• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The handlebar thread

Reaction score
Hopefully this'll seed a dedicated thread to one of the most talked about mods.

I finally got around to installing the Bikemaster Daytona bars on my 1250. I cut a 1/2" off each end with a pipe cutter, and used a round file to clean up the inside of the cut. Elected to trim off the pegs from the inside of the controls rather than have to drill the bar for that locating peg; wanted more flexibility in locating the controls, both in rotation and in/out from the center of the bike. The controls are apt to spin fairly easily now, even with the screws torqued down; I'll probably put some painter's tape on the bar underneath the controls to help them grip. Oh, the same round file (double cut) worked well to remove the pegs - though without a vise to hold the plastic piece it would have been trickier.

The left grip wasn't as hard to remove as I'd read about. Used the long thin screwdriver technique to break it loose (before removing the bar from the triple clamp!)

I'd never removed bar ends before, but it does look like *not* unscrewing the screw completely is a Better Way to Go. Wasn't sure at first whether it'd be easy to retrieve the interior bit of the assembly from inside the bar.

All in all, a no-brainer for the $20. I'd prefer another few degrees of rotation, though (pinky lower, thumb higher).

There are one or two buried in the monster thread. To be honest, the angle difference between the two doesn't look like all that much. My wrists do feel an improvement, though. I didn't think I'd be able to take any pictures that really shed much light on the difference.

You know, it's weird: the handlebar change made my shifts smoother!

I rotated the clutch lever down some below stock when I swapped bars. Today I was clicking off upshifts like a DSG gearbox. Amazing how much difference it made.

I did it - here's my pics:

BikeMasterDaytonaHandleBar001.jpg

BikeMasterDaytonaHandleBar004.jpg

It made a big difference for my wrists. Now they make contact across the palm and not only on the outside edge.

Cheap mod - $20.

Are these handlebars lower? Do they make you lean over more like a sportbike?

I am interested in lowering my handlebars closer to the front like a sportbike. The bandit sits really high for me, and even though I did lower my handlebars a bit last night, I would be interested in ones that make it 3 inches or more bent over.

Suggestions anyone?

Are these handlebars lower? Do they make you lean over more like a sportbike?

I am interested in lowering my handlebars closer to the front like a sportbike. The bandit sits really high for me, and even though I did lower my handlebars a bit last night, I would be interested in ones that make it 3 inches or more bent over.

Suggestions anyone?

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/A4758821

$15 - They're the black bars on the bottom. Pretty much completely flat, no rise or pull back to speak of. Had them on my SV and thought they were fine. A little tiresome around town, but at highway speeds, on a naked bike, the wind kept the weight off your wrists pretty well.

I think they'd be pretty extreme for the Bandit, when you're that low, even the stock windscreen is going to keep all the wind off of you and it'll be annoying with that much weight on your wrists. Add a pillion and it gets twice as bad b/c they're leaning forward to hang onto you. YMMV.

But, for $15, it's hard to go wrong. Bikemaster has a whole bunch of different bends, get whatever you think is what you're after. For $15 they really transformed the SV.

Here's some links to pics, mine's the blue naked (not 56k friendly at all...):

https://webspace.utexas.edu/treybrad/www/SVRider/ride 015.jpg

https://webspace.utexas.edu/treybrad/www/SVRider/ride 011.jpg

https://webspace.utexas.edu/treybrad/www/SVRider/ride 006.jpg

trey

It would just be too freaky!:angryfire :flip:

No it wouldn't. I am checking it out thinking it would make it like a sports bike how the bars are lower rather than really tall.

I am going to get some different bars for my bike - probably straight, but they way the current bars are, I think lower could also work.

When I get my new bars, I will install my current bars upside-down before I install the new bars and see how they work. Then send photos.

Then I will say "that was a dumb idea" and install my new bars.

Upside down might give issues with clearance I'd think - would you be able to go full lock left and right with them that low, or would they hit the tank/fairing?

Upside down might give issues with clearance I'd think - would you be able to go full lock left and right with them that low, or would they hit the tank/fairing?

Yes you're right - I guess that was what I was really asking. "Has anyone tried turning them upside down (think flipping left right so they are still pointing towards you), and had it work?"

I am looking at it thinking it would be close and could hit, but don't know until I have tried it.

This weekend I did turn my bars a bit towards me to make them lower, but my thumb is really close to the tank. So I will buy the straight bars and install those so I can get lower while still having good clearance. I want a lower riding position.

How did you get your handlegrips off? Or did you just buy new ones for the new handlebars?

I cant get the original left handlegrip off to put it on the new bars.

Long, #1 philllips screwdriver. Wiggle it under the grip. I'd get it ~1" in, and then rotate it around the perimeter of the bar. Go another inch in, repeat.

Do the Daytona bars have less sweep back than the stock bars, and how does the rise of them compare to the the stock bars?

Thanks. I got it off and installed my new handlebars - but they don't fit. I will send pics why.

When turning to the left or right full on, it misses the tank on the near side, but the brake or clutch lever hits the fairings on the front side. So I will have to re-install the original bars. I don't think I will try again with a different set of bars.

Well per PhilS's feedback, I just ordered up a set of the Daytona handle bars from ridenow.com for a total of $22.95 shipped.

These bars have less sweep back then the stock bars, and thats exactly what I was looking for, and I can't wait to get them and try em out.

It looks like they are shipping out of their Tempe AZ. warehouse, so hopefully I will get them before Christmas. :thumb:

Fitted Renthal Bars to mine (their Low's or Ultra lows). Same sort of height as the stockers, just less angled. Much better.

Only problem is that have just added the Vstorm HandGuards for the winter, and I had to trim them down quite a bit as I couldn't get full lock when turning - and couldn't lock the bike either - got it sorted now though.

Back