TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #21
Jarrett
Forum Supporter

Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

I scoped it out before pulling the trigger

I think we did cross it. We cross a bunch of rivers or the same river a bunch of times
2012 NC700X
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #22
Jeff S
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
I scoped it out before pulling the trigger

I think we did cross it. We cross a bunch of rivers or the same river a bunch of times
The James River isn't one you'd forget. REALLY long, 100 yards at least and 10 to 20 inches deep, depending on which side you take...

Quiz: anyone know of a longer / deeper crossing in Texas?

Last edited by Jeff S; 06-22-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Jeff S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #23
MacDaddy

Looks like this.

With real authentic wind noise to boot.

Gray 14 Tenere ES
White 12 Burgman Exec (You got a problem with that?)
White 18 Honda PCX (153 cc of Heck and Fury)

Last edited by MacDaddy; 06-22-2018 at 09:11 AM.
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #24
Jarrett
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messenjah View Post
Thanks for the kind words Jarrett. We had a great time with you, Gary and Patrick! I think the best part of the tours we do is the friends we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
Hey, did you all get a chance to cross the James river?
Wes, did we cross the James River?
2012 NC700X
Old 06-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #25
Messenjah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Wes, did we cross the James River?

No. We went down James River road for a picture spot, but turned around and continued on tour. We offer that option sometimes if people want to do it, but it’s pretty treacherous and most folks on the 500+ lb bikes don’t want to fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Messenjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #26
MacDaddy

There's nothing particularly difficult about riding in water that deep or deeper. What makes it interesting is that darn algae hiding at the bottom.

Gray 14 Tenere ES
White 12 Burgman Exec (You got a problem with that?)
White 18 Honda PCX (153 cc of Heck and Fury)
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #27
Messenjah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
There's nothing particularly difficult about riding in water that deep or deeper. What makes it interesting is that darn algae hiding at the bottom.

Exactly, and the slower the water is flowing the worse it gets.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #28
dualsportvet

Quote:
Exactly, and the slower the water is flowing the worse it gets.

Yea, I got attached by the ninja moss once. They are relentless little ninjas!

Lucky for me it was hot as you know what and I was on the DR650 not the AT.

Texas Africa Twin Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408075406212122/

Combat Engineers 89-2001, can't get there without us.
dualsportvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #29
Jarrett
Forum Supporter

Quote:
No. We went down James River road for a picture spot, but turned around and continued on tour. We offer that option sometimes if people want to do it, but it’s pretty treacherous and most folks on the 500+ lb bikes don’t want to fall.
Dang, now I want to go on down that road. Next time
2012 NC700X
Old 06-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #30
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

The worst drop in water I've ever had on any kind of crossing was water about 1/4" dp on concrete...

The algae though...

I could barely stand on it without falling!! Getting the bike back up without help was a real challenge!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #31
Messenjah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
The worst drop in water I've ever had on any kind of crossing was water about 1/4" dp on concrete...

The algae though...

I could barely stand on it without falling!! Getting the bike back up without help was a real challenge!

Yeah. Last time we did it a guy on a KLR fell twice on his bike and once just walking...

Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #32
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Just like that, nerve and concentration.
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #33
Jarrett
Forum Supporter

Wes sent me this video recently with a couple of water crossings from the trip back in June. Thought some might enjoy:

On the second one, I wanted to really accelerate out of it, but forgot to dial back the traction control and it kicked in hard on the exit

I love the music, makes it seem much more dramatic than it was
2012 NC700X

Last edited by Jarrett; 08-09-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #34
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Wow, that first crossing was really low! Last time I was out there a few years ago the water went a lot further up onto each side and it got pretty deep. We had several riders go down there. One flooded his engine and we had to pull the spark plug to get him going again.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote