• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Transferring out of state title to Texas

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Leland
I'm trying to sell my KLR here in Texas, I'm military and have a clear Montana title on the bike in my name. Is there going to be a big hassle for a prospective buyer to get the thing titled and registered here in the big state?
I didn't think it would be any harder than an in-state transfer but there is some concern.
Thanks in advance,
Scotty

They have to get it inspected before and get a green sheet that is used to show that out of state vehicles pass the texas inspection. Then it shouldn't be anything extra, besides fees.

Make sure to get a signed receipt (can be hand written) and form 130-u. You can get that form from the TXDOT website as a pdf. Read the instructions and make sure you sign where you need to sign. That should be it I think.

The buyer will also have to have a safety inspection and the appropriate form.The inspection station will have the form. I can't remember what it is called.

Just to save hassles and to protect yourself from liability, insist the buyer accompany you to the local title office and make darn sure the title is changed over. Accept no excuses for the buyer not being able to change over the title immediately. My insurance totaled a truck about three years ago, took possession, and I just received a red-light camera ticket from Denton in the mail on Saturday. Be prepared to pay sales tax on the bike before you can sell it, too.

Back