• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Breakfast - 5/6/17 @ 9a Los Dos Amigos in Center Point + 2-day ride option

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
32037690350_047edb4ff2.jpg

A Texas Adventure Riders Association
San Antonio Chapter Event

Los Dos Amigos Restaurant
322 FM 480
Center Point, TX 78010
Google map

26921031972_5492b88395_c.jpg

May Post Breakfast 2-Day Ride Information - To San Saba, Texas and backhttp://www.sansabatexas.com/
Saturday, May 6th and Sunday, May 7th*
*Date change - moved one week earlier, from Mother's Day weekend.

If anyone is up for a post breakfast ride see the optional route maps at the bottom. Groups usually take off around 10am.

The Adventure Breakfasts & Rides are all about fun, camaraderie and being safe. Some groups will focus on completing the route, others will just relax and ride to their cut off time and head home.

The route is a no host self-guided GPS ride, as the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one.

A group size of 4 - 6 riders with about a maximum of 8 is optimal, grouping by bike size or desired pace is also beneficial if possible.

For those that join my group
When I lead a group I don’t stop for lunch, I have several nature break stops and a stop midway for snacks or a sandwich I bring with me out in the country, then of course there are the planned fuel stops.

I stop at every non-obvious corner and wait for the entire group and make sure the last rider sees the proper way to go, there is NEVER a need to ride above your comfort level to keep up, we won’t leave you, I encourage riders to spread out to avoid the dust. The daisy chain method also works well, especially when its extremely dusty to keep the group even more spread out, the rider in front makes sure the rider behind makes the corner and so on until the sweep rider makes the corner. As long as the rider in front takes responsibility for the rider behind no one gets lost.

Lodging
Motel
, we picked the Executive Inn as its walking distance to restaurants, 1010 N High St, San Saba, TX 76877
(325) 372-5191. Other options.

Camping, Risien Park. Phone City Hall at 325.372.5144 or
email sansaba@centex.net for further information on camping availability.

Dinner and Sunday morning breakfast TBD.

Rain date
information will be posted on the Thursday before the ride if necessary.

Saturday, May 6 - up to San Saba*
34067711036_22b53e10c3_c.jpg

Sunday, May 7 - back from San Saba*

33266001554_f0442c0d5c_c.jpg

Safety and rider etiquette
Having your emergency contact information on you and having that information readily available is critical. This is important not just for group rides but everyday. Even though you may have a buddy along on the ride you may get separated on the road.
At minimum:
Name
Your street
Your town, state, Zip code
Driver's license # & state
Emergency contact
Emergency Phone
I taped mine on the bottom of the visor of my dual sport helmet, I also taped another on the back side of my fairing near the dash. The important thing is that it is easy for anyone to find.

Respect the landowners and other road users, slow down and ride quietly when passing, people, vehicles, animals, homes, etc.

Last edited:
Re: Adventure Breakfast & 2-Day Ride - May 13 & 14 @ 9a Los Dos Amigos in Center Poin

This will be a blast. checking the calendar....

Re: Adventure Breakfast - 5/13/17 @ 9a Los Dos Amigos in Center Point + 2-day ride op

I might check back on this later. Posting so I can follow the thread more closely. Depends on what all is going on where. It's that season where there are lots of rides and lately I've been splitting time between paved and non paved riding!!!

I will miss this as my Granddaughter graduates from college that weekend. So off to Georgia we go.

The trip to San Saba is always a great ride.

Ride for fun, Ride Safe
Lee

Looks like loads of fun, but here is my standard inquirey; What kind of dirt and water crossings on this adventure? I often ask this to help me decide what bike to ride :doh:

Perhaps a rating system? Similar to class 1 & 2 dirt, with the addition of tenths scale, and water scale. Example:

Dirt
Class 1.0 = Fine graded, just as smoothe as can be.
Class 1.5 = Medium graded, some washboard, and marble size loose rock.
Class 2.0 = Not graded, mostly compact surface, with possible small ruts, holes, rocks, small climb & descents.
Class 2.5 = Not graded, medium sand, loose gravel, with possible medium ruts, holes, mild sand/gravel beds, two-track, medium climb & descents.
Class 2.9 = Not Graded, large ruts, rocks, medium sand/gravel beds, narrow two-track, short steep climb & descents. (Caution with heavier bikes)

Water
Class 1.0 = Water less than 2" deep, over hard surface with good traction.
Class 1.5 = Water less than 6" deep, over hard surface with medium traction.
Class 2.0 = Water less than 1' deep, over hard surface, loose gravel, shallow mud, with possible slippery traction. (Caution with heavier bikes)
Class 2.9 = Water less than 2' deep, over hard rock, or shallow loose rock with possible medium mud, often slippery traction. (Warning with heavier bikes)

Caution = Increased Risk of damage to equipment or injury to rider -- commensurate to rider ability.
Warning = Moderate Risk of damage to equipment or injury to rider -- commensurate to rider ability, unpredictable conditions.

Of coarse this is just a rough draft to convey my point. Most of the rides I have had the pleasure to ride, I would rate D1.5 W1.5 and suitable for small and large dualsports. I would rate the James River crossing last weekend a solid D1.5 W2.9. Don't get me started on a Pucker Factor Rating :lol2:

I hope to finally make this one and over night it as well.

Thanks Sander, for putting this together. I plan to be there at least for part and may be able to bring my son on his bike too. I'm with Fred in hoping to understand more about the routes. For myself, it would be especially helpful to know at least the challenge levels of the water crossings. Thanks again

Looks like loads of fun, but here is my standard inquirey; What kind of dirt and water crossings on this adventure? I often ask this to help me decide what bike to ride :doh:

Fred great idea on the grading system!

I rarely pre-ride the routes I post beforehand. I usually have ridden some or most of the roads as sections that have been used on other routes over the years. I build the routes at my computer using the Roads of Texas map book as my guide which is the best and most accurate I have used, but not perfect.

Following a line on my GPS and leading a group makes it difficult to note specifics on roads, except for the really good/bad sections. Also GPS has gotten me away from using maps during the ride to make notes.

The routes should be fairly typical for Hill County rides, priorities are dirt/ gravel roads (usually class 1), then single lane paved and lastly state highways. There is a short, nasty, slick wide off camber water crossing with no burned in line somewhere south of Castell but I can’t tell you if it’s on the Saturday route or nor what the water level is like. The last time I crossed it was dry, the time before I was picking up my bike out of the water. Walking bikes across may be an option if necessary, I can't compare it to the tough James River crossing as I've never (and don't ever plan to) attempted that one. The last time I rode to San Saba the roads to the south on the Saturday route were freshly graded and had some moisture in them, but dry there could be loose sand, similar to the area south of Castell. The only tough spots I know of is the water crossing mentioned above if it’s on the route and the crossings around Click on Sunday. I haven’t ridden the crossings around Click in several years so if anyone has any current information about those please let me know.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C6lga2YelE"]Burn-it Ride day 1 @ Sandy Creek .2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUdKlnW-nzM"]Burn-it Ride day 1 @ Sandy Creek - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7PKFUTpnJo"]To Llano and back Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride - County Road 315 - YouTube[/ame]

Sander, can you recommend a place to leave my truck overnight around Comfort?

RG,

For overnight tow vehicle parking I've had good luck with RV parks in the past. Usually they let you park a vehicle for a small fee per day with advance notice, you might try RV Park USA 108 Blue Rdg, Comfort, TX 78013 http://www.rvparkusa.net/- Phone: 830-995-2900

There is a short, nasty, slick wide off camber water crossing with no burned in line somewhere south of Castell but I can’t tell you if it’s on the Saturday route or nor what the water level is like. The last time I crossed it was dry, the time before I was picking up my bike out of the water. Walking bikes across may be an option if necessary, I can't compare it to the tough James River crossing as I've never (and don't ever plan to) attempted that one.

Someone on TWT may recognize this crossing.

Pictures from 2012.

IMG_7970.jpg

IMG_7972.jpg

IMG_7973.jpg

IMG_7979.jpg

Been wanting to see that bridge for many years now.

I really want to make this ride. I rode some of the way with you back in November on a Triumph Scrambler but was not able to make it all the way up and spend the night on that trip. I plan to make the complete trip this time. I started riding some of the Lone Star Dual Sport Loop on my Scrambler and it just wasn't up to that kind of riding, so I won't be using it as a dual sport bike any more. I don't have a proper dual-sport. I do have a Ural. I know that Builtea rides his Ural on some of these rides, so I plan to do so as well this weekend. At least I shouldn't have to worry about falling at a slick water crossing! The bike is slow as heck but it should handle the ride. I'll bring along extra gas and plenty of tools. Also, it would be a good med evac vehicle if needed, God forbid.

I do have a Ural. I know that Builtea rides his Ural on some of these rides, so I plan to do so as well this weekend. At least I shouldn't have to worry about falling at a slick water crossing!

Great! I'm not sure is Bill is coming, we always need a Ural on the ride. Two would even be better.

More info on what the ride will be like -San Saba “Pecan Capital of the World” ride - January 28th & 29th, 2012

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi8Yk3XQNEQ"]San Saba "Pecan Capital of the World" ride - January 28th & 29th, 2012 - Llano County - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like a great time for camping in Risien park. Anybody else up for the adventure?

See y'all in la manana.

Weather is looking... made to order? :rider:

Last edited:
San Saba dining?

Dinner: Smoked oysters and salmon on saltines with a splash of hot chocolate while watching the stars come out - and a wee touch to help ward off the chill.

Breakfast: Toasted blueberry English muffins with a schmeer of peanut butter and, of course- manly fresh brewed coffee.

:eat:

Last edited:
Back