• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Enduros?

My bike would be ready to ride again, if I'd stop making clean spots. I just accidentally polished part of my exhaust. Now I gotta finish it.

Philip, the first TORCS race is this weekend in Rockne (south of Bastrop). I've ridden this place before. It's not a bad spot to get your feet wet. Little sand, tight woods, couple smallish logs to hop. Not much topography to speak of. In other words... pretty mild trail as such things go. It'll wear my hiney down to a frazzle pretty quick when trying to go fast but not from any technical works. Gate fee is $10 and a free practice hour at noon. Sign up and race latter if you like.

Rockne enduro

Thanks! I was just looking at that yesterday, it's going to be hard to do anything this weekend as I've been out of town for over 2 weeks though.

I find the classes confusing, which would I be in? Also, how are race numbers issued? Do they sell them at the track or is it up to you to bring them?

Noob questions - sorry.

Last edited:
If you race you'll need a transponder. It's a little bar code thingy that they'll paste under the peak of your helmet. They cost $10 and I guess last until you toss that particular helmet. Yeah, I can't really explain classes too well. Just mention the bike you're riding and that you're new to the game and they'll put you in the right class. Seems like each race wants to use their own numbers. The good ones hand you a nice numbered decal to stick somewhere. Others hand you a sharpie and some duct tape. :doh:

Thanks! I was just looking at that yesterday, it's going to be hard to do anything this weekend as I've been out of town for over 2 weeks though.

I find the classes confusing, which would I be in? Also, how are race numbers issued? Do they sell them at the track or is it up to you to bring them?

Noob questions - sorry.

Noob questions - sorry.

Any doubts on class, run open D. Last row to leave start line, so nobody to mess with till you find your groove. If you win class you can ,move to proper class next time.

You can request your number and if nobody is using you got it. Or they will assign a number. They will provide temporary background with numbers if needed.

If you think you're above beginner class, there is open
C, ect. They all run the same trail and time.

BTW, I hope to be there Sunday, KTM #70 if you need anything.

Just did this. A blast. Hoping somebody has a video of me going over the bars and being pulled back to my seat by some sympathetic angels to simply move right along...

Just did this. A blast. Hoping somebody has a video of me going over the bars and being pulled back to my seat by some sympathetic angels to simply move right along...

Hopping the logs on about your 4th loop or at that nasty little G-out thing?

I rode the practice Saturday and raced the 10:30 round on Sunday. That rain during the night surely made things interesting for the race. Had the fastest get-off I've ever enjoyed on that sandy back stretch just after the woods. I still don't have a clue what happened. Honestly thought my front wheel had came off. Good new is the sand was so fluffy it was like diving into a really big marshmallow. :giveup: Despite the beatings, still had a blast! :rider:

Folks, I need some advice. My right hand always wants to take a nap after about an hour of trying to go fast. That's a really bad thing on the 300 cause, well, if you're familiar with the beasts you know why. I have zero interest in breeding a tree. What am I doing wrong or what exercise, gadget or pharmaceutical should look into??? :giveup:

Since it is only the right, I suspect you could be strangling the throttle grip more so than with the left? Try to focus on not over gripping and see if it makes any noticeable difference. Just be sure the difference doesn't end up being that you stacked it up from going too fast while fixating on your throttle grip.

Thanks Donny. I expect you're spot on with over gripping. There were a few times that I could consciously relax that hand - just a few moments - and that seemed to be a quick fix...just not long lived.

RG - I have done that in the past. Hydrate well and focus on the gripping with the knees while relaxing the grip. I also have a damper which helps with the relaxed grip. Would start to happen toward the end of the race. As opposed to the arm pump where I can't work the controls that happens early on. Lots of time on the bike helps. It may sound odd, but I keep gum in my camelbak... fresh piece at the start and gas up. Helps to focus on chewing and breathing. Relaxes me a bit and I tend to ride looser and not over grip get arm pump.

Last edited:
Another thing is to eat a couple of bananas in the morning, the extra potassium seems to help.

Hopping the logs on about your 4th loop or at that nasty little G-out thing?

Haha I wish! I only made it through 2 loops in the race and did just 1 lap for the practice run a little earlier. That was plenty for me. I tried to be gracious to the true racers (i.e., everyone else lol) and let them pass me with little trouble.

Yeah it was the last log where folks had gathered and photos were being snapped. I thought I got to hear some gasps as I went over the bars and then a lot of hollers and claps as my feet came back down from the air and back on the pegs like I planned the whole thing. I'm actually a little irritated that I don't feel as comfortable on the KTM for the technical stuff as I do on the trials bike, so I plan to ride it more to close that gap. I wouldn't have thought about those logs at all on the trials bike and would have kept on the gas as the back tire came in contact with the log no problem.

My right hand gets sore too but it's my wrist mostly. No numbness. I'd ask you about vibration on the handlebars but it's just your right hand. For me, I think it's because I don't have my elbows up enough. I'm having to tell myself to get my butt up front and my elbows up a lot.

The gum trick is smart and worth trying. I used to do gum to combat tense shoulders a while back, but not for riding though. I will remember that.

Last edited:
I had a bunch of those spring hand grip thingys , one in every truck and on my desk . Any time my hand was empty I squeezed . After a while the cramps weren't noticeable .

Another thing is to eat a couple of bananas in the morning, the extra potassium seems to help.

Yep, At least 30 minutes before the start. Just did one at breakfast and then one later at gas. Helps ward off leg cramps late in the day as well. I would put a bannana and a sandwich or some almonds, with enough water to fill up camelback in a bag tied to my gas can. Most clubs have water and snacks available at gas, but not always. Its nice to have something.

Thought about these for the pit stops....

http://dirtbagdesigns.com/product/the-pitstop-enduro/

Thanks folks! I'll be trying these ideas. I start chugging Gatoraid and chewing those Bloks gummy things about an hour before lining up. It's helped but I still need to get some relief about an hour in.

Now that's pretty doggone clever. I really like to see stuff that's built by folks who use it.

pe4.jpg

I picked up a small enclosed trailer this weekend, will serve as bike transport & an Ocker camper. Either I'm committed or someone's going to get a great deal on used Enduro kit from my widow!

I picked up a small enclosed trailer this weekend, will serve as bike transport & an Ocker camper. Either I'm committed or someone's going to get a great deal on used Enduro kit from my widow!

I'm in line for the trailer! lol. Good to hear and good luck!

Congrats to all you guys making your first events. Just ride smooth and within yourself. You will meet some great folks and open up a whole new world full of fun! Good luck. :rider:

Folks, I need some advice. My right hand always wants to take a nap after about an hour of trying to go fast. That's a really bad thing on the 300 cause, well, if you're familiar with the beasts you know why. I have zero interest in breeding a tree. What am I doing wrong or what exercise, gadget or pharmaceutical should look into??? :giveup:

Have you been able to swing a leg over a 2017 KTM two stroke? It may not be a practical solution to change bikes, but I will say that they do not vibrate--it is uncanny. You wouldn't even need to ride one. Twist the throttle in neutral and it is a whole new ball game. The counter balanced KTM two strokes change the game for smoothness. Wait until 2018 and most likely they will be fuel injected as well. 2019 at the latest.

I made the switch to four stokes 16 years ago and am happy but the new counter balanced two strokes from KTM will make you think twice.

Back