• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

CES-GPS- Motorcycle Electronic Farkels

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
McDonald
I finally got my box of materials (that I sent to myself from Las Vegas because it was too much to carry on the plane) that I collected at the Consumer Electronics Show. There were a lot of GPSs this year (like last year). They are adding features and of course, they showed the new motorcycle models from Tom Tom and Garmin. Both are set up with large buttons and scrolling features making adjustments easier with gloves. As I recall the Tom Tom Rider has a safety feature that reduces the number of functions you can change once you are moving. They both have bluetooth (optional on Garmin) so that you can use a cell phone while riding (I am surprised that this was not mentioned as a non working function while moving, maybe they just didn't tell me that). I notice that the Garmin even went to the effort to make the control buttons operable with the left hand. Both are expensive with suggested retail prices over $1000. There are deep discounts available. Look for prices around $700.00. I have seen them listed everywhere from $1125 down to $699.99. There are also a lot of "no-name" models from Taiwan and mainland China. Overall, they have the same performance and some of these factories are probably making the Garmins and Tom Toms.
The big added features on the high end models this year were the addition of bluetooth, satellite radio reception, PMPs and even a radar detector in one model.

Opps I have to eat dinner and will have to send another e-mail to finish. More to come on HUD (heads up display) cameras for video, GPS trackers

I was hoping to get over and see Garmin but got tied up in customer meetings or helping on the floor. Maybe next year or I'll have a GPS by then.

Back