Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #61
klb1122

Re: Trippin’ Connies 10 – Craft Brew Cruise

Day 12 – 6/29/2018 – Salina, KS to Houston, TX – 700 Miles

Salina, KS to Houston, TX – 700 Miles – MAP LINK

As always, there’s only 1 goal for the final day, get home in one piece. Initially the only site we were going to see on the last day was the Original Carpenters Bluff Bridge on the OK/TX border. We scrapped that pretty quickly and just decided to head straight home. Looking back, I wish we would have got off the Interstate and completely avoided Dallas.

We were up super early and took off when there was a bit of light out, before the sun was up. Unfortunately the wind was still blowing hard in the morning, the only difference was the temperature, right off the bat, was a bit more bearable. We rode south on I-135 to I-35 out of Wichita and into Oklahoma. The first stop of the day was for gas in Tonkawa.

Dad was trying to figure out how to get home using his new GPS. He had somehow made the Comfort Inn & Suites back in Salina, KS his “home.”

The wind eased up mid-way through Oklahoma, but of course by that time the temperature had risen. The second stop of the day was for gas again in Marietta.

Leaving there was the worst stretch of the entire trip. We crossed into Texas, and I swear Dallas now starts about 10 miles south of the border. Construction, slow-moving traffic, fender benders, cell phones, heat, humidity… it was a nightmare, and we were only in the Carrollton area. Mom called and said she was looking at the traffic through town and recommended we take I-635 around to US75 south into town instead of staying on I-35. I’ll never know if it was actually better, it was still slow that entire way until we were able to get on I-45 leaving town. Between all the chaos, Dad and I getting separated several times and not able to communicate via the headsets, and the heat, we were both in bad moods. We stopped to re-group on the south side of town in Wilmer.

I told Dad that I had to make a mandatory stop at Buc-ee’s in Madisonville, to get some goodies for my girls. As we were approaching there, Mom called again and warned us of traffic just south of there. She came up with a route to get us from Buc-ee’s down to Huntsville in an effort to avoid the mess. After loading up at Buc-ee’s, which was an absolute zoo, we broke off the Interstate for our detour. I must say, it was a glorious 30 miles. It’s like the Interstate makes me hold my breath, and after a day of battle I could finally exhale. It was at least 10 miles before we even had to pass a car. With our batteries recharged we joined I-45 back on the south side of Huntsville and finished off the ride, splitting off, in traffic of course, where we had met 11 days prior in Spring. While Houston received heavy rains on almost a daily basis, we only had the little bit of rain leaving town on Day 1, we really lucked out in that aspect.

I made it home safely, and was greeted by my fan club. I told my wife with the reception I got, I may need to take more trips.

Here are my totals for the trip… 12 days and 5,320 miles.

It was a great ride overall, but the last day and a half left a sour taste in our mouths. For Dad, it was the most comfortable he’d ever been, thanks to the F6B. The only drawback of it is the front suspension on a bumpy road; it seems to translate directly to his hands. But with the heat, wind and traffic… it has us thinking we may just trailer smaller bikes somewhere next year. We shall see…

Thanks for following along.

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
klb1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:39 PM   #62
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Just wish you could have taken a few more pics
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:11 AM   #63
KiwiTex

That's a great welcome home!
Thanks for sharing the trip with those of us who can't right now.

When's your next one? lol
Old 09-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #64
julimike54

Thank you for posting y'alls ride, I've enjoyed the pics and the story!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #65
klb1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromXTc View Post
Just wish you could have taken a few more pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiTex View Post
That's a great welcome home!
Thanks for sharing the trip with those of us who can't right now.

When's your next one? lol
It was the BEST welcome home.

Next one... not until next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julimike54 View Post
Thank you for posting y'alls ride, I've enjoyed the pics and the story!
Thanks for checking it out!

Old 09-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #66
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Next destination...hint

Old 09-11-2018, 10:46 PM   #67
klb1122

Quote:
Next destination...hint

Old 09-11-2018, 11:10 PM   #68
pacman
Forum Supporter

Great report! Thanks for posting.

Pacman

Kawasaki C14
pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:25 AM   #69
Jeff S
Forum Supporter

Is there one amazing google map showing all 10 TC's tracks gloriously overlaid?

Kory could teach a class on the art of the ride report...
Old 09-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #70
klb1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Great report! Thanks for posting.
Thanks for following along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
Is there one amazing google map showing all 10 TC's tracks gloriously overlaid?

Kory could teach a class on the art of the ride report...
I wish I could say yes, but Google doesn't allow for as many modifications to a route as would be needed, I'm barely able to make it work for some of the individual days.

And thank you!

Old 09-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #71
jcyuhn

I really enjoy reading your annual trip reports. Thanks for taking the time to write them up. I expect it is quite a bit of work.

The most amazing thing to me is that you have a Zumo with the buttons intact. You just don’t see that anymore!
jcyuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #72
mlinkibikr

I'm hoping the future bullet train has freight cars we can ride our bikes on and just make the trip out of Houston go away. And don't get me started on riding through Dallas, Ft Worth not much better.

Thank you for the excellent report and I'm glad you and your Dad made it home safely and with some shared stories to tell.

Dave.
mlinkibikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #73
gixxerjasen

Great stuff as always. I love what I learn from RR's about places to visit. I learned of the Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari from a friends RR and we've stayed there half a dozen times now. It has become a predefined stop on our way out or back from family and motorcycle trips west. My wife loves the place with the restored neon lights and the amazing folks that run it. Make reservations, it books up early, and ask for a room with a garage. Yes, a garage! For breakfast, don't zip out of town too quickly. Breakfast at the Kix on 66 diner is a must. You will leave there with a very full and happy stomach.

Happy to say, I have a lot of new reviews in this RR on places to hit and those to avoid. Thanks again for sharing and love the photos.
gixxerjasen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #74
klb1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyuhn View Post
I really enjoy reading your annual trip reports. Thanks for taking the time to write them up. I expect it is quite a bit of work.

The most amazing thing to me is that you have a Zumo with the buttons intact. You just don’t see that anymore!
As you thought, it takes me a ton of time. Most of the time is spent on the pictures though.

The Zumo has been around for 60k + miles and still kicking... and at times, driving me crazy. It hasn't been updated for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinkibikr View Post
I'm hoping the future bullet train has freight cars we can ride our bikes on and just make the trip out of Houston go away. And don't get me started on riding through Dallas, Ft Worth not much better.

Thank you for the excellent report and I'm glad you and your Dad made it home safely and with some shared stories to tell.

Dave.
Thanks for reading. Yes, that would be an excellent way to get out of here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
Great stuff as always. I love what I learn from RR's about places to visit. I learned of the Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari from a friends RR and we've stayed there half a dozen times now. It has become a predefined stop on our way out or back from family and motorcycle trips west. My wife loves the place with the restored neon lights and the amazing folks that run it. Make reservations, it books up early, and ask for a room with a garage. Yes, a garage! For breakfast, don't zip out of town too quickly. Breakfast at the Kix on 66 diner is a must. You will leave there with a very full and happy stomach.

Happy to say, I have a lot of new reviews in this RR on places to hit and those to avoid. Thanks again for sharing and love the photos.
Thanks for checking it out. I'll definitely check out the Blue Swallow Motel if we stay in Tucumcari again. I see its basically right across the street from Motel Safari, but I didn't even notice it.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #75
gixxerjasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by klb1122 View Post
Thanks for checking it out. I'll definitely check out the Blue Swallow Motel if we stay in Tucumcari again. I see its basically right across the street from Motel Safari, but I didn't even notice it.
Even if you don't stay there, it's worth it to swing by after sundown for the neon display. Definitely feels like stepping back in time. The first time I stayed there I didn't realize all the other guests were at a car show. When they came back there was all this noise in the parking lot and I stepped through a time portal as I came outside because the neon was lit and the parking lot was jam packed with antique cars. It was pretty amazing. Definitely a good place to set up the tripod after dark.
gixxerjasen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #76
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
Even if you don't stay there, it's worth it to swing by after sundown for the neon display. Definitely feels like stepping back in time. The first time I stayed there I didn't realize all the other guests were at a car show. When they came back there was all this noise in the parking lot and I stepped through a time portal as I came outside because the neon was lit and the parking lot was jam packed with antique cars. It was pretty amazing. Definitely a good place to set up the tripod after dark.
Wow, that place has 100% refrigerated air too!
Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #77
tshelfer

Quote:
Wow, that place has 100% refrigerated air too!
Part of the charm of Tucumcari is that they've retained a lot of the 50's Route 66 kitsch. Back in the day, that "refrigerated air" sign was a big draw. I looked at a picture of the Blue Swallow on Google. Another cool throwback they have is those creaky old metal rocking chairs. All western motels had them - and so did my grandmother's back yard - so that you could sit outside in the evening and enjoy the cool western air.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated by a needy soul
'72 Yamaha RT3 enduro - sold
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:29 AM   #78
Liteitup
Forum Supporter

To continue the threadjack, from 2014. Highly recommend this hotel. The owners even took me to dinner in the Pontiac.

I got these lines in my face
Tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life
G. Clark
Liteitup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #79
lobo10s

I have always enjoyed your ride reports and those AMAZING pictures. I am envious that you and your father get to make these memories. Don't take it for granted!

We put 70K on an 08 C-14 before we got the Big Versys

When I lived in N Texas (Plano) the worst part of any part of our trips was getting in and out of Texas. We solved that by finally making the choice to trailer the bike to a location. This allowed us to enjoy the great riding, without having to battle the DFW / Texas grind. We never looked back or regretted that choice.

Now we actually solved the issue by moving to NW Arkansas. There is pretty good riding up here. haha

Keep up the great ride reports. Enjoy the trips with your dad and cherish your family. Life is so very good!

We have the best friends in the world.. Thank you all!

http://www.motoadrenalinetours.blogt
http://www.motoadrenalinetours.com
lobo10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #80
klb1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo10s View Post
I have always enjoyed your ride reports and those AMAZING pictures. I am envious that you and your father get to make these memories. Don't take it for granted!

We put 70K on an 08 C-14 before we got the Big Versys

When I lived in N Texas (Plano) the worst part of any part of our trips was getting in and out of Texas. We solved that by finally making the choice to trailer the bike to a location. This allowed us to enjoy the great riding, without having to battle the DFW / Texas grind. We never looked back or regretted that choice.

Now we actually solved the issue by moving to NW Arkansas. There is pretty good riding up here. haha

Keep up the great ride reports. Enjoy the trips with your dad and cherish your family. Life is so very good!
Thank you! There are so many memories I'll never forget from these trips. I'm definitely not taking it for granted.

I didn't realize y'all had moved to Arkansas, congrats on that!

A trailer is definitely in the plans for next year (as soon as dad got comfy on his F6B ) and I'm planning on a little dirt as well.