• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EastTex450 2011 reports

Reaction score
As I sit here typing, feeling my way through with a numb thumb and three fingers on the throttle hand, I'm thinking this minor irritation is a fair trade-off for the fun I had on Saturday!

Kudos to the fellow who originally mapped out this route as it was a wonderful mix of varying surfaces, views and geography.

The weather and road conditions were very good, though there were some dusty sections, overall the sandy spots were tight, the dust level was low, and a steady breeze often cleared the cloud for those following another.

From what I understand, the relatively small group (of masochists) I traveled with were the first to complete the route in a single day, and I couldn't have found a better bunch to spend a day in the wind with. I've heard rumors that this ride may be the first of more for the Dirty Butt qualifiers. (our own version of the Iron Butt, just dirtier) Though I didn't mention it to anyone, this was also serving as my bachelor party, and it was fabulous.

After getting a late start from Rusk at twenty till six in the morn we rode 445 miles, averaging over 40 mph moving, and over 30 as the overall average. RollingJ can provide the exact numbers.

In our travels we encountered many instances of Bambi, a Chihuahuacabra, a lunch Stump, one water crossing, and I think I heard banjos on several occasions.

My little dirt bike performed flawlessly, as did Meridan's, RollingJ's, and SilverBullets' which was crucial in keeping our average speed up and travel time down.

Some of the roads were the stuff back road dreams are made of, Nine Mile being the icing on the cake.

The KOA in Rusk is one of the nicest and cleanest I've ever used, the people were gracious and accommodating.

The Mexican food place was one of the best I've ever eaten at, I loved the Pollo Diablo and the free Margaritas with the meals we had there. (strictly for medicinal purposes, as it acts as a muscle relaxant doncha know) :eat:

Okay, that's the thread starter, let's hear from others on the trip.

MotoTex you summed it up pretty well so not a whole lot for me to add. Only don't forget that 70 mile pre-ride we did Friday late afternoon after arrival at the KOA.

Also your comment "a steady breeze often cleared the cloud for those following another" I will change often to seldom for the monster tire on back of your bike. Warning to others when a 95hp bike roosts dirt and rocks stay clear, haha

Bachelor party?... aahh man if only we knew. We would have turned that Mexican Restaurant into an after hours club and broke out the Patron on Saturday night.

Good ride, good people, good weather, good conditions all made for a great weekend.

_

Meriden also mentioned his appreciation for my testing his new light guard.

Sorry 'bout the occasional dirt shower guys. I guess I was having too much fun!

Looks like a better place for this thread would have been in the Dual Sport, After the Ride section. :doh:

If a moderator could slide it down there I'd appreciate it.

Thank to all the riders that came out to the East Texas ride from over the weekend, it was a great trip, even though I was a little jealous while driving the chase truck, but having dinner and standing around the camp sites with a great group of riders made up for it. Hope to see y'all at the next big east Texas ride. Thanks again for coming out

Back