• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need to Consider SPOT Device Alternative Before I Renew

copb8

Most Ignored
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Nale
SPOT is going up (again) on their annual subscription. It's now basically $200 + $15 'connection fee'. I really only need it 2 or 3, maybe 4, times a year.

The device has worked very well for the time I've had it but I don't want to keep throwing good money after bad if there's a better solution with more reasonable annual subscription. I feel I've got my money's worth out of my initial purchase.

I'm been reading about the Garmin InReach+ unit. Very nice but not inexpensive to buy and I can't find it's annual cost. I do like the two way texting which the SPOT lacks.

What else should I be looking at? Or do they all have basically the same annual costs?

I've paid the same annual amount for my Spot for 6 years, ~$100. Last 3 years they did a heavy price increase. One call kept me at the old price. I just repeat that call every year. Simple conversation, I tell the rep I'll renew at the old price or cancel at new price.

If you only need service for 3-4 months a year DeLorme will be cheaper for you on their monthly plan. But you will have to purchase a new unit so payback will not be quick.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I've paid the same annual amount for my Spot for 6 years, ~$100. Last 3 years they did a heavy price increase. One call kept me at the old price. I just repeat that call every year. Simple conversation, I tell the rep I'll renew at the old price or cancel at new price

This is good to know. If I don't find a compelling reason to upgrade I'll give this a shot. Thx

1a29a4c4a53265c921a914ecab380acd.jpg

Last edited:
tricepilot curious what those units cost and how much for annual service?

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

TP, those are the units I was considering.

Obviously tracking and SOS are my highest priorities but the 2-way texting is the biggest feature I'd want over the Spot Device. The navigation screen is way too small for my older eyes and I'd continue to rely on my Garmin 590LM for that functionality.

So considering that, would it be wise to buy an older/used/refurbished Delorme unit and turn on/off activation just for trips? Are these even available or is there a downside to this that I'm missing?

Without going back and reading the paperwork, I believe a month is the smallest amount of time you can buy. I decided to bite the bullet and just do the year subscription since I ride every month. My girlfriend appreciates that she can keep track of me and alleviate some of her worries. If I were younger that might not be a selling point, but at my age I don't go anywhere that I don't want her to know about. It does show your speed at dropped points, that has raised her eyebrow a time or two.

I picked this over the Spot for the two way communication capability....haven't needed it yet. Had it over a year and would buy it again.

I carry the garmin inreach explorer+. It was pricey upfront (just north of $400), but the two way comms is what I wanted since I am often riding alone in remote areas. There was an initial ~$30 activation and then my monthly charge is ~$30/month. My plan is to de-activate during the months I am not taking trips (usually the summer months). Not sure how that is really going to work out...

I after wrecking really badly on a solo trip through the NMBDR, my wife really wanted me to get one of these, and I settled on the Garmin inreach. We both really like the two-way texting feature, and it's nice that you can shut down the subscription for the months you are not rioting.

Question, looking at the Garmin inReach Freedom subscription plans it reads like you have to elect NOT to subscribe every month you don't want service. In other words, is it saying that if I want service in March and October I have to login every one of the other 10 months and elect not to subscribe for that month?

Anyone with experience know how this works for sure?

Question, looking at the Garmin inReach Freedom subscription plans it reads like you have to elect NOT to subscribe every month you don't want service. In other words, is it saying that if I want service in March and October I have to login every one of the other 10 months and elect not to subscribe for that month?

Anyone with experience know how this works for sure?

Nah, it's not like that. You just login and suspend the account, then reactivate when you need it. However, be aware that the Freedom plan also has a $24.95 annual usage fee, in addition to whatever monthly charges you incur.

From time to time, I take a trip of several days duration. For those events -- generally only once a year -- I rent a spot from an outfitter in Arizona. From what I've read, the Garmin is much more useful. My wife is already pushing me to plan a trip for this summer -- I'm hopeful I can rent this unit instead of the SPOT.

I hope this is everything you ever wanted to know about SPOT vs inReach

LINK

If not, I can't help you :trust:

Convincing for sure. The 2-way texting could be huge.

Can you comment on my question as to why I'd want the Garmin device over the original, much cheaper, inReach device if I'm not using navigation? I see in your write-up back then that you didn't think the navigation was useful due to other devices you owned.

is the inReach still available? That's what I have, but I assumed they went away when Garmin bought them.

is the inReach still available? That's what I have, but I assumed they went away when Garmin bought them.

Garmin wouldn't have bought them if they didn't see a gold mine in their acquisition

For the inReach you can go three ways to buy new:

The Explorer, which I DO NOT recommend @ $450

The SE, which I DO recommend, at $350

Or the "older but brand new in the box" modesl at $300 and $240, respectively

IF IT WERE ME SPENDING YOUR MONEY

Can you comment on my question as to why I'd want the Garmin device over the original, much cheaper, inReach device if I'm not using navigation? I see in your write-up back then that you didn't think the navigation was useful due to other devices you owned.

I'd get the latest SE version @ $350 as choice #1, or the older SE model at $240

Here is where you have to decide if the older, cheaper SE (but still brand new) is outpaced by newer chipsets for satellite tracking, better case design, better service from Garmin, yada yada yada. I have not researched the answer to these questions. But I know if I bought the $240 model, in a week I'd be wishing I spent the other $110 if for no other reason than I could have. Just being honest. Go Google the concept and see if you come up with valid reasons to support your choice. It's like why did I buy the iPhone X (upgrading from the 6) when the 8+ probably would have been as good or even better.

It's up to you to do due diligence and read about these things and come to your own conclusion

I would not, in this day and age, keep a SPOT device that lacks two-way comm capability from any point on the globe. Why? When you're in a pickle, you're in a pickle. At that point you're wishing you had the National Guard by your side. It's like the old adage - nobody in a crash wishes they were wearing less gear. Think about it.

Last edited:
Anyone, even with deep pockets, who thinks they want the Explorer model should contact me. I'll have you talked out of it in a New York minute. It's the navigation thing copb8 alluded to. The nav screen is so small on the Explorer as to be laughable and is redundant if you already have a straight mapping GPS on your bike. If you want a backup and/or you're a hiker on the Appalachian Trail, the Explorer might be a player.

Last edited:
Anyone, even with deep pockets, who thinks they want the Explorer model should contact me. I'll have you talked out of it in a New York minute. It's the navigation thing copb8 alluded to. The nav screen is so small on the Explorer as to be laughable and is redundant if you already have a straight mapping GPS on your bike. If you want a backup and/or you're a hiker on the Appalachian Trail, the Explorer might be a player.

Wish I had talked to you before getting the Explorer. I agree that it's not worth the extra $100 for the navigation I never use. The base Garmin Inreach model is a better buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garmin wouldn't have bought them if they didn't see a gold mine in their acquisition

For the inReach you can go three ways to buy new:

The Explorer, which I DO NOT recommend @ $450

The SE, which I DO recommend, at $350

Or the "older but brand new in the box" modesl at $300 and $240, respectively

IF IT WERE ME SPENDING YOUR MONEY

I'd get the latest SE version @ $350 as choice #1, or the older SE model at $240

Here is where you have to decide if the older, cheaper SE (but still brand new) is outpaced by newer chipsets for satellite tracking, better case design, better service from Garmin, yada yada yada. I have not researched the answer to these questions. But I know if I bought the $240 model, in a week I'd be wishing I spent the other $110 if for no other reason than I could have. Just being honest. Go Google the concept and see if you come up with valid reasons to support your choice. It's like why did I buy the iPhone X (upgrading from the 6) when the 8+ probably would have been as good or even better.

It's up to you to do due diligence and read about these things and come to your own conclusion

I would not, in this day and age, keep a SPOT device that lacks two-way comm capability from any point on the globe. Why? When you're in a pickle, you're in a pickle. At that point you're wishing you had the National Guard by your side. It's like the old adage - nobody in a crash wishes they were wearing less gear. Think about it.

You had me completed convinced unitl I read what phone you bought :doh:
but decided your other arguments overcame that. ;-)

Placed an order for a SE+ from Hodges Marine for $315 delivered no tax.

Seriously though, thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
...IF IT WERE ME SPENDING YOUR MONEY

I would not, in this day and age, keep a SPOT device that lacks two-way comm capability from any point on the globe. ..

Good thing because you would have me broke in 3 months. You've progressed up the 3 generations of Spot offerings and then jumped to Garmin. That's plenty of $$ in hardware and now the inreach is ~$300 a year for service. I bought a Spot 6 years ago for $75 and pay ~$95 a year for unlimited service. No two way texting but my main use is for tracking. On any given trip I have at least two people monitoring my movement. Looks like in 6 years time I've saved enough to buy that 300EXC in my garage.

If someone doesn't have the budget for an inreach a Spot is a good compromise over riding with nothing.

You had me completed convinced unitl I read what phone you bought..

Ditto back to the budget and needs comment above. $1,000 for a freaking cell phone is uncomprehensible to me. I use my electronics heavily but handle them carefully and they last and last. Currently with a 4 year old Galaxy Active that spends 2 weeks of every month out in the elements on my bikes handlebars.

Back