• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New (to me) scooter

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Jackson
The big Beemer has a new little sister, a Brit bike no less. It's a 2008 Triumph America with 11,600 miles. She'd been sitting in a garage for more than a year. She was running like crap; would not idle at all. I tried draining the tank and running fresh gas with Seafoam, but that didn't work. I finally pulled the carbs (royal PIA) and soaked the pilot and main jets in Chem-dip (there was green gunk all over them). Happy to report she runs like a top now! Should be a great little run-about scoot.[emoji4]
7b75edfd5977f03b8a9247dd5eb0404a.jpg
61bf6ad02829a47648bc42b60df752f3.jpg
4f45c21d50120016ca8c01565b705b24.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I love my '02 America. Classic looks, grand performance, what's not to like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all! Think it deserves a windshield and saddlebags or should I just leave it classically naked?

Nekkid! You have one with all the goodies on it already, this is your freedom from mass bike.

I have wind screen, footboards, saddlebags, and enjoy them.
Since I never ride two-up, I recently reminded the pillion seat & installed a luggage rack. I travel on mine and run errands so the bags are useful. Doesn't effect performance as best I can tell.

I would like it just as much naked.

Perhaps a quick removable screen? IMG_0260.jpgIMG_1157.jpg

To be honest I like the looks of the bike both ways. I am going to put on a windshield for sure because this old guy just doesn't feel like always wearing a face shield, even though I ALWAYS wear a helmet.

I trust you are out on a shake down ride this Saturday AM.

A 1ST impression report please.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Indeed I was on a shake down ride. I did about 25 miles to include a trip to the Murphy Station on Franklin for a non ethanol fill up. She is a lot of fun. No motorcycle is really like a car, even a convertible. However, my analogy is the Triumph America is like a Miata convertible where the K1600GTL is like a Mercedes S500. It's a very fun bike, but I wouldn't be happy on a long trip with it. That said, I am surprised how strong the engine runs! Just raw fun at speeds less than, say 60mph. (Side note: I used Liqui Moly synthetic oil and the smoother shifting is noticeable, just like on the big Beemer.)

If that is a scooter my miniature poodle is a great dane....beautiful bike!

Yep, I call 'em all scooters from time to time. Just my southern sense of humor I guess. Appreciate the compliment. Having ridden it for a couple of weeks now, the word that comes to mind is "civilized". It's quiet, dependable, behaves very well, not too fast, yet surprisingly strong. Also quite agile when you want it to be.

Back