• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Austin TARA: Monthly ride

Riders,

The Saturday ride is April 7th.

Starting with the April 2018 ride the starting location of the first Saturday ride is changing so as to avoid the traffic on Hwy 290.

The new meeting location is the Texaco convenience store at the intersection of Hwy 12 and Hamilton Pool Road.

I have updated the monthly GPS routes to reflect the new starting point. I have also made a few other modifications to the several of the routes, so please download the newest version of the gpx file.

How much of the "San Saba" loop being ridden this weekend is on dirt roads? I'm just learning how to work with gpx files and can't figure out how to determine road type when reviewing the track. Thanks!

Last edited:
How much of the "San Saba" loop being ridden this weekend is on dirt roads? I'm just learning how to work with gpx files and can't figure out how to determine road type when reviewing the track. Thanks!

I would estimate 25-40% will be dirt.

Since most published maps do not distinguish between dirt and small paved roads, the best way is to load the tracks on to gpsvisualizer.com and view them overlaid on satellite images. Even then its often difficult because the older faded asphalt/chip seal is often the color of dirt roads.

Since most published maps do not distinguish between dirt and small paved roads, the best way is to load the tracks on to gpsvisualizer.com and view them overlaid on satellite images. Even then its often difficult because the older faded asphalt/chip seal is often the color of dirt roads.

Thanks for the info!

Awesome to hear that much is dirt. I'm in for this one. First time with TARA, I rode one last year with the Breakfast Series guys and it was really fun.

Weather looks pretty good- cooling down Sat vs. earlier in the week.

Is anyone riding over to the starting point on Hamilton Pool Rd from the Lakeline/Cedar Park side of Austin?

I'm a "maybe" at this point. If I can make it I'll hook up with the group at 281/Round Mountain.

SAB and I plan to be there.

Most definitely in for this one! First event with TARA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I am bummed but I can't make the ride this weekend. Hope everyone has fun and stays safe.

I will be at the Meet and Greet tomorrow, but I have to burn cedars in Dripping again this weekend...

A couple of examples

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xttqcd7T4UE"]Burning in Dripping 2018 - YouTube[/ame]

Felt bad on this one, a bit too close to some oaks when the wind kicked up :(

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cDceZ3DURM"]2018 burning in dripping - YouTube[/ame]

I'll be there on the Strom, and I'm dragging John and Julie from Big Bend along as well. He'll be on his Africa Twin, she'll be on my DRZ, since her KLR still isn't mended from Black Gap Rd.

Last edited:
Love the videos and pic in this thread!

Just realized this group is meeting right by my place. I am going to try to make it this weekend but if not, I'll be sure to come embarrass myself on the dirt in the near future.

I see that there have been plenty of bigger ADV bikes on these rides. How would you think this ride would be for my first on my big bike? It has 50/50 tires on it but I haven't ridden dirt in 20 something years.

I see that there have been plenty of bigger ADV bikes on these rides. How would you think this ride would be for my first on my big bike? It has 50/50 tires on it but I haven't ridden dirt in 20 something years.

You will be good

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 5.51.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 5.51.07 PM.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Just to make sure, the ride won't be canceled due to cool weather. correct?

The ride never gets canceled. However, there is no way to know how many riders, if any, will show up. The worse the weather forecast the fewer riders that attend. There is no rain in tomorrow’s forecast, just cool weather and wind - so it’s likely that there will be a few riders there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dont have a lot of cool weather gear so I'll get up in the morning and see if I can bundle up enough. Hopefully I have the fortitude to hop on the bike.

I'm there **** or high water. Its my last chance to wear my winter gear before it gets hot.

I think I'm out, I'mma go hit up the car show

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back