• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Scoot

Johnf3

Reaction score
So I have a bunch of bikes that are not ridden much anymore, and my wife has been on me to sell some. So, I contacted a riding buddy that knows a bunch of people to help me get the word out on three bikes I want to sell.

Then he tells me he is trading a 450 KTM SXF in at the dealer today. Next thing I know I bought it instead. Brought it home with no fuss from the better half. Cool.

I have wanted a SXF 450 for a while now to convert into an off road racer/all around off roader. I am an old moto guy so I am comfortable on MXers. This bike is crazy fast. Modern 450 MX bikes have gotten about as fast as the old open class two strokes, no exaggeration. I wheelied it up and down my block about 10 times to the amusement of the neighbors and can't wait to get it on dirt.

It already has some cool stuff on it and is low hours and clean as a whistle. As I get it built the way I want, I will try and add updates here.

Ain't she purdy?

450sxf_zps890d35e8.jpg

So I was going to document some of the changes as I did them to make this bike into an off roader instead of a pure motocrosser. The overwhelming response :mrgreen: to this thread sorta tempered my enthusiasm so the two people that read this will have to do with a list and some video.

The bike came with a Rekluse Core 2.0 clutch that was dragging badly. I took it apart and found warped steel drive plates. Replaced all of them and it works perfect. I put a Steahly 12 ounce flywheel weight on, which was an ordeal because it has to be epoxied and baked in the oven to cure. Works great though. Bike pulls smooth and strong and will not stall. I installed Tubliss inserts front and rear, raised the bars and put an extra tall factory seat on it. That is it for now.

Put 45 miles on it last Sunday and the bike is amazing. May tweak the suspension later as it is set up for full moto from Factory Connection but it is good for now.

Edit: Can't figure out how to embed the video from Photobucket.

Sounds good. Do you know how the 12oz flywheel weight compares to an exc flywheel?

So I was going to document some of the changes as I did them to make this bike into an off roader instead of a pure motocrosser. The overwhelming response :mrgreen: to this thread sorta tempered my enthusiasm so the two people that read this will have to do with a list and some video.

Nice bike! Don't lose your enthusiasm. I happen to agree with you on the benefits of the light-weight Orange SX bikes for off-road applications. I was advised against getting a 250 SX for single track/hare scrambles by alot of folks. Turns out, with an 11 oz fly wheel weight the 250 SX is my favorite off-roader of all time...

So, keep sharing your conversion tips. Others may catch on...

Last edited:
Sounds good. Do you know how the 12oz flywheel weight compares to an exc flywheel?

I do not. Steahly sells a 15 ounce and an 8 ounce for the SX in addition to the 12. I think the 12 is the right one for me. The bike still rips. My buddy doing the filming is on a 2015 300 xcw in the video and he said the SX was roosting like a two stroke.

I can say I spent some time on a stock 2014 500 XCW and my 450 feels quicker and stronger even with the flywheel.

When I took the clutch apart it was obvious that KTM did work to keep reciprocating mass to a minimum. I know the crank is ultra light, and the clutch basket is as light and minimalist as any I have seen. Have not seen inside a new EXC, but I bet it has way more turning engine mass than the SX not counting the flywheel.

NICE BIKE!

I rode one the other day and I must say ..."it was the best all around trail / track I have ridden".

do a few things and then ride it.:rider:

Nice bike! Don't lose your enthusiasm. I happen to agree with you on the benefits of the light-weight Orange SX bikes for off-road applications. I was advised against getting a 250 SX for single track/hare scrambles by alot of folks. Turns out, with an 11 oz fly wheel weight the 250 SX is my favorite off-roader of all time...

Thanks man. I forgot I also drained the coolant and refilled with Evans Powersport coolant. I am not going to run a fan so I need my coolant to stay put, and Evans will not boil for practical purposes. At some point I will do an Acerbis 3 gallon tank, but for now I am happy. I have my Husaberg still that is street titled so I will probably just keep my KTM lean and mean and not worry with lights, kick stand, etc. Also 13/50 gearing--stock is 14/52.

Yep, there's something different under the covers. My 530 is a tractor down low but it has nothing like the snap and brutality of that 450. MedicJeff calls them psychotic motorcycles because of their dual personalities... nice easy going to suddenly ripping chaotic hang on if you can dispositions. Keep the updates coming. :thumb:

Yep, there's something different under the covers. My 530 is a tractor down low but it has nothing like the snap and brutality of that 450. MedicJeff calls them psychotic motorcycles because of their dual personalities... nice easy going to suddenly ripping chaotic hang on if you can dispositions. Keep the updates coming. :thumb:

Whiskey throttle is definitely in play now. We are putting on a Grand Prix this weekend, and have a 12 mile loop laid out for the race course. I was riding the last few miles at speed last Sunday and was tired and hit some braking bumps. My throttle hand slipped off the bars and cranked the throttle. :eek2: Reminded me of my old KX 500. It sure is fun to ride though, and really at the end of the day I was less tired than if I had been on the 'Berg.

Thanks for sharing, I just picked up 2013 myself. For now, pretty stock except suspension. Trying to decide if I want to race it at TORCS this w/e.

my scooter

Attachments

• photo 400.JPG
    photo 400.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 208
Thanks for sharing, I just picked up 2013 myself. For now, pretty stock except suspension. Trying to decide if I want to race it at TORCS this w/e.

Very nice. I see an FMF powerbomb sitting beside yours. Mine came with one too, titanium header and all. Is yours a 450, SX, XCF??

I actually bought by 13 over a 14 because I did not want to deal with the 4CS forks.

SX, and I'm running stock exhaust. He said the FMF was extremely loud.

Will do, not sure which bike I'll take. Still in points chase so don't want to mess it up! lol

Easy for you to say,,,,,,,,,you have skills. :clap:

Hey Danny. We miss ya. I have only put about 80 miles on this bike, but I really like it so far.

Trail Tech had a 20% off sale with free two day shipping so I grabbed one of their stators for the 450 sxf. Easy and straightforward to replace--just be careful with the four allen head stator bolts as they are small but locktited in. Use a good allen wrench or you will strip the heads and have a problem.

Here is the OEM stator. The poles are fully wound with wire as you can see.

IMG_0768_zps87ebab3f.jpg

Here is the Trail Tech stator. You can see the thicker wire which is how they get the added power.

IMG_0770_zps56be7f1e.jpg

The connection to the voltage regulator is under the tank. It plugs in the same as stock. Got everything buttoned back up and have a nice 14.10 volts at idle. I will be adding LED lights and heated grips now that I have the available juice.

In both pictures you can also see part of the flywheel weight that I added. I went with a 12 ounce weight and I like it.

Do you still feel the 12 ounce fww is the best choice considering that "whiskey throttle" episode ?

Do you still feel the 12 ounce fww is the best choice considering that "whiskey throttle" episode ?

Yes, I would not go heavier. Keep in mind I am 6' 4" and about 220 lbs. Over 50 mid pack A. I was actually thinking about trying an 8 ounce weight but I would have to pop for another stock flywheel (150) plus the weight (140 ). Steahly also offers a 15 ounce. Keep in mind the 2013 KTM 450 sxf was/is the most powerful 450 any of the magazines have tested. It was a beast the first time I rode it stock. It was intimidating and I raced a KX500 back in the early 90's if that gives you a reference.

This is my favorite bike so far. The power, now, is near perfect and the suspension is the best of any KTM I have ever owned. Factory Connection did the work. I ran power for a TrailTech computer I added and have extra power for a GPS, heated grips, and lights if I ever want to add them. Right now I am going to leave it like it is.

I also installed a titanium FMF megabomb header and a RCT 4.1 muffler with a quiet insert and spark arrestor. It is a more quiet combo than stock although I can't tell a power difference it saves a couple pounds.

Back