• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Late Winter in the Ouachita Mtns/Forest

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Six of us set out from the NWLa/ETex area with grand plans for to explore some of the Ouachita Mountains/National Forest on what was supposed to be a springtime Friday; however, Old Man Winter had other plans and our early spring turned to 43* and spitting rain before we reached Texarkana, where three of our entourage turned back for home. But 3 of us pressed on, finding the Mena MtnTop Cabins almost engulfed in the clouds:

get-photo.asp

Saturday morning, after a hearty breakfast at Vicki's Cafe a/k/a Lott's Country Kitchen in Hatfield (rider recommended):

get-photo.asp

Weather cut our planned ride short, but we still managed a little exploring before the real rain set in about 1pm Saturday:

get-photo.asp

Crossing Brushy Creek:

get-photo.asp

The road into the clouds:

get-photo.asp

The return ride Sunday was rain-free, but quite cold & windy. Unfortunately, I was just too cold to take to remove my gloves to take pics. All-in-all a good ride.

Looks like fun. I need to get back there. I think my favorite self portrait was taken right outside Mena.

P1010297-L.jpg

78326985-Ti.gif

Six of us set out from the NWLa/ETex area with grand plans for to explore some of the Ouachita Mountains/National Forest on what was supposed to be a springtime Friday; however, Old Man Winter had other plans and our early spring turned to 43* and spitting rain before we reached Texarkana, where three of our entourage turned back for home. But 3 of us pressed on, finding the Mena MtnTop Cabins almost engulfed in the clouds:

get-photo.asp

Saturday morning, after a hearty breakfast at Vicki's Cafe a/k/a Lott's Country Kitchen in Hatfield (rider recommended):

get-photo.asp

Weather cut our planned ride short, but we still managed a little exploring before the real rain set in about 1pm Saturday:

get-photo.asp

Crossing Brushy Creek:

get-photo.asp

The road into the clouds:

get-photo.asp

The return ride Sunday was rain-free, but quite cold & windy. Unfortunately, I was just too cold to take to remove my gloves to take pics. All-in-all a good ride.
Thanks for sharing! :sun:

Cool Swamp Fox, was this over the weekend of the 23-24 March? We were up around mena during that time too. Was COLD and WET! Gorgeous country, it was my first time and I will be back.

Cool Swamp Fox, was this over the weekend of the 23-24 March? We were up around mena during that time too. Was COLD and WET! Gorgeous country, it was my first time and I will be back.

Yep, that's the weekend. COLD and WET! The Aerostich Warm-Bib was a BIG help on the KLX250S. The most difficult thing was the incessant fogging of both eye-glasses and faceshield.

But according to the DFW Warrior on another thread, this is average weather for a Scottish summer: When Calgary Yogi took us over there for a tour, his folks were commenting on "what a warm Scottish day" it was. It was 42 and raining..... :lol2:

Gravel Guy, I keep thinking I would rally enjoy traveling these roads on a sidecar rig. :rider:

Jim had his camera mounted about 30" up on the left side of his GS. He posted this short clip of one of the creek crossings in the forest (hope the link works): http://contour.com/stories/water-crossing--7

I'm working on it! BTW, the video worked for me! :sun:

Back