• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Decided I needed a better camera.

Reaction score
Suggestions on cameras?

This was posted on TWT as being able to fit in a shirt pocket.
Good, cause then it can replace the pack of cigs I have there.
Seems I am always stopping to smoke where there are nice views.
So instead of grabbing a cig, i wind up with a camera in my hand.
Trouble is my shirts have two top pockets.

Canon Powershot S110

Next up is really a question...

the D3xxx will not do what i want from what i have read, not that i will ever do it with the ones that can do it, meaning HDR... D5000 and D7000 will.

Nikon D7000 SLR

Do i really need the D7000, what about the D5xxx?

M38A1, you posted in your equipments that you have a D700,
I had thought from reading your posts that you also have a D7000.

No, I am not hauling around the whole the package of goodies with me, just the item for what i shoot, like no macro.

I am not so sure that HDR would be that interesting to me.
Fun to play with, but....

Last edited:
If you go with the D7000, consider bypassing the standard pair of Nikon zooms and go with a Sigma 18-250mm superzoom instead. I just bought one to go with my new D5300, and I'm loving it. For an all-in-one scenic lens, it's a great package.

If you go with the D7000, consider bypassing the standard pair of Nikon zooms and go with a Sigma 18-250mm superzoom instead. I just bought one to go with my new D5300, and I'm loving it. For an all-in-one scenic lens, it's a great package.

I will have to look at price comparisons for the D5300 and D7000.
I don't need all the items with the D7000 i posted.
So maybe the price will come up the same.

needed: body, 50mm WA, Sigma 18-250mm (hummm?), tripod.
Don't really see needing a flash with DSLR, PnS would work for the shots requiring that, meaning range of shot.

When my wife dropped our P&S (point and shoot) camera in a public toilet - ugh - I decided to invest in a waterproof camera. I was torn between the Nikon and Olympus versions but Olympus won out since I could grab a factory refurbished for less money. I like it. Takes great pics. It's a little heavier and more bulky than those little slim cameras on the market but it can withstand drops, dust, dirt, sand, water and whatever else you throw at it within reason. Also can take underwater pics, not that I have.

Here's the one I have on [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-TG-830-Digital-Optical/dp/B00AQ2BV00"]Amazon[/ame]. For you hardy dual sporters and adventure riders these types of cameras are ideal. You don't need to lock them in water tight cases, can keep them in a tank bag or coat pocket. Yes I got the red one as it's easy to find should I set it down somewhere and then "forget" where I put it. I also got some extra batteries from Wasabi with their charger which you can plug into a cigarette lighter type outlet or regular wall outlet.

When my wife dropped our P&S (point and shoot) camera in a public toilet - ugh - I decided to invest in a waterproof camera. I was torn between the Nikon and Olympus versions but Olympus won out since I could grab a factory refurbished for less money. I like it. Takes great pics. It's a little heavier and more bulky than those little slim cameras on the market but it can withstand drops, dust, dirt, sand, water and whatever else you throw at it within reason. Also can take underwater pics, not that I have.

Here's the one I have on Amazon. For you hardy dual sporters and adventure riders these types of cameras are ideal. You don't need to lock them in water tight cases, can keep them in a tank bag or coat pocket. Yes I got the red one as it's easy to find should I set it down somewhere and then "forget" where I put it. I also got some extra batteries from Wasabi with their charger which you can plug into a cigarette lighter type outlet or regular wall outlet.

I guess since it is listed as 'old model' it is still avaliable.
Had thought about red, with you pointing out visiblitly whatever i get will be red. I do like the pointing out that it is more DS oriented.
Haven't read about the water/shock resistance of the one i posted.

I am on my 2nd Panasonic Lumix PnS. The last one being bought at Costco for a trip that fell thru. I take it a lot of places for convenience and it works well. I have an enlargement from the State Fair taken at night and it did pretty well.

I got tired of lugging around the whole Dslr setup; ended up buying a Fuji C70 at Costco or Sam's. It is billed as being shockproof, waterproof, has numerous settings (of course). I got it for about 140 dollars with a soft case and card. I'm not really thrilled with it, but it takes good pics, and it is truly shirt pocket size.

looked up the C70 and could not find a camera with those numbers.

Just back from walmart.
Here is what this local had, just as info... I don't really care where i get a camera from.

Fuji XP85. well not listed on fuji site, just an xp80. yellow. I do like this for water and shock value.
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/xp/finepix_xp80/

Cannon SX610, i like it seems better than the XP85, but i really don't want to give up the water/shock prof.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/other_powershot/powershot_sx610_hs#Specifications

Nikon coolpix S7000. Actually forget this one.
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/COOLPIX-S7000.html

... Sigma 18-250mm (hummm?) ...

If you (or any other TWTers) should find yourself in need of a nice leather (? dunno, looks like it, feels like it ?) case for a Sigma 80-200mm f3.5-4 lens, I have one that's been taking up space since the Nikon FE, bag, and contents (including the 110mm Nikkor portrait lens - Aarrgghhh!) were stolen in a burglary in '98. The price is right (it's nothing but a dust collector) and I could bring it to PTAR if you're gonna be there. Otherwise, free, including postage.

Happy weekend!
:mrgreen:

Baja,
Yes, I have a D700 (NOT a D7000) in the stable. It's a full-frame DSLR with a battery grip, and combined with my glass does a respectable job at creating images.

I run around with my Olympus tough series and love it. Pictures are fair, but when you factor in waterproof its pretty good. Been swimming in pools, taken pictures under water, ridden in the rain, dropped it many times and it still is kickin' after 3 years.

I run around with my Olympus tough series and love it. Pictures are fair, but when you factor in waterproof its pretty good. Been swimming in pools, taken pictures under water, ridden in the rain, dropped it many times and it still is kickin' after 3 years.

I found two Olympus Tough Series....
TG-4 and TG-860.... Do I really need RAW in a PnS camera?

Have you looked at a Samsung nx300? That is my bike camera and it is fairly impressive given its size and price.

Brian

Someone else will need to chime on on the raw. I shoot only in jpg. Lol.

Will someone please tell me if PnS really has need of RAW.
Need to get a PnS and get that purchase out of the way.
Then make the desision on a DSLR.

Please and Thank you.
Y'all are a lot of help.

Are you ever going to go into a photo editing program and do some fairly heavy editing? If so, then shoot in RAW and only RAW as it will give you much more data to work with. Are you going to be famine these photos and scaling them back so you can post them at a lower resolution to a motorcycle forum? If this is your game then you most certainly don't need to shoot in RAW.

If you are going to mess with HDR, then I would suggest shooting in RAW as it is fairly data heavy with the processing.

Are you ever going to go into a photo editing program and do some fairly heavy editing? If so, then shoot in RAW and only RAW as it will give you much more data to work with. Are you going to be famine these photos and scaling them back so you can post them at a lower resolution to a motorcycle forum? If this is your game then you most certainly don't need to shoot in RAW.

If you are going to mess with HDR, then I would suggest shooting in RAW as it is fairly data heavy with the processing.

What i see using the PnS is not for HDR, but if there might be another reason for the PnS to shot in RAW. The DSLR I get will have RAW capability for HDR.

PnS RAW camera is about 150.00 more than the one without, and to me would work just as well (same rugged frame and water proof, but no RAW). Would there be any other reasons to have a PnS RAW capability.

Edit: After thinking about it, no one that has posted images and stated it was with a PnS has ever mentioned RAW.
So my choice of PnS will be the TG-860... Olympus TG-860

Last edited:
Are you wanting to do in-camera HDR or are you wanting the higher-res images to process HDR on the computer when you get home?

If you're processing at home, don't worry about the in-camera features, as they're irrelevant. However, shooting in RAW will give you a lot more to HDR with.

As for waterproof P&S, the Olympus line is hard to beat.
My wife had one of the original ones and it worked great for about 7yrs before the seals dried out and it died due to water.
Replaced with a TG-850. It's been a great little camera.
Naturally, it's low-light isn't great (compared to my D7100) but it does a good job.
If you want the low-light capabilities, go with the TG-4 as it's got a lower f/stop (2.0) which will make all the difference in the world.

Are you wanting to do in-camera HDR or are you wanting the higher-res images to process HDR on the computer when you get home?

If you're processing at home, don't worry about the in-camera features, as they're irrelevant. However, shooting in RAW will give you a lot more to HDR with.

As for waterproof P&S, the Olympus line is hard to beat.
My wife had one of the original ones and it worked great for about 7yrs before the seals dried out and it died due to water.
Replaced with a TG-850. It's been a great little camera.
Naturally, it's low-light isn't great (compared to my D7100) but it does a good job.
If you want the low-light capabilities, go with the TG-4 as it's got a lower f/stop (2.0) which will make all the difference in the world.

Thanks 1TallTXn,

I do not see a real need for RAW on my PnS....
Will have it on whatever DSLR i get for HDR.

Ordered the TG-850.
Now if it will only get here before i have to leave on my next ride.
Will be a lot of pics, better only because of the camera, not the photographer.

Decided to wait on the DSLR. At least till after this trip.

Make sure you get a good speed card. Class 4 IIRC works well with 1080p on lower frame rates.

Back