• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SHNF WEST SIDE work day 2/18/17 Kelly's Pond 8am

Buelligan

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Faulk
YEP, another work day in the SHNF, but this time to get even closer to getting trails reopened. This one's an all out blitz to try and fix enough safety hazards to reopen some west side trails in the near future. We need you! Wouldn't it be great to get some west side trails back again????? Come out and give us a hand, we can get a whole lot done if we can get YOU to help. We will even feed you when you come in from work as long as you post you're coming to help. Bring your bike and loppers or machete to get to the work areas too. I know we have lots of TWT that loves to ride the SHNF, give back a little to get a lot of riding.

2/18/17 = 8 am = Kelly's Pond (west side)

Thanks Prhaussies, we need all the volunteers we can get to get these trails reopened.

I would like to come out and help. I have a DR650 street leagal bike but do I need a "off raod" sticker to get on the trails?
mcrider suggest on the TWT site looking for volunteers. We are trying organize a new group, Texas Adventure Riders Association - SE Texas and I thought this might be a good opprotunity to see if there is any intrest and to help clean up the trails in SHNF.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113040&page=4

Last edited:
TWT, this weekend we should complete all the work needed to open some west side trails in the SHNF as long as we get the volunteers we need to finish this off. We will have lunch at the end, so let us know you are coming to help.

:rider:Picked up my off road sticker today. I can't remember the last time I went woods riding. That means it has been waaay too long ago! RH

I got mine too! its been awhile for me as well so maybe we can keep each other upright and on the trails....lol!!!

Come by and say "HI" I'll be the old bald guy cooking.

All loaded up and ready to go! See you there at 8am!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for coming out, looks like it's going to be a good day

Just wanting to be sure this is still a go for tomorrow. We took a lot of rain here in Humble. Planning to make it out there if it is still on.

Well, good workday that paid dividends to all us dirt bike riders, SHNF opened all the west side trails except sting and balloon loops and also opened sandy and the rest of fern trail on the east side, which only left YCC trail closed there. Think we had about 60 volunteers out Saturday to make this finally happen. Special thanks to all the volunteers, Sam Houston Trails Coalition and our faithful volunteers at Old Dudes on Dirt Bikes. There were also some equestrians, hikers and Bicyclist working in the forest today, this was truly a all out effort by every element to get trails reopened and be able to enjoy what we love about being in the forest. No hassles, no politics, no arguments, no differences, just people getting along and working towards a common goal. It's too bad the whole world doesn't work this way.....

Dear SHTC Member:

A big THANK YOU to all volunteers that participated in the Feb 18 Volunteer Event and Potluck. There were over 50 people that came out from as far away as Beaumont to help and enjoy a great potluck lunch sponsored by Old Dudes on Dirt Bikes. The day was a HUGE success and everyone’s efforts contributed to the following significant achievements:

Westside MUT:
• Repairs and maintenance on multiple bridges
• Log removal on several Westside trails
• New roof on entrance kiosk at Kelly Pond
• Installing 6x6 posts on hiking trails at the 3 KP ponds
• Closure signage on various Westside trails and trail heads
• Lopping of brush and “face slappers” on Westside trails
• Repainting of the SHTC tool crib at SHNF rangers’ station
Eastside MUT:
• Erosion control on YCC trail
• Pavers and trail maintenance on Fern and Sandy trails
C-57 Cycling Trail:
• Hauling of 300+ pavers to installation points along the North and South loops
At the conclusion of the workday approval was given by District Ranger, Warren Oja, to open the Westside South MUT and the Fern and Sandy trails on the Eastside MUT. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

VOLUNTEERS: IF YOU DID NOT SIGN THE iPAD OR LAPTOP AT THE EVENT BE SURE TO LOG YOUR HOURS FOR FEB 18 AT THE LINK BELOW. SELECT THE GRANT FOR EAST/WEST MUT REHAB. WITHOUT THIS FINAL STEP YOUR TIME DOES NOT COUNT.
http://www.samhoustontrails.org/get-involved-2/volunteer-signature-form/

THE NEXT SHTC ALL-MEMBER VOLUNTEER EVENT IS SCHEDULED FOR APRIL 8TH. MARK YOUR CALENDAR AND LOOK FOR FUTURE COMMUNICATIONS. TOGETHER WE ACCOMPLISH GREAT THINGS!

And now it rains! Thanks to that helped! It'll dry out one day.

And now it rains! Thanks to that helped! It'll dry out one day.
Lol yes I had a laugh this morning 8am when I got a automated phone message advising me the trails were open. It had already rained over an inch in the last hour and coming down hard. I knew when the Ranger got in at 9am it would be closed already.

Been meaning to ask. The automated messages come from being a Trails Coalition member or from ODODB? I've received 2-3 messages prior to today also.

_

Never heard of the automated messages??

Just found out they come from the Trails Coalition. I had one message saved to my voice mail from back on the 10th. I listened to it again and at the very end it states who sent it. Good service. Now that the trails are closed again no need to call in daily and check status as I will be getting a automated phone call advising me once they are.

_

I get these also SilverBullet, this just started recently by the Texas Trails Coalition. I'm guessing all coalition members are getting it, but not sure.

Back