• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ghost's Beat The Heat Gathering, Camp out, Clinic May 2-4

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Hancock
About 20 hearty souls braved the near perfect weather and dined on the near perfect wild piglet sausage. I expect the gathering will enlarge over the day. Unfortunately my head filled with fuzz and I am moving s l o w.

Well...........what did I miss?

Pictures please!!!

I really missed not being with all y'all . I had to go down to the "Twisted Sisters" again. Didn't get enough of her last weekend!;-)

Last edited:
It was just BRUTAL....40 at night, 80 daytime. The food was....you KNOW...lots of it and had too much flavor...to good to just eat for energy and life sustenance..I don't drink, but I thought someone said the beer was too cold, the 151 Margarita..was just wrong. the stories too graphic the lies were tooooooo big. The people were way to friendly and helpful.

AND to make it worse...my class was full of folks that REALLY wanted to be there and had a good time. Seee???? you didn't miss anything. We, on the other hand missed you

I had a great time and thank all the class for paying attention, and making my day PERFECT.

It was just BRUTAL....40 at night, 80 daytime. The food was....you KNOW...lots of it and had too much flavor...to good to just eat for energy and life sustenance..I don't drink, but I thought someone said the beer was too cold, the 151 Margarita..was just wrong. the stories too graphic the lies were tooooooo big. The people were way to friendly and helpful.

AND to make it worse...my class was full of folks that REALLY wanted to be there and had a good time. Seee???? you didn't miss anything. We, on the other hand missed you

I had a great time and thank all the class for paying attention, and making my day PERFECT.

Thanks again for the instructions. Your class was extremely helpful. So worth it! I did things on a motorcycle that I've never done before...like rolling through a slow turn with the handlebars pinned...using counter weight and feathering the clutch to maintain control. Oh, and the K turn on a hill! And so much more!!!

Thanks for allowing me the use of your KTM during the course. Amazing motorcycle!

Safe travels,
TTR ( Darrin )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks again for the instructions. Your class was extremely helpful. So worth it! I did things on a motorcycle that I've never done before...like rolling through a slow turn with the handlebars pinned...using counter weight and feathering the clutch to maintain control. Oh, and the K turn on a hill! And so much more!!!

Thanks for allowing me the use of your KTM during the course. Amazing motorcycle!

Safe travels,
TTR ( Darrin )

:clap:

I had a good time camping and riding this weekend. Thanks to Ghost for opening up his property for folks to ride and camp. The food was great and the weather even better. He also provided an excellent place for Brad’s class.

I just want to say how much I enjoyed Brad’s class. I took it with my son that is 12 and a friend (JohnnyL) who is just starting to ride. There was eight total in the class at all skill levels. I thought Brad did a good job of keeping everyone engaged. The skill level change in my son was amazing from the beginning of the day to the end. My friend that took the class said that was the best money he spent in a long time. I got to practice skills I already knew with the benefit of a skilled person watching me and giving me feedback while doing the drills. If you are new or experienced and want to learn or brush up on skills Brad is good as gold.

Okay. Here are all my pictures (or will be, need to pull a few off the phone still) http://woodbutcher.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Beat-the-Heat-2014/38993758_R9444w

Big Don showing how to go over a rock:

IMG_7113-L.jpg

Gary was out to show he was up to the challenge:

IMG_7115-L.jpg

K-Turns.

IMG_7151-L.jpg

Last edited:
Brad mentioned the food, but the beer was good too. Greg (screen name?) brought an assortment of this:

slide1.jpg

Some of the side benefits of these get togethers are how people share. They share knowledge (riding, shooting, life in general), food, food cooking skills, and hobbies and some of the products from there work. We've had home brewers bring some very nice beer. The sausage on Friday was wild hog Dody shot the previous weekend. The cowboy wok that was used at every meal was a replica of the one Brad brought a couple of years ago to cook breakfast. People loan bikes for test rides at the drop of a hat (except for one guy with a new water cooled GSA. :rofl: A smart guy, I might add ). The locals usually lead rides in the area to show people around (odd weekend this time, most riding was on the ranch). Brad has a few of us picking up cones and occasionally bikes. Not that he needed it, but we were there and were willing to help out.

Anyway, many thanks to people who come and help and share. Every time Dody does this it is a slightly different mixture of people and the dynamic changes each time. But we always end up around a fire talking and telling stories. Oh, and burn something that isn't nailed down. :clap:

Brad mentioned the food, but the beer was good too. Greg (screen name?) brought an assortment of this:

slide1.jpg

Some of the side benefits of these get togethers are how people share. They share knowledge (riding, shooting, life in general), food, food cooking skills, and hobbies and some of the products from there work. We've had home brewers bring some very nice beer. The sausage on Friday was wild hog Dody shot the previous weekend. The cowboy wok that was used at every meal was a replica of the one Brad brought a couple of years ago to cook breakfast. People loan bikes for test rides at the drop of a hat (except for one guy with a new water cooled GSA. :rofl: A smart guy, I might add ). The locals usually lead rides in the area to show people around (odd weekend this time, most riding was on the ranch). Brad has a few of us picking up cones and occasionally bikes. Not that he needed it, but we were there and were willing to help out.

Anyway, many thanks to people who come and help and share. Every time Dody does this it is a slightly different mixture of people and the dynamic changes each time. But we always end up around a fire talking and telling stories. Oh, and burn something that isn't nailed down. :clap:
Thanks Rusty. I know how hard it can be to get a place to ride or get away to and that is why I open my place. Yes I was surprised how much riding stayed on the place this time. I love to cook and good commaderie, events like these give the opportunity for this. Hard to beat a good gathering around the campfire:chug:

Thanks to all that came and enjoyed the weekend. I have been asked to do one around LAbor day but not sure about that yet. Brad and I discussed doing another class in September or early October before Roll The Bones Rally.:thumb:

Thanks for opening up your place for riding and camping. Had a great time. Brian and I did get out and ride around off your place and found some nice gravel roads. Did do a few laps on your property (quite rocky), and a few at a good pace will wear you out if your not up to it (Like Me). Looking forward to the next one.

Heck...It was great time. Enjoy the tour of the place on the side-by-side. Hill climbing rig.
It goes to show you how Great Texas and Motorcyclist can be. Enjoy
Respectfully and Thank you'all for the fun and food.
Brian

Safe travels,
TTR ( Darrin )

So you're right behind me next time our, umm, "excursions" require some log hopping?

Brad's class was great. Took it the week before. Wish I could have made this campout.

So you're right behind me next time our, umm, "excursions" require some log hopping?

Brad's class was great. Took it the week before. Wish I could have made this campout.

Thomas! Good to hear from you! I believe practice is the only way to develop these newly acquired skills...so yep! I'm there.

TTR

Rusty,
Thanks for the all the pics it was great to let Colton see himself and others and evaluate there riding position. It is also great to have the day captured as I never took one photo all weekend.

Big thanks to Dody, Brad, and everyone else. It was a real good time and I enjoyed meeting everyone!

Big thanks to Dody, Brad, and everyone else. It was a real good time and I enjoyed meeting everyone!

That is a well set up XR BTW:chug: Talked to Ginder and I think you are right. His accident on my old bike has him thinking a KLR or DRZ.

That is a well set up XR BTW:chug: Talked to Ginder and I think you are right. His accident on my old bike has him thinking a KLR or DRZ.

Thank you sir. It is pretty well set up for what I want to do with it but it is a little bit beat up too haha. What was I right about? I may have been drinking when we were talking about whatever that was haha!

Thank you sir. It is pretty well set up for what I want to do with it but it is a little bit beat up too haha. What was I right about? I may have been drinking when we were talking about whatever that was haha!

He was talking to me about Grinder.

That makes more sense... I sure don't remember that conversation.

Back