• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chaps or Riding Pants???

N

NomadMat

I just picked up my Harley 883R last week and am planning for road trips and the winter. I have been doing some reading on both chaps and riding pants. Does anyone have an opinion either way and if so does anyone know about the sizing of each?

NomadMat said:
I just picked up my Harley 883R last week and am planning for road trips and the winter. I have been doing some reading on both chaps and riding pants. Does anyone have an opinion either way and if so does anyone know about the sizing of each?

Definitely pants. Chaps don't have armor for knees and hips, and don't protect enough skin.

From what I've read, your best bet is pants that zip to your jacket (unless you wear a 3/4 length jacket).

Lee
"Mr. Safety" to his family

(Who isn't riding right now, but hopes to be again soon)

:tab Chaps are good for protecting you from road debris like rocks and such, things that come at you from the front. In a get off, they are not gonna do a whole lot for you unless they are very well secured to your legs so they can't slide or rotate while you are sliding down the road. They don't generally offer impact protection at all. Also, a good pair of riding pants may also be water proof so you don't have to worry about rain. Chaps certainly look cooler though :-P

Pants because they are more versatile. Mesh ones for summer that include armor. Some have leg zippers so you can open them up for more cooling when stopped. My Vanson's do not however but flow a lot of air for cooling when on the bike.

For winter go with leather or insulated textile.

For either of the above you can get matching jackets. I use Vanson mesh jacket and pants for summer. A bit more expensive but there are other solutions from New Enough or other internet suppliers.

Dave

which should be more important abrasion resistance v. impact protection? On the harley, aesthetically chaps. Can't beat the pirate look. On trips I have worn riding pants, but mostly for the warmth.

Cadaver said:
which should be more important abrasion resistance v. impact protection? On the harley, aesthetically chaps. Can't beat the pirate look. On trips I have worn riding pants, but mostly for the warmth.

What difference does it make what you're riding?
If you're talking about which is better for protection, (abrasion + impact) obviously, chaps do not compare to specifically designed riding pants. Most chaps, like the ones made by H-D, are only somewhat protective simply because they're made out of leather. They're designed to look cool, like a biker-dude.
If you wanna look like a Harley guy, wear chaps, if you wanna be safe, wear pants.

Isn't there a link somewhere on this board to another board that has a picture of a guy's butt after a slide? No chaps for me!

BigRoach said:
What difference does it make what you're riding?
If you're talking about which is better for protection, (abrasion + impact) .

Sorry, I was asking in a more general sense. abrasion v. impact, either way pants would be the answer.

The biker in the village people wore chaps. Enough said.

Chaps protect me from wind and cold not from asphalt and gravel. Since I can take them off in a restaurant and not overheat, I like them better than long johns or overpants. Chaps do provide better crash protection than jeans but not as good as riding pants. Personally, I prefer leather jeans when riding the Harley.

What I've noticed with riders wearing chaps is that in most low side accidents, the first thing to contact the ground is their buttocks or hip. They seem to offer fairly good leg and knee protection, just nothing else. I vote for pants, but as with a lot of the protective gear, its all a compromise and you have to establish your comfort level. I often wear jeans instead of overpants, so the chaps would be an upgrade. Your call.

Since I ride a Harley and do have a set of chaps and Joe Rocket gear, here is my two cents for the cold riding time in Houston (Jan 12th thru Feb 15th). Pants. After wearing the pants, I just feel a bit safer with them on. Now, if they made some that the inseam was remotely close to mine (36") I'd be even happier. Besides, it's fun to be one of the few, the proud, the weird to wear Joe Rocket gear on a Harley. All kinds of funny looks from folks.:trust:

Mat, At the end of the day it's your choice however as you can tell there is a strong push for pants.

I like the XL883R since it is imitating the the XR flat tracker and in fact years ago I almost bought a sportster to turn it into a street flat tracker with parts fro Storz. It it were me I'd get a pair of mesh pants that have a better fit since some of the textile pants shall we say do not look cool however they work well.

As I posted before I really like my Vanson mesh gear. Good fit, looks good, has armor in the right places and flows a good amout of air.

Thanks for all of the comments. Some of you have some really good information to impart. What it boils down to is what makes me look very very cool out there on the road. Just kidding. I started this thread to get both views and I have gotten them. Keep em coming if you have something to add. Much appreciated.

Chaps look silly unless what you are riding has tapadaros and your wearing spurs. :lol2:
That and my sombrero kept blowing off.:trust:

jhansen said:
Since I ride a Harley and do have a set of chaps and Joe Rocket gear, here is my two cents for the cold riding time in Houston (Jan 12th thru Feb 15th). Pants. After wearing the pants, I just feel a bit safer with them on. Now, if they made some that the inseam was remotely close to mine (36") I'd be even happier. Besides, it's fun to be one of the few, the proud, the weird to wear Joe Rocket gear on a Harley. All kinds of funny looks from folks.:trust:

You should try Cycleport (www.motoport.com) for some custom pants that fit.

Lee
(Lusting after the mesh Kevlar gear)

I have seen a guys butt after a get off with chaps. His right cheek was saved due to his wallet, left was not so lucky. But that being said, I wear jeans in the summer (look up draggin jeans, the icon ones are too hip for me) So the chaps would be an upgrade to regular jeans.

Also on a cruiser, my wife ended up hitting the ground and rolling into on coming traffic at 45-55 mph. The joe rocket breathable jacket and chaps kept her blood free. Your call, they are better than nothing.

Compromise. A pair of Draggin Jeans (denim looking construction and style with designed in padding and armor in those critical places) for the protection and a set of chaps, with fringe, for the image.

Of course, if you top these off with a sleeveless black muscle shirt, fingerless mesh gloves, and a do-rag, you might as well wear your Bermudas.

BigRoach said:
I don't wear my chaps outside of the bedroom!

Does it protect well against carpet burns ? (grin)

I ride with armored pants as well most of the time....(some days are just tediously hot lately)

Back