• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2009 KTM enduro R

Wasabi

Reaction score
WOW found this 2009 KTM 690 Enduro by accident while on TWTEX with link to craig list. Donation to TWTEX coming.

I was looking for something to replace the 2000 KLR . Now I am hoping to ride MOAB and Mexico this year.

Just when I was feeling comfortable with the upkeep of the 2000 KLR and 2003 Vstrom. I now add a new bike to the learning curve. This bike has a custom rack with a roto pax gas can attachment. it is going to be a challenge with how to attach the cargo.

The bike had some issues after I bought it with the tail lights and engine noise. Took it to North Texas KTM. They did a complete engine service. I should be issue free for a while.

Anybody know something about 2009 KTM that I should know. I have checked out ADVrider and Thumper Talk so far.

IMG_0676-M.jpg

IMG_0687-M.jpg

IMG_0695-M.jpg

IMG_0703-M.jpg

Intersting custom rack

IMG_0712-M.jpg

IMG_0714-M.jpg

IMG_0716-M.jpg

IMG_0719-M.jpg

Nice score. Apart from the small gas tank (which you've solved by the Rotopax) this may be the perfect road & trail ready machine.

Now I am hoping to ride MOAB and Mexico this year.

Nice find, Bill. Congrats. I think you're really going to have a blast putting the 690 through it's paces.

They work well in Moab.

DSC03414.jpg

Wasabi, nice find. How many miles? Subframe bushings will start to sag around 15K depending on use. Tougher bushings are available. If riding alot of single track or two track dirt you will want to make sure the steering angle is in, there are two settings. I have a write up about it in the KTM Thumper thread. Some people have had fuel pump problems. I have put 19K on mine and replaced the filter twice without any problem with the pump. It will eat up 606 Dunlops but I can get 1,5K out of a MT21 rear and twice that out of the front. I am always hard on the gas so I consider that pretty good mileage. And they stick on pavement like a street tire. :thumb:

Sam

If riding alot of single track or two track dirt you will want to make sure the steering angle is in, there are two settings. I have a write up about it in the KTM Thumper thread.
Sam

Sam, what is the link to that thread? I've been looking for info on that.

Well I have a defective brain cell! :haha: I went back thru all the pages of KTM Thumper Discussion and even thou I found a lot of great articles from everyone I did not find the article that I remember posting about streering stem change. So I went to photo gallery and looked for the pictures. Not there!?? :ponder::uhoh: So that brain cell with that memory needs to be flushed. :thumbd:
Here is an article that I referenced that will help you. It's better pictures and explanation than I could do.
I like it for the dirt, it's a little twitchy on the fast sweepers on accel. It is mandatory that you get your rear sag set correctly for it to feel right.

Sam

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517497

A wise old man once told me, "your brain will turn to mush if you don't stop using so much castro oil in that mix." I guess he was to late for his advice. ;-)

Sam

Great info. The bike has 11000 miles. The subframe bushing will be my next mantenance update. Another challenge will be how to use the custom luggage rack with the bags I have. Next to lean is how to change flat tire while on the road. Any suggestions on a list of tools I should have for adventure riding.
I have most of the tire change gadgets. They are great when needed but sucks because of the extra weight.

Thanks for the info Sam :clap:

Bill

... Next to lean is how to change flat tire while on the road. Any suggestions on a list of tools I should have for adventure riding.
I have most of the tire change gadgets. They are great when needed but sucks because of the extra weight.

The weight melts away to nothingness when you need them. :trust:

Thanks for the info Sam :clap:

Bill

See the Mad Scientist Tire Academy thread HERE

I have a set of these that I camp out of. They are tough and keep all your gear dry.

http://wolfmanluggage.com/products/expedition-dry-saddle-bags

I also have a set of the street bags that I first used. They are not made anymore, they were tough but not for what I was using them for. I also have a tank bag (even thou our tanks are in the back) it fits good at the front of the seat and straps to the frame. Then I have a tail bag on the rear tail section. And the Roto pax mounted on the right side, extra 2 gallons. And for some reason when I travel and camp I have to use a large Camelback that I have to use. :argh:
I am sorry I have no pictures on TWT of my set up. There may be some in one of the ride reports. :huh:
I you want some pictures just PM me and I can get some from my cell phone and text them to you.

Sam

What you need are at least two levers that are long. 17 inches preferred, but not required. I have some aluminum ones that are stupid light. Then a bead buddy (the motion pro aluminum one is light works well and nicely made) and a valve core tool (you can use the metal valve stem caps that have the tool on top of them. Then you also need a way to air up when your done. Mountain bike pumps will work OK and are lighter than the little 12 volt stripped down air pumps. That should get you. Practice in the garage with only the tools in your bag.

Plenty of good videos out there on how to do it.

http://www.cyclegear.com/motorcycle/Tire-Lever The bead breaker would be handy as well. I have that set in orange. Works well for the axle nuts (why I carry them). I use bibs on the 300. I have a great setup for the garage.

I'd make sure that KTM tool actually works with the KTM axle. The one for my 300 does not actually work though it is the correct size. The tool is thin and double sided. The nut for the rear axle machined routed on the edges. I was told this was specific to the XC for this 13 year so I really don't know. The wrench just slips right off when you try and use it. The double sided part makes the do close to the end so it does not actually work. I tried every which way and not matter what I did it slips off. I actually found this out in the garage using my butt bag for maintenance. Hence the extra set of lever/axle wrenches.

Re: OEM KTM Axle Nut Wrenches

I'd make sure that KTM tool actually works with the KTM axle. The one for my 300 does not actually work though it is the correct size. The tool is thin and double sided. ...

Similar experience with my 625SMC. The wrench is the right size (26mm) but too lightweight (and short) to get a properly torqued (65lb-ft) axle nut off. I bent two. I'll be carrying my 1 1/16 Impact Socket and pull handle or ratchet.

Your foot works well for that when tighten. put the wrench on the top of the bolt leaning forward. Then put the boot on it and lean. Worked pretty well in the mountains on my 450. With the short "S" shaped one from the kit.

Your foot works well for that when tighten. put the wrench on the top of the bolt leaning forward. Then put the boot on it and lean. Worked pretty well in the mountains on my 450. With the short "S" shaped one from the kit.

Don't have to worry about tightening when you can't get it loose first! The "S" wrenches are the ones I bent.

Back