TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Upcoming Ride/Trips

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #81
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/24/18 - Center Point + 2 day ride option-TAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourdhead View Post
So, at what point will a weather decision get made? I don't know these roads, how muddy do they get?
Don't worry we will wash it off in the kricks.

Yes, smartass here
For Sale: Dark Blue 8'Bed E.Cab 2000 Silverado
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #82
sanderjavant

Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/24/18 - Center Point + 2 day ride option-TAR

Rain date information will be posted on the Thursday before the ride if necessary.

Right now the weather looks good, we all know Texas weather though.

Sat FEB 24 Partly Cloudy
70°46° 20%
Mostly cloudy skies early will become partly cloudy later in the day. High around 70F.

Sun FEB 25 Partly Cloudy
72°48° 0%

I remember riding to Junction for the Texas Adventure Ride in the rain one Friday afternoon, all on pavement. While I was checking in the motel the rain stopped and we went out for a ride 30 minutes later on mostly caliche and the conditions were great. Only having ridden a little of the route when damp I can't vouch for all of it. But as always if something looks bad we can always route around it.

I always hope for some moisture the week before a ride, keeps the dust down and traction up.

CIMG0346 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

When we turned around.

CIMG0349 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

When we plowed through.

CIMG0453 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

2018 Adventure Rider Breakfast Series & Ride Calendar HERE

Last edited by sanderjavant; 02-14-2018 at 09:35 PM.
sanderjavant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #83
William Wolfen

Looks good to me. I love water crossings. Here's hoping I'm not stuck in WV working!
Old 02-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #84
Gourdhead

So, we are now under a week, and weather looks good-ish. Me and Elio are splitting a campsite in Kerrville on Friday night, anybody else planning on being there? Elio should be there around 4, I won't get there till 10.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Gourdhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #85
Texas Mud Taco
TWT Advertiser

Yes, I'm planning on rolling in on Friday. Don't forget - Gina offered to bring us all dinner!

I refuse to list the bikes I own

GnarTek.com

Last edited by Texas Mud Taco; 02-19-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Texas Mud Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #86
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Uh...hold on now just a minute I don’t recall...

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #87
Ropeburn

I think I can make this happen. If so, I'll head to kerrville-schreiner park on Friday, probably be there around 6pm.
Ropeburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #88
jsoucie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslick View Post
If you have a klr your not a rookie your a champ. Especially if you did the milk crate mod like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was thinking about riding out from SA on the klr...since there’s no stop for lunch, I was going to throw a sandwich in the milk crate and call it a day.

Riding shinko 705’s (80/20) at the moment, but assuming I can make do.

Been out of town for 8 months so trying to get the gal rideable. Count me as a “maybe” for a few days.

Garage
‘05 KLR650

RIP
‘99 VF1000R
‘01 SV650
jsoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #89
grimsweeper
Forum Supporter

Mud Taco: Dutch484's klr has a clutch cover gasket leaking, new gasket should be her tomorrow-any knowledge of this procedure?
jsoucie: Last year we had lunch in London,(London grocery and grill) still made it to Menard fairly early.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #90
dannyboy

How many people are eating breakfast at Los Dos Amigos Saturday morning?

Jose at the restaurant asked so he could set up some tables.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #91
Texas Mud Taco
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimsweeper View Post
Mud Taco: Dutch484's klr has a clutch cover gasket leaking, new gasket should be her tomorrow-any knowledge of this procedure?
Yes: replace KLR with DR.

Just kidding. Gonna PM him right now.

GnarTek.com
Old 02-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #92
hambone334

Me and Mississippi Texan will be there

hambone334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #93
Texas Mud Taco
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoucie View Post

Riding shinko 705’s (80/20) at the moment, but assuming I can make do.

Have you ridden a 705 on dirt/gravel? A lot of guys (myself included) have sworn them off, way too squirmy. Again, this is not just my sentiment. Not trying to freak you out- but if you have front knobbie, I would throw that on. I just switch the front only on one of my bikes to a TKC80 and it made a word of difference, the back is still a 705. In fact, I like it in the rear (whoa there!) cuz it slides around a bit in corners.

If you are camping in Kville friday, and have a knobbie front, bring it and we can change it if you like.

GnarTek.com
Old 02-20-2018, 09:06 PM   #94
William Wolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mud Taco View Post
Have you ridden a 705 on dirt/gravel? A lot of guys (myself included) have sworn them off, way too squirmy. Again, this is not just my sentiment. Not trying to freak you out- but if you have front knobbie, I would throw that on. I just switch the front only on one of my bikes to a TKC80 and it made a word of difference, the back is still a 705. In fact, I like it in the rear (whoa there!) cuz it slides around a bit in corners.

If you are camping in Kville friday, and have a knobbie front, bring it and we can change it if you like.
I've spent some time on 705's on my Vstrom on dirt, gravel, and sand. They're not bad tires. you just have to have reasonable expectations. No they don't handle like knobbies. Yes, they can grip alright in dry hardpack, especially if aired down a bit. What they're really good for is putting sport bike riders to shame!

I run an IRC TR8 front and Shinko 244 rear on my DR right now. Much better with more agressive tires for the off-road portions and these are perfectly acceptable on pavement. I've ridden sport bike riders asses though corners on this bike with these tires.

Last edited by William Wolfen; 02-20-2018 at 09:07 PM.
William Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #95
jsoucie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mud Taco View Post

Rode the 705’s on a tiny bit of dirt/gravel on some Iowa county roads and it was alright. They were fairly hard-packed and remind me of TX cr’s. I didn’t check the tracks yet, but I assume we’re riding mostly cr’s and maybe some a bit tougher than others?

Unfortunately, the knobbies were pretty bald and I left them at a cycle world in NC last summer.

Tail of the Dragon was a **** ton of fun on the 705’s though! Probably would’ve been even better without luggage!

Garage
‘05 KLR650

RIP
‘99 VF1000R
‘01 SV650
jsoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #96
Texas Mud Taco
TWT Advertiser

On pavement they are great, I have no problem with them. Hard pack as well.

It's when the road surface is a little loose that things get hairy. I didn't mean to say that you won't do just fine, but if this weekend is challenging I would look at replacing just the front with a more dirt oriented tire.

I guess I should have ended with the caveat: YMMV

GnarTek.com
Old 02-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #97
c_m_shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimsweeper View Post
Carry a quart of oil with you.
c_m_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #98
hambone334

If anyone needs a room at the hill top in Menard, I have a friend that will not be able to make it. There was a 10 day cancellation. Let me know and he can set it up for you

hambone334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #99
sanderjavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone334 View Post
If anyone needs a room at the hill top in Menard, I have a friend that will not be able to make it. There was a 10 day cancellation. Let me know and he can set it up for you

Well that stinks. On both. I've never heard of a cancellation policy like that for a regular motel, outside of a special event or holiday...But I called to confirm their policy.

We booked at the Budget Inn last year and pushed the ride back one week and they were very accommodating, easy to deal with, but I had a suggestion to move the base motel to the Hilltop this year.

So for me the ride in on, rain or shine...

2018 Adventure Rider Breakfast Series & Ride Calendar HERE
sanderjavant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #100
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Imo,. Thinking may get wet weekend so since I don't have waterproof boots. What about extra large zip lock bags inside boots (seems plauasable) . Also used that spray kiwi stuff on them and still had damp socks last time. I saw this at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Silicone-...unces/52130847
Think it's better than the 🥝 stuff?
Sat morning looks damp and cool, I know, will change forcast tomorrow.
For Sale: Dark Blue 8'Bed E.Cab 2000 Silverado
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is online now   Reply With Quote