• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride Hard, Take Unnecessary Chances, Safety Third - MexTrek 2009

It just keeps getting better. What a HOOT!
Tricepilot Bob, what happened to the picture you were going to send of me, the little girl and her family in San Jose de la Joya? I'm waiting Amigo.
Thanks,
Martin

Attachments

• PA160149.jpg
    PA160149.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 305
  • PA160150.jpg
    PA160150.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
It's not an Adventure if everything goes as planned, right Milton?

Attachments

• PA160147.jpg
    PA160147.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 344
Uuhhooo. Gosh. What happened? Uhhh. Where's the road?
I think it was that Viking guy, Glen H who said, "The adventure starts when things stop going as planned."

Pedro Norte Day 5: Saturday / Sunday

It's always a sad day, the last day of vacation. Work and family and responsibility start to rattle around in your brain, going from an occasional rain drop to a pitter patter to a full on rain storm by the time you get home. That kind of describes the ride out of the mountains.

Up at the usual after breakfast, after showers, after packing is done by most others, Tom prods me with some loud clanking to get me moving. Packed and ready in 20 minutes, bags in Wayland's truck, street gear on, clouds thick overhead. Said my goodbye to our ever resourceful hotel clerk, tipped 20 pesos under each pillow for the cleaning crew, gave the night manager a signed Houston Dynamo soccer ball, and went to find a group to ride back with.

The sky looked like rain so we all donned warm gear and rain proofing to some degree. Pink Lloyd had a shirt that made me laugh, having not shaved in almost a week

Mextrek2009250.jpg

Mextrek2009251.jpg

And some folks were having their bikes and boot polished up by the town handyman just prior to departure.

Mextrek2009252.jpg

He didn't mind the camera

Mextrek2009254.jpg

A big group headed off to the PEMEX as Ed and I packed up, checked email, warmed the bikes. When we arrived at the PEMEX everyone was gone. And it was starting to rain. Down the canyon to Linares we had a nice, but chilly ride.

Mextrek2009257.jpg

Mextrek2009258.jpg

Mextrek2009259.jpg

Mextrek2009269.jpg

headed into Linares the sky opened. We hid under a grocery store walkway for the worst of it and then suited up for the superslab back to Reynosa. We had a nice big lunch at a great restaurant on the square in China of super soft fajita meat. Saw no other bikes until we hit the border and regrouped.

Mextrek2009272.jpg

From there it was straight to Motel 6, arriving just at sunset...good thing cause my headlight was still not functioning. The rest of the trip is the part we all hate. But driving up through Texas everything looked clean, maintained, proportional, well groomed, and downright, well, boring.

Next year for sure all my new friends. I can't imagine missing it. I'll have a couple of more friends in tow and a few more days cleared on the calendar to spread out the fun.

Again, thanks to all who helped, formally and informally, make this ride happen. Scott Friday, thanks for the wonderful website that lets us all connect. Richard, Milton, Bob and all the others who mapped trails and named names and waypointed trails to make us all secure in our ability to get home to Galeana each night. And thanks to everyone who trailered a friend, bought a beer, picked up after a crash, told a good story, or laughed a good laugh. See ya next year amigos.

Milton, The road is between Rayones and Santa Rosa. About 2 miles south of San Rosa, I believe. I am laying on the side of the road in one picture, while Pancho rides for help. He finds a young man with a tractor willing to come the 2 miles back to help me out of a jam. Then he offers to pull me to his storage building, in San Rosa, where he lets me leave my moto until I can get transport out. Great Guy!
I spun out in a turn, did a 180, the back of the bike dropped off the edge of the road and the bike and I went to the bottom backwards. When it stopped moving backwards, I was still in the saddle and it was still running. Zero injuries to me, not so good for my GS. It was a heck of a ride!
Martin

Last edited:
Milton, The road is between Rayones and Santa Rosa. About 2 miles south of San Rosa, I believe. I am laying on the side of the road in one picture, while Pancho rides for help. He finds a young man with a tractor willing to come the 2 miles back to help me out of a jam. Then he offers to pull me to his storage building, in San Rosa, where he lets me leave my moto until I can get transport out. Great Guy!
I spun out in a turn, did a 180, the back of the bike dropped off the edge of the road and the bike and I went to the bottom backwards. When it stopped moving backwards, I was still in the saddle and it was still running. Zero injuries to me, not so good for my GS. It was a heck of a ride!
Martin

When I saw the picture I thought it was an expensive bike to be riding off a cliff. Now I see it was a new fangled way to "back it in" :eek2:

All humor aside, glad you are okay.

Tues - Austin to McAllen

Not much to tell - Stuntman Jeff and I trailered our bikes from Austin to McAllen on Tuesday evening.
684624468_RCYGK-L.jpg

Wed - McAllen to Galeana

Today consisted of half a day of boring slab and half a day of what we came to do - great dual sport riding.

It's about 100 miles from McAllen to the eastern edge of the mountains. Aside from a few photos during our breaks, nothing of consequence happened on the ride to the edge of the mountains.

Jerry and Terry
684601388_ZAPoc-L.jpg

Pete and Ed
684602280_E7HyX-L.jpg

A convenient convenient store on the ride in.
684603361_rNbU6-L.jpg

Once we reached the mountains, the riding got a LOT more interesting. I can't say enough about the paved road to Rayones. What a wonderful twisty piece of heaven!

684626277_D3dx7-L.jpg

All the riders gave this road "thumbs up".

Jeff C.
684630301_y2dDt-L.jpg

Primo
684631202_vtTBH-L.jpg

Stuntman Jeff gave his Husky TE610 its first real workout. He had just passed the 600 mile break-in period before we left for this ride.
684629042_N5cgP-L.jpg

Terry
684628117_H92Jn-L.jpg

Pete and his DRZ400 Super Moto with the funky "rear" front tire.
684631949_7h3Cn-L.jpg

Last year there was a water fall here. This year, only moss. Despite the recent rains, water levels were down all around the area.
684634371_L63f9-L.jpg

Once we reached Rayones, the group split up. Some took a straight shot to Galeana via a dirt road, some backtracked and took the paved route, and a few of us took the long, "over the mountains", route so we could get in several more hours of dirt riding.

Last edited:
Over the Mountain

Instead of going south from Rayones, my group decided to take the longer dirt route to the west, up and over the mountain. This route is a class 2, but it is amazingly spectacular and scenic. Highly recommended!

684607832_QRvvq-L.jpg

684651553_9Z3yS-L.jpg

One at a time. When two vehicles meet, one backs up until they find a spot just wide enough for the two vehicles to pass each other without one plunging off the mountain. We got to put this rule into operation when we encountered this truck on the mountain.
684647073_EF9xs-L.jpg

Now it's our turn
684650566_bRoaq-L.jpg

The late afternoon sun made these moss covered trees glow
684672642_9suYj-L.jpg

Once we made it over the mountain pass, we came upon this high mountain meadow. It was so beautiful and unexpected it was like something out of a movie. Cattle and horses grazed while the prairie dogs warily watched us. We were unable to resist the temptation and had to go play in the grass.
684673665_KyVbW-L.jpg

684675210_Ej9i6-L.jpg

A rare fence - I figure it was here to keep the cattle and horses out of the corn field. This road led us into the village of Cienaga del Toro.
684663314_tmvNU-L.jpg

Cienega del Toro
684667337_WRLW4-L.jpg

Once through Cienega del Toro our route turned south. Here's the view looking back towards Cienega del Toro.
684665501_cFd6a-L.jpg

And here's a closer look at that dirt road.
684671320_BR6Bx-L.jpg

A few hours later, after riding half of the dual sport double dragon roads, we arrived to a packed house in Galeana.

Last edited:
I grabbed some candid shots of various riders hanging out on the plaza in Galeana.

Tom
684754784_YbYgR-L.jpg

Mark
684756380_d5qev-L.jpg

Dave
684759535_4rR4W-L.jpg

Nadeem
684753711_L5S3X-L.jpg

Jerry enjoying some Mexican ice cream. Yes, it's different than the stuff we get in the USA.
684750192_AtK82-L.jpg

Hugo
684751630_CVysH-L.jpg

Wayland
684748144_AJH8N-L.jpg

Scott
684748615_YsyQc-L.jpg

Jerry used my camera to grab this shot of me and Stuntman Jeff
684750944_qLB4Y-L.jpg

The libations were soon flowing. Salud!
684761112_V35kv-L.jpg

Don
684790279_aThin-L.jpg

Jeff
684790956_DhiXc-L.jpg

Hotel Jardin
684791773_Lnjo7-L.jpg

I've got to say that the Galeana plaza is just a very, very cool place for a bunch of dual sport riders to hang out in. If you haven't been there yet, I highly recommend grabbing some buddies and getting there as soon as you can. I can't really explain it, something about the convergence of the universe or some similar thing. Just go there and you'll see what I mean. Plus, it's the perfect location for basing out of while exploring the Sierra Leon region.

After a steak at La Casona del General restaurant and two or five beers, I headed off to bed, happy to be back in Galeana again.

Man, it sure looks like I missed another great year. Waiting patiently for the rest of the story........

I was wondering about Don, the fellow who crashed. Was he the fellow in Richards last post? I didn't get a chance to meet him but I remember him from last year. Heal quick Don, good thoughts coming your way. Maybe I'll see you in Galeana next year.

Thanks, Pete.

By the way - I've got a picture of you from Friday that I think is very cool. I will definitely include it in that episode of the ride report.

Richard, excellent. :clap: Love your shots. Don is wearing the jersey he had to have cut off, I wish he was wearing some armor under it. He said he will from now on. :thumb::flip:

very good pictures richard. thanks for all your help. I think we all owe you a brew, maybe 2.

dave

I wasn't feeling very good and didn't keep my end of the bargain about taking plenty pics. But here's a nice panorama on the way to Galeana:
684889035_fW2Sw-L.jpg

You can almost make a white vehicle on the far mountain!

It really was a GREAT trip. Thanks to everyone who helped put it together and to everyone for the good times.

So there were a few cases of Montezuma's revenge? I'd hate to get all the way down there and them miss the riding because of that! :doh: :uhoh:

Looking over these pictures and reading the reports is making me sick... It looks like a spectacular place. I had hoped to scope out some of the local real real estate around Galeana, you know... maybe as a place to "retire" and host adventure rides :trust:

Thursday - riding the General Zaragoza Route

I had originally planned on riding with Stuntman Jeff on my favorite dirt road ever on the Potrero Redondo route, but a change of plans cropped up. So, instead, I headed south to ride the General Zaragoza route. I had not ridden all of the Zaragoza route yet. I had been on part of it last year while exploring a new route and wanted to complete it. Today was the day.

Milton, Juan, Bob, and I suited up after a fine breakfast buffet and pointed our bikes south.

The morning was crisp and cool, the sun was shining, and a mist hung over the mountains. A great day for a dual sport ride.

Mountains in the Mist
684797164_nqAcz-L.jpg

During a short break, another group of riders showed up, headed toward the Milpillas route and its 30 river crossings.
684796075_An8e9-L.jpg

The ride south on pavement was uneventful except for Juan hitting a cow. The story goes like this. As we passed by a group of cows on the side of the road, one of them spooked. It ran down the street, parallel to our direction of travel. Just as Juan drew abreast of the cow it decided to veer into the center of the road, consequently bumping into his bike. He gave the cow a kick which caused it to veer back toward the edge of the road. Juan was able to maintain control of his bike. No harm, no foul. None of us got any pictures, so you'll have to decide whether to believe the story or not.

On with the countdown.

Our route took us through the towns of Aramberri and General Zaragoza. Milton needed fuel so we stopped at the gas store.
684799926_KkJ23-L.jpg

There are several dirt roads leaving town. Following the "el salto" signs will get you on the correct one. El Salto is a large waterfall in the area.
684887444_Sh7kS-L.jpg

The General Zaragoza route is a class 3, not a class 2 as the ride guide indicates (I'll make the correction in the next edition). In any case, it is a fantastic route!!! Highly recommended if you like class 3 riding. It goes over 2 mountain passes, includes lots and lots of steep climbs, and generally is a real hoot. It's very rocky in areas so I would not suggest riding it on one of the big adventure bikes, but on a KLR or similar type bike it is loads of fun.

Milton flexing
684903401_RTipM-L.jpg

Riding in the trees
684890141_8Fq4Q-L.jpg

Around noon we crossed over the first mountain pass and, then, a short time later, reach the small pueblo of La Encantada. Several older gentlemen were hanging out near the road so we stopped to say hello.

Meeting the locals
684897130_VHrRt-L.jpg

Hanging out on a Thursday afternoon
684895422_D7Vbw-L.jpg

At first the locals were a bit reserved but soon warmed up to us. We passed out candy to the kids and then to everyone else. About 10 minutes after we got there, another group of riders showed up from the opposite direction of travel. They had started earlier than us and were riding the same route counterclockwise.
684899217_9t9tb-L.jpg

We visited with the locals a bit more, traded route information with the other group of riders, and then motored off.

The riding was just fantastic. Here's some random shots along the way.
684913679_7ogGB-L.jpg

684911539_Q3DDT-L.jpg

684908654_F9ZJW-L.jpg

Milton and Juan
684928359_syFaH-L.jpg

"I want you to ride the General Zaragoza route." - tricepilot
684932043_HNeQg-L.jpg

village Joya de San Diego panorama
685099613_KyDE8-L.jpg

684923773_XeYfQ-L.jpg

Looking back on the way we had come. We had ridden that road over the mountain and across the valley and were now headed up over the 2nd mountain pass.
684968517_6UEFt-L.jpg

This route includes lots of climbing and many, many switchbacks.
684986815_HNNH4-L.jpg

Finally, late in the afternoon and tired and hungry, we reached pavement again, just a few tenths of a mile south of the La Ascencion. A short break at an Abarrotes (Mexican grocery store, sort of like a convenience store) for a bit of food and drink was just what we needed to get us back to Galeana.
684994464_6Jcrt-L.jpg

Speaking of food and drink, it is normal to skip lunch during MexTrek. There are generally few restaurants on any of the routes. In the small villages you can generally find a tienda (store) or abarrotes where you can buy a soda, water, etc and some snacks but most villages don't have a sit-down restaurant. Most riders bring snacks (jerky, trail mix, power bars, etc) to eat during the ride, but even so, you still tend to get pretty hungry by suppertime.

Once back in Galeana we got cleaned up and headed over to La Casona del General for a hot meal, cold beer, and some story telling.

Swapping stories while waiting on the food.
685011603_8gRGs-L.jpg

Have a coke and a smile, we're dual sport riding in Mexico :-P
685012135_mGybv-L.jpg

685010739_NC6Jk-L.jpg

After dinner, it was back to the plaza for a little drinking and more stories.

Delores
685013275_oXDwQ-L.jpg

John fell down today and busted his KLR. He carried his busted instrument panel back to Galeana in his trunk.
685014761_rvxEt-L.jpg

As they say, that was that. Along about 10:30p.m. I wandered off to bed. It had been an excellent day of riding but I was tired and sleepy. Tomorrow I was venturing off into the unknown and needed my beauty rest.

Last edited:
I'm gonna jump in here with my photos of the same route.
Thanks to the Thread Masters for (finally) allowing edits. I'm gonna reserve my space here with Richard documenting Thursday's ride.

682451184_yZ4qv-L.jpg

Gentlemen at the plaza of La Encontada, up the mountain from Zaragoza.

682451286_pLdSY-L.jpg

TricePilot in La Encontada. The mountain peak in the background is called El Viejo (like me) and it stands guard overlooking Zaragoza, many rocky switchbacks away.

687482463_dUcPa-L.jpg

Juan from Spain & Mexico, a current resident of Austin, Texas, chatting it up with the gentlemen of La Encontada

682451453_fZUgu-L.jpg

By remarkable coincidence, while chatting with the gentlemen of La Encontada, Roberto and his group for the day pulled up coming from the opposite direction.

682451615_DusEn-L.jpg

Roberto & Stingray Scott

682452060_FXkTK-L.jpg

Approaching La Siberia, a horse raising town.
I had fun reminding the boys that I first did this section 10 years ago, solo on my 1985 Harley Low Rider. A stunt even I have a hard time believing. Talk about unnecessary chances.
I didn't even have a patch kit. Never considered it.
Uhhh Patches? We don't need no stinkin' patches! :rider:
Ah but I was so much older then.....

682452202_c442X-L.jpg

Approaching La Siberia

682452411_teAAn-L.jpg

This is what I call the edge of the world.
Here, near the crossroads of Puerto El Pino, the road descends to the desert floor. Matehuala and the mountains of Catorce lie out there in the haze.

PinkFloyd led a group down this way last year, it leads to San Antonio Peña Nevada and La Bolsa, with a side road to Miquihuana. This area will provide challenging and interesting riding experiences for years to come.

682452535_P3ruU-L.jpg

That's Piña Nevada peak in the background, one of the highest peaks in the region, a landmark from Hwy 57 and Matehuala. Its on a par with El Potosi, which is higher.
I went that way on my Harley 10 years ago, looped thru Miquihuana and back to Santa Engracia.
The road's been improved since then.
Now there are concrete sections. :trust:

Today, our group took a right back up at the crossroads for the route described in the ride guide.
Unknown territory for me. I think Richard was a little surprised when I admitted I only knew the next section by maps. I'd never actually been there before.

687864246_ZBuVQ-L.jpg

687859030_tZ9wd-L.jpg

I think these were taken near Joya de San Diego.

682445962_dtcxZ-L.jpg

Between La Cieneguita and San Francisco. A rough section of the route.

687849047_tfMVS-L.jpg

682446127_wTBFD-L.jpg

The last shot of the day for me. The same El Viejo standing over Zaragoza, now two ranges away.

Here are just a few of the memorable moments I had while riding the Nuevo Leon Range.

We were extremely lucky this year to be traveling via truck. All of our extra gear, tools, and two almost trusty steeds came along, but you do have to watch out for the stingray he is mighty mean in the desert.

PA130273.png

One of the best things about riding in Mexico is all the great food. Of course the hardest thing in Mexico is trying to figure out where that good food is. Roberto (on right) was extremely helpful in separating the tourist traps from the amazing latin cuisine, on multiple occasions the locals warmed up to us and pointed out the best place in town.

PA140280.png

On a few chance encounters the roads were blocked by cows, the only bad memory this brought back is the big black bull tied to the bottom of mount potosi.

PA140286.png

Milton deserves extra credit all around on this trip including the award for most original trail and most adventurous smile.

PA140300.png

I'm no genius when it comes to navigation, I can usually get by but to me its something that you learn from those with years of experience, no complaints these guys know alot about direction.

PA150326.png

PA150315.png

Milton may have to clarify the name of these. But I guess the TP is still a good modern form of camping.

PA140306.png

Waterfalls are cool too in the middle of the day.

PA150335.png

PA150336.png

Now on to the Action:

Mexico Day 1 in HD
http://www.vholdr.com/node/48793

Mexico Day 2 in HD
http://www.vholdr.com/node/48972

Mexico Day 3 in HD (Watch till the end :eek2:)
http://www.vholdr.com/node/49057

Street
PA150362.png

Now that is a Goat Trail
PA160384.png

Got Trail?
PA160387.png

Turn around time (one by one)
PA160392.png

And of course don't forget Hugo mistakenly brought a spare 17 inch tube to Juans F650's rescue

PA160405.png

This was absolutely a blast this year. I appreciate everything Richard has done for the sport. I'm also glad to see so many new faces on this trip, hopefully there will be more adventure to come.

Great pics Jarrett, wish I could have been there. It would have been great to ride with you, Scott, and Roberto again. Looks like some fun routes.

Kenny

Kenny,
Good to hear from you, you would have enjoyed the riding, well except maybe for the goat trail, turning the bikes around was an adventure all its own :giveup:.

Back