• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HONDA XR650L OWNER'S SIGN IN

Hey FiddyK I see from your photos above you finally got JMZ off your rack.

P1011444.JPG

_

he's not well. he needs a job. [emoji15]

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

but your right 50. that is really funny. lol

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

I'm thinking of a 250 Rally or 650L. 250 seems under powered and over weight but looks like nice features. 650 is same as 90's, lol. is 650 decent performance stock? Ideas?

In my Humble Opinion, the XR650L is a dog when stock. My opinion is that one of the strengths of a 650L is that you can make it a beast for under $100.00. That was the deciding factor for me when i bought my 650L in October. You can mod to your satisfaction for a lot less than with other bikes only becuz it's been in production forever. Just my .02. For me it's all about the bang for your buck

In my Humble Opinion, the XR650L is a dog when stock. My opinion is that one of the strengths of a 650L is that you can make it a beast for under $100.00. That was the deciding factor for me when i bought my 650L in October. You can mod to your satisfaction for a lot less than with other bikes only becuz it's been in production forever. Just my .02. For me it's all about the bang for your buck

Listening! I figured it was a dog stock from experiences 25 years ago!

+1
50 lbs lighter and more power than even an uncorked XRL

or even better yet go for the new 2017 450RX and get fuel injection and slightly larger tank.

_

I've ridden the RX, not sure it'd be happy on street!

I test rode a 450R and frankly, it was above my riding skill level, which I thought I could probably improve over time, but the additional money plus the additional upkeep just for routine maint turned me away. My motto is now "Low Maint, that's the key!" LOL!

I've ridden the RX, not sure it'd be happy on street!

Doubt if it is much different than the X then unless you wanted it to be (twist).
Herein lies the dilemma of dual sporting. It's always a compromise you just have to decide where in the range you want your bike to be based on your needs, use and desires.

You've already owned a couple bikes that many claim to be the best dual sport but obviously not for you and where you need your dual sport to be "in the range" i.e. "plated dirt bike to KLR650"

_

Just get a crf450X and plate it, I have 3 of them and they have gone everywhere, only weakness seems to be the cylinder head valves, quick replacement with kibblewhite valves and that's the end of it. Mine have done several thousand miles each with no problems at all, they are great fun, lighter than the 650 and much quicker and more nimble off road. You wont regret the move!!

Gary

Hey, you've got my number! lol
I noticed that also and was actually wondering if it was a past bike of yours. You probably have more ex steeds out there than anybody I know. Not sure if I ever told you but my 300EXC came from your family. Was your son's bike way back.

_

I noticed that also and was actually wondering if it was a past bike of yours. You probably have more ex steeds out there than anybody I know. Not sure if I ever told you but my 300EXC came from your family. Was your son's bike way back.

_

Lol, not sure that is a compliment or embarrassment !!! That bike is NOT my linage, although a buddy ha one like it! Yes you told me! When are we riding at Cycleland??

Lol, not sure that is a compliment or embarrassment !!! That bike is NOT my linage, although a buddy ha one like it! Yes you told me! When are we riding at Cycleland??
Soon, I'm itching to ride dirt on the smoker. How has the weather been? I start rolling in 5 minutes heading home. Been out west.

_

86* yesterday! 90% chance of rain tomorrow. Texas winter you know.

Happy March everyone! So took the new XR BACK apart again last weekend, drilled out the welch plug, reshimmed the needle to .042, and I am no less than thrilled at the result. Now I have the whole uncorked daves mod package. It does have more giddy-up, but it's so smooth now compared to before. So much easier to balance a wheelie now than before that you can't imagine.

Also, not sure if anyone out there has issues transporting their bike, but I bought a Black Widow hitch hauler and I freakin LOVE it!!! Also, my son, 24, now has the dual sport bug so he now has a 2006 DRZ. Needs work, but it runs. Taking the XR back to Tennessee this weekend for a couple of weeks. Probably hit NATRA trails along with the Tennessee Dirt Devil in Leipers fork. Woohoo! fun fun!

I bet your bike is more fun to ride now. i`d like to come ride in Tennessee with you.

It definitely is much more fun with predictable power now.

I go back at least once per month, I typically haul my bike, only because I'm usually in a hurry to get there, but I go once per month. It's a 12 hour drive getting there, but once there, there's some sweet riding! youtube westpoint tn trails or just westpoint tn and you can ride just about anything you're comfortable on. may/June is typically the best weather. Tennessee is still full of dirt roads.

Just pick your time and load up! we typically stay 1-2 weeks, depending on how the days fall for end of month shipments where I work.

Back