TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,... > Gadgets and more...

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #41
Thrasherg

Re: Very low cost Bluetooth communicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWTim View Post
I definitely agree that Senas are overpriced. But to be fair, if you look at the total number of advantages a Sena 20 has when compared to these knockoffs, there really is no comparison. The range is far better, the sound quality is topnotch, and the Sena supports tons of intercom connections at once, instead of just one at a time like the copycat.
These cheap $30 units claim that you can sync upto 4 units together which is the same as my sena 10's!! I agree the Sena's are probably better quality so we we will use those on our road bikes, but for our dirt bikes where range and quality doesn't matter, we are loving these cheap units, and almost anyone can afford $30 if they want to get a unit and ride with us and speak with us on DS rides!! As mentioned, I have no idea how well these cheap units play with other intercoms, my wife and I will always be using the same units (sena for road & the cheap units for DS & Dirt).

Gary
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
05 & 06 CRF450X (spares for friends!)
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:54 AM   #42
TWTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasherg View Post
These cheap $30 units claim that you can sync upto 4 units together which is the same as my sena 10's!!
The one originally linked will supposedly do three, but as I understand it, you can only talk to one person at a time. The Sena 30K will reportedly do up to 16 simultaneous connections at once. Otherwise, yes, I totally understand where you're coming from on some of your other points.

2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

TIM KREITZ ADVENTURES
www.timkreitz.com
TWTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #43
JMZ
Forum Supporter

Just tried to link my sena 20 with bwdmax`s cheapo and it didnt work. BUT, we didnt have much time to try and figure it out and it might have been something really simple preventing us from linking up.
93 CT70
JMZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #44
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMZ View Post
Just tried to link my sena 20 with bwdmax`s cheapo and it didnt work. BUT, we didnt have much time to try and figure it out and it might have been something really simple preventing us from linking up.
Went back to Gearbest's site and read their customer asked questions. Only 5 or 6 down the list found this:
By Marsh Miranda Mar-01/2017 09:03:58
Question:
Can this connect to scala or sena?
Reply::
Hi Marsh,

Sorry, it can not connect to scala or sena.

Looks like I don't have to turn my BT off when riding with JMZ after all. Lol

In all honesty it would have been a nice feature to control at my option. But I really bought mine for emergency and business critical phone use only. Time will tell if using this unit will sell me on upgrading later.

For the group rides you'll need to break up into subgroups if you want to communicate. "Skinny and Fats", as in your wallets after purchasing the BT unit.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #45
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTL View Post
New record battery life test. Did a 10 hour ride listening to fm radio and music on my phone the whole time. No intercomm use as I was riding alone.
I got 9 hrs and 50 minutes of continuous mixed use today (no standby in that time). Phone, text, FM and mp3.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 03-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #46
Thrasherg

My wife and I went on a DS ride at the weekend with 7 other riders and after 7 hours and 30 minutes of continuous use it started to beep low battery and turned off, so I will assume a limit of 7 hours use for future rides. This is the best gear intercom, not the Sena.

Gary
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
Old 03-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #47
RTL

Thrasherg were y'all using the intercom feature for the 7.5 hours? Maybe the intercom uses more power than the radio or music streaming?
RTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #48
Thrasherg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTL View Post
Thrasherg were y'all using the intercom feature for the 7.5 hours? Maybe the intercom uses more power than the radio or music streaming?
We were ONLY using the intercom function for the full 7.5 hours, we turned them on at 7:30am in Intercom mode and never touched them until they turned off shortly after 3:00pm. We where talking almost all the time we were riding, to point out things to look at or discuss issues other riders were having.

Gary
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
Old 03-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #49
RTL

That's still not bad battery life. Only drawback is the charge port is the speaker/mic port so we can't charge and continue to use at the same time. Oh well for $30 what can one expect?
Old 03-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #50
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

As a comparison, my daughter and I did a trip last fall and used a pair of Sena 20S. They were on and connected from 8:30am to about 6:30pm every day. We talked a LOT every day during the rides. She would also listen to music from her iPhone. We never had any low battery issues other than the very first day because I forgot to charge mine before leaving home. They can be used/charged at the same time if you have a suitable outlet on your bike, but we never needed it. At the end of each day, I would grab both and plug them in before we went to get dinner. They were usually fully charged by the time we went to bed 3-4 hours later.

On local rides, it has been the same. So long as I remember to charge them the night before, the battery has always lasted the entire day no matter how much we have used them.

Since we wear ear plugs, we usually operate them at full volume all the time. Not sure how much that might affect battery life on any of these kinds of units.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #51
Downs

Is there a way to hook earbuds to this device?

78 GS1000 (Tennessee Hillbilly)

03 TW200

08 MazdaSpeed3
Downs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #52
RTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downs View Post
Is there a way to hook earbuds to this device?
I don't think so without doing some wire splicing. The wire harness that connects to the mic/speakers plugs into the mini HDMI port that is also where the charger plugs in.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #53
Thrasherg

Well I found the Achilles heal for these cheap intercoms. My Sena10S allows me to pair with 3 other headsets and have a 4 person group intercom, these units are limited to 3 people, but they have NO group intercom mode, so you can only speak with one other person and if you want to speak with a 3rd person, you have to disconnect with the one you are talking to and then connect with the 3rd person.. I ride with my wife and daughter so the limit of 3 people in a group was not an issue, but NOT having the group function means these are effectively useless for me when we ride as a family, cant keep disconnecting each person and checking with the other and then connecting back.. Real shame as they work exceedingly well for just 2 people.. Have had to go back to the Sena10S for dirt bike riding (was using the Sena's for road riding) and now purchased some Sena20S for road use!! Now have 4 cheap units that I need to find a use for!! Will probably use 2 of them on my bicycle helmet as only the wife and I ride together (kids aren't interested in bicycles!!), then need another use for the remaining 2 units!! If they could add group communication then these cheap units would be superb for us!!

Gary
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200

Last edited by Thrasherg; 04-01-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #54
JB3

Thanks for the feedback on pairing. I have some 20s's and that would be a deal-breaker for me. At least I know they are out there if the need arises.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #55
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I am glad you mentioned this! I was thinking of getting some to use for dirt riding with the kids and I would have run into the same problem as you.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 04-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #56
kylerbry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Went back to Gearbest's site and read their customer asked questions. Only 5 or 6 down the list found this:
[i]By Marsh Miranda Mar-01/2017 09:03:58

In all honesty it would have been a nice feature to control at my option.

_
SilverBullet - This is a great find! For many out there that cannot afford to invest 3-400 in a Bluetooth communicator this is an awesome alternative ! I for one appreciate the post and the find. I am currently running the Sena 10s , i had just purchased my daughters SMH10 for 300 and I'm really wishing i would have known about this headset. I would have easily purchased two units and saved nearly 400 dollars!
kylerbry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #57
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerbry View Post
SilverBullet - This is a great find! For many out there that cannot afford to invest 3-400 in a Bluetooth communicator this is an awesome alternative ! I for one appreciate the post and the find. I am currently running the Sena 10s , i had just purchased my daughters SMH10 for 300 and I'm really wishing i would have known about this headset. I would have easily purchased two units and saved nearly 400 dollars!
Be sure to check out this post,

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost...8&postcount=53

and this one,

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost...1&postcount=44

Quote:

Old 05-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #58
jqueen

Quote:
Music streaming simple and no frills. You can change tracks via the units buttons but sound volume only controlled from phone. Sound is good but extreme lack of bass compared to my custom molded ear buds. Normal listening level are fine though.

FM radio has great clear reception even inside the house. No volume control whatsoever though. Default level is just about right for me so no big complaint. If you like low volume elevator background music you might not be happy.
On mine, the + and - buttons change track or station if you single press them, but if you hold them down they change the volume.

My wife's online store - Lilleaf Cards and Gifts
jqueen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #59
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqueen View Post
On mine, the + and - buttons change track or station if you single press them, but if you hold them down they change the volume.
Thanks as I didn't catch that in the manual first go around. That will be especially useful when wearing winter gloves that can't touchscreen control my phone.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 05-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #60
bwdmax
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqueen View Post
Quote:
Thanks as I didn't catch that in the manual first go around. That will be especially useful when wearing winter gloves that can't touchscreen control my phone.

_
I read that but still have not been successful. Truth is I have only ran it one time.

The functionality that SB describes in previous post have not been realized with my IPhone. I can answer a call and call back the last number dialed only. I can't or haven't been able to access my contacts. I don't have any music on my phone so haven't explored that feature. The main use for me was to communicate with my wife while two up and it works for that.

Gary
525 EXC & 650 V-Strom (mine)
CRF150F (family) CRF110F (Daughter)
Foreman 450 (family) TRX250R (could be yours)
XR250R (Son)

http://www.matamoroschildrenshome.org/
bwdmax is online now   Reply With Quote