• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Front Brake advise needed.

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
So I am having a little issue I could use some advice on. I recently bought a 01 KLR650 from a forum member and have been working to get it dialed in. the last 2 days I was hearing a grinding noise on the front and I assumed a stuck caliper. A few light taps with a hammer and it went away for a bit so I decided to replace the brake pads yesterday when it came back. The right side pad was all the way to metal and the left pad had 3/16th of brake material left.
I took it apart and to replace the pads and I used a c-clamp to push the piston back into the caliper. I placed the new pads in and reassembled on the bike.
When I went to grab the front brake lever it has no resistance at all. The caliper does however bend the disc over as you pull on it.
I’m not sure if the caliper is not sliding to center as it actuates or something else is wrong. I am also not sure about the brake handle have not resistance.
I have not bled the system but since I did not open it up I don't know what would have happened to the brake fluid.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
:zen::giveup::giveup::giveup:

If one side wore faster than the other, the pins that allow the caliper to float are sticking and possibly completely stuck. Another possibility is the rectangular section O-ring on the brake piston has lost it's resilience. The stiction/resiliency of the O-ring is what pulls the piston ever so slightly back from the disk when the brake is released. If the O-ring is old, it quits doing its job. If you removed the caliper from the bike when you replaced the pads, you introduced air into the system. In any case, there is air in your system.

Sounds like it's time show that KLR some LOVE. Take the caliper off and clean stuff up. Brakes are one of those handier things to have. Not related to your current issue but the stock lines are probably well past their prime. Stainless makes a noticeable difference. FWIW.. anytime you press in the piston - for goodness sake - work the lever until you get brakes before saddling up. Sounds like you found the noise maker but just for kicks, check the front wheel for play in the bearings.

So most of the good upgrades were done to this bike. Ebc brake rotor and SS brake lines.
I just finished cleaning it up and regreaseing the slide. I have been trying to bleed the brakes with a hose and syringe. I got a big bubble of air at first and then clean brake fluid. When I went back to the brake handle, nothing had changed. So I went back to bleeding and more air. Repeated the same thing several more times till the kids had to go to bed. Not sure what's the next step?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

:tab If you are not seeing fluid leaking out somewhere, then you have air in the system or perhaps the master cylinder piston is leaking by its seals. There's not much else that can cause that symptom. Even if you had old weak rubber hoses that expanded when you pulled on the lever, you would still feel some resistance.

Tape/tie the handle down for several hours and the ir should bleed to the reservoir by it self. It does not always work, but does most of the time.

If I had to guess, I think that you may need to clean the slider pins. There is also grease specifically for these pins. After you compressed the caliper pistons, there is always a little pumping on the brake handle to move the pistons back into position. Until they are fully engaged on both sides, there will be no resistance at the lever. It is also not unusual for one side of the caliper to engage the rotor first, but if it is actually torquing the rotor, it would again suggest that the slider pins are sticking and need to be cleaned or replaced.

Last edited:
The pins jfink is talking about are the most likely cause of the uneven wear on your pads.

Can you get it to McKinney (intersection of Custer and 380)? I will be happy to help you disassemble the caliper, clean the pins, bleed the system and get it all sorted. Plan on it taking 3 hours and we can do it any evening this week or the weekend.

Gary

Last edited:
No interest? whatever you do, best of luck getting it fixed, still very happy to help you if you want.

Gary

Hey Gary, I appreciate your offer. Sorry I did not get back soon. Been dealing with some health issues. Let me see if I can get it safe enough to ride or borrow a trailer.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Back