• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shark S800 helmet

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Greenwood
Welcome to my review. To get started, a few things.
1. I have very little other helmet experience to compare this with.
2. All riding at speed is done on 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 500.
3. Noise is subjective. I listen to music loud, have had a modified sound setup in my cars for the last 4 years. I do have a slight problem with my right ear. Still can hear fine, but occasionally have some issues.

On to the review.

s800_fusiontec_bkm.jpg

This is the helmet.

PRICING
Shark makes this helmet with several different graphics. Too my knowledge, they no longer carry this model in the US. They still make it for other markets. Retail cost is $249.99, with graphics going up to $289.99.

I was able to try on several Shark Helmets at Toms Small Engine Repair, a Suzuki dealership in Burleson, TX. Toms had a decent selection of these helmets, all at retail. He also carries a few AGV helmets. I got my helmet on clearance from Shade Tree Motorcycle for $169.99. I got lucky with the last one in stock, according to them. They did have other colors/styles available.

Fit
I purchased the XL, although after wearing it, it has loosened up a bit. The L didnt feel right in the store. It is a bit loose now, but not bad.

I tried on Aria Quantum 2, it fit horrible. I also tried on a Shoei RF1000. It fit pretty good, but out of my price range. I also like the HJC, KBC, and the Scorpion helmets fit. I didnt try on any AGV, Suomy, high end Sharks, etc.
The chin bar on this helmet is pretty close to your mouth. Jay Leno need not apply. It is also a fairly "short" helmet, in that it doesnt come very far below my chin.

Vents

The following picture is a S800 Butterfly graphic. It shows the vents the best.
shark_butterfly-34_.jpg

As you can see, there is a vent on top of the head, and on the chin bar. These vents are pushed in, allowing air to flow in. The small grey button you see is the release for closing the vents.

Venting is pretty good, though I have only ridden up to the low 90s. you get noticable airflow from both. The head vent does creat a slight whistling noise at speeds over 45, though my bike puts alot of turbulance right arround my head. Lower vent has no noticeable noise.

With vents closed, there is still noise, although while riding recently I noticed alot of this is from buffeting from windsheild. If I sit up higher, noise is reduced greatly. Riding in regular position, slight lean foward, with vents closed, I can hear the engine at 60mph, even with wind buffeting.

This is not a quiet helmet, though I dont consider it loud either. It does not bother me riding at speed. noise is noticeable, but not offensive.

Finish

This is a very well made helmet. I am still a bit worried about the vents popping in and out, though not even a hint of a problem yet. Finish quality seems very nice. Liner looks like this (again stolen Butterfly graphic picture)
shark_butterfly-interieur_.jpg

The contact parts of the liner are a soft, flece like material. Other parts are a leather like material. Liner is fully removable for washing. Also, under the liner in the top area are there "crash zones" The foam is channeled, for both a crumple zone effect, as well as (percieved) slight cooling effect. I can feel the wind farther back than in the HJC I was wearing before.

Other points

The visor on this is wonderful. Very good optics, perfect when closed. If you look through the bottom edge (while visor is half open) you will notice some distortions. Visor does fog when sitting still, but not an issue for me, even with vents closed while riding. At stop lights I open visor a hair.
Visor can be opened to about 7 different postions. from about 1/3'' up to full open, with possitive stops in between. I have riddine with it open about 3/4 an inch, up to about 55mph. no problems at all.

the little nose/breath guard you see in the picture above is included, and does a decent job of keeping the visor from fogging. Visor appears to seal very well, no noticeable wind arround visor when down.

The visor on/off mechanisim is simple, and takes about 2 seconds per side. Refering to the top picture. The small silver button at the back of the visor is all you have to push to release each side. Slide new one in, making sure it catches, and your done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I am one of the few poeple here wearing a Shark helmet, and I dont have a lot of experience with other helmets. Please feel free to coment on the review, what I could do better. I will try to answer any specefic questions you may have, and you are more than welcome to check it out at the Johnson county M&G's, or whenever you see me.

If a Shark helmet fit my head, I would wear nothing else. The "crumple zones" in the foam are one of a kind and IMO on the next level compared to any other helmet maker. Money well spent as long as it fits your head.

I tried a Shark Helmet...But the nose thing in the middle of my face was too long. I did notice the airflow was excellent. I just wish they had been a little longer in the nose area.

Speaking on the crumple zone / safety. That was one of the things that sold me on Shark. No one else has any kind of improvements / changes to the standard solid EPS liner. I like that they added a (perceived) bit of safety. That said, this helmet is DOT approved, and ECE 22-05 approved. It is not Snell approved.. My understanding is that all of the current US helmets are Snell approved, but they didn't bother with the first few years of US production. While at the store, I noticed a lot of helmets with a "Snell 2005 approved" sticker applied to the face shield, though didn't see anything on the back of them. My guess is they did some testing, and instead of recalling all the ones already out / made, they just added a sticker.

MenWen, that nose / breath guard is removable. I take mine out on warmer days, and put it in on colder rides. It does help, but I still fog a little if I sit at a stop light.

Unfortunately it wasn't the breath guard that my shnozz was hitting. It was the chin bar. The Shark was returned. Ended up with a KBC. Now that we have the Wing I'm using an open face. Big nose problem solved.

Back