• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need a good Mechanic in East Texas

snb290

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
I have just recently purchased a 96 Goldwing trike. It has 75K miles. To my knowledge the timing belts have never been changed.
I am not feeling it for the Honda dealer in the nearest town. (Palestine) But still want to have someone that can do the job correctly, for a reasonable price. I'm open for tried and proven suggestions.

Thanks,
Steven

Before you have an interdependent (or dealer) touch the bike, please ask them to confirm, as in call dealer, and have them call the regional warehouse parts rep ensuring that EVERY single part that will be touched, loosened, removed or replaced is available and on hand ready to ship.

The older Gold wings are having more and more parts no longer available.

Last edited:
there is a shop(or was, haven't been thru there lately) in Dibol. The guy only works on Goldwings.

The Cycle Shop at 3415 East Demman (US 69 South) in Lufkin is a cycle repair/salvage shop that, among other things, assembles GL1500 Trikes. 936-637-7555.

If I remember right the 1500 cam belts were 100,000 life span , simple job to replace and I have a couple new tensioner I didn't use if you want a good deal on some . Age is the critical factor if any cracks are visiable avoid running the motor till replaced . No cracks I'd still replace them , they are 20 years old .

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll be checking them out next week.

My response to your mechanic request.

I realized my post came off as ....well not helpful or polite. :giveup:

My word of caution on who you choose to let work on the trike, and ensuring parts are available was not a bidding for me or another related shop to take on the job.
I was only relating a Goldwing job I was familiar with that went from basic to near disaster because of unattainable parts.

Best of luck with your repairs

Erik

There is a guy on the GL1800 forum that knows the in and out of the Goldwing, he goes by the name as Fred H do a search and you will find him. His name is Fred Harmon and lives in Stevenville, very reputable.

Back