• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Windscreen Install - Holeshot/SkidMarx Double Bubble

Thanks to DRW, I now have a skidmarx W/Screen. Installed it today, will go check it out on a ride later. My thanks to DRW, and to you guys who have posted info on screens and how to install them. Was a snap to install, but I think I'll take it back off later on and trim a small area just behind the front mount hole. I see a bit of interference with the inner fairing cover making it stick out just a bit. Those little rubber mounted nuts were almost a pain, until I put a bit of oil on them and the screw..worked easily then.
355615925.gif

:rider:

I must say, that taller SkidMarx fits the proportions of the bike better than the OEM screen. I look forward to reading your impression of it's protection, noise, etc.

I must say, that taller SkidMarx fits the proportions of the bike better than the OEM screen. I look forward to reading your impression of it's protection, noise, etc.

Two rides on it, and some impressions.
I think the noise level is no worse than stock, and the comfort level is much better. I like the looks, would like it a bit darker, but its bettern stock <g>.
Riding it, I notice a real difference at all speeds. I'm 5'8". Around town it has a better bubble behind it, at 60 I love it. On the Interstate I get a bit of buffetting at anything over 75 (still less than the stock). The best thing I've noted is that my helmet stays put better. I rode on I-4 friday , and really had a problem keeping my helmet comfortable, the wind was trying to raise it. After I installed it Saturday, and rode it then and today, its much better. I don't have to cinch my helmet down as tightly. Much more comfortable. My helmet is a full face HJC Cl-15. I may break out my old Shoei and try it later.
All in all, much happier with the new screen. Gotta get used to the profile while riding though..looks much taller from the saddle .

I was surprised recently when I found myself on a 'Net site selling SkidMarx windscreens..... in a variety of heights, colors, shades and shapes. Either the Bandit 1250 has a limited selection available, or our vendors are offering only the lightly tinted taller version. But I must say I'm (more) interested now in the available SkidMarx, thank you for posting your impressions.

Anybody notice micro cracks in their DB (skidmarx, HS bought) I have had mine for a while now but after installing it and breaking it in (hi speed run) I noticed a few small lines in it (micro cracks). Issue has not gotten any worse and screen is solid but wondering if any one else has this issue. Do not know if it is the tint or the plastic.

Mark

Looks good Greg!

I ordered the Suzuki Double Bubble screen today for $55 from the stealer.

My Givi windscreen is for-sale if anyone is interested, contact me. Nothing wrong with it I just wanted a change.:rider:

I am interested in your Givi windscreen. Going to be touring this summer-- would be great to try the windscreen out. Please get back to me at danmac53@yahoo.com

I've ridden with the stock screen (briefly - it's useless) the Skidmarx d/b screen (didn't fit well, looked horrible but more protection than stock) and for the last few thousand miles the Suzuki Touring d/b screen which is the best of the three by far. But both d/b screens are a LONG way from offering visor-up or open face riding.

Sproggy: I know the above is an old post, but I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Skidmarx, the Suzuki Touring, or just stick with stock, and I'm wondering how tall you are. Knowing your height compared to mine would qualify the above.

Many thanks,

Hi,
I just installed the Suzuki 'Touring' screen and it is much better than standard. Not at the visor up no turbulence level but at a level that is, for me, acceptable. I am 187cm, 6'2', in US speak, and ended up getting the screen sent over from Wisconsin - much cheaper than anywhere in OZ.

surfacc,
I'm happy you have solved your windblast issue but where are the pics?!
We believe nothing without pics. :mrgreen:

What's the latest: Still waiting for you connected folk to enlighten the rest of us. Went for a 200 mile run today along CA. HWY ONE. Found that anything above 85 MPH on the stock speedo, with the Powerbronze touring windshield, was about what I would like to achieve, (less noise and buffeting), at legal speeds with that aloof windscreen, without compromising looks. Just Wondering

I could not be happier with my ZG touring and Laminar lip set up I've been running for the last few thousand miles in wind or rain. Beats anything I've tried yet on this bike.

I could not be happier with my ZG touring and Laminar lip set up I've been running for the last few thousand miles in wind or rain. Beats anything I've tried yet on this bike.

You know what...I still have my ZG after taking it off wishing that it was just a few inches taller...What Laminar Lip are you using ? This might be something I need to try.

I had ordered one for the stock Bandit windshield but just used some spacers and put it on the ZG. I wish some one made one like the ZG but, about 4 inches taller or so. Even higher. You and always cut them down easier than adding to them.
LaminarZGTour1.jpg

Radarsetup4-5-20103-07-04PM.jpg

Anybody notice micro cracks in their DB (skidmarx, HS bought) I have had mine for a while now but after installing it and breaking it in (hi speed run) I noticed a few small lines in it (micro cracks). Issue has not gotten any worse and screen is solid but wondering if any one else has this issue. Do not know if it is the tint or the plastic.

Mark

I remember Suzukijo's posting up about his Skidmarx DB cracking, and the Givi screen I bought also cracked on me.

I remember Suzukijo's posting up about his Skidmarx DB cracking, and the Givi screen I bought also cracked on me.

I have lots of what look like internal spidering on mine. I keep tapping it to see if its weak, but so far it seems ok. I'll take some pics in a bit and see if they show up. It seems to be getting worse. I first noticed them about 2 months after installation...been about a year and a half now. I like the screen...for me (5'8") it works well

I have had a Laminar Lip attached to my stock windscreen for close to 30,000 kilometers. This setup works reasonably well, within an acceptable amount of buffeting, but the noise is such that earplugs are essential.

I switched back to the Suzuki Sport Touring screen after returning two weeks ago from a ride to Pikes Peak. It's quieter, but I get way too much buffeting on my shoulders, and I find it difficult to maintain a straight line within my lane as the wind constantly knocks me around.

After reading the comments on different windscreen setups, I came close on separate occasions to ordering both the Givi D262S windscreen and the Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen. My thought was I could add the Laminar Lip, but I hesitated. I thought I had exhausted any alternatives, but then I came across the Madstad-Robobracket 3 pc System, 20" Adventure Shield.
http://aviciouscycle.ca/MainPages/productpage.aspx?productid=5735

http://aviciouscycle.ca/MainPages/productpage.aspx?productid=5735

A couple of riders posted on AdvRider that they were really happy with the product, but they weren't riding the Bandit. Any Bandit riders tried this setup?

The windshield / fairing combo on the 1250 bandit some seems to hit some weird airflow bad spot of noise and buffeting . Naked bikes are quieter and smoother. I've been through four different screens looking for 'the one' They just seem to change the annoyance zone around . Judging by the bazillion windscreen posts I am not alone.

Evidently the trick is to get a more vertical angle on the shield with an add on or something like that . Look at the madstad linked above ; It's definitely angled up

Last edited:
The beauty of this system would seem to be that the angles and height can be varied. Based on other bikes I have ridden, the more verticle the adjustment has caused more buffeting and wind noise, but that is somewhat dependent on the riders height.

The 20" screen almost looks too big, but Madstad says that riders 6' and over should have the big screen. I have always enjoyed the sportiness of the Bandit and a big screen like that definitely detracts from the overall look of the bike.
Perhaps the Madstad system would work with the big shield for touring and a smaller shield for short distances.

I ordered the Madstad windscreen and bracket from Twisted Throttle (a.k.a. Viscious Cycle). My Bandit is a 2009, but what I received was for a 2010, and there is some question as to whether Madstad ever made one for a 2009. The bottom line is that the plate that attaches to the fairing does not even remotely fit. I think the reason is that Suzuki changed the fairing design from 2009 to 2010. So once again I am back to looking for an effective screen. Twisted Throttle sells the MRA Vario, so that might be a reasonable option. I met up with a fellow Bandit rider a couple of years ago that had that screen, and he seemed pleased with it. I am 6 feet tall, and he looked about 5' 10", so it might work. It couldn't be any worse than the stock screen, the stock screen with the laminar lip, or the Suzuki touring screen.....then again, it could be.

I have a couple of friends with 650 VStroms who have the Madstad screen and they having nothing but good things to say about them.

Back