• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR bad vibes

Reaction score
Last year I bought a 08 KLR 650 and have put about 2,500 miles on it. The clock has over 8,000 total. Suddenly I’ve got heavy vibrations at +/- 3800 RPMs and above. The vibes are sorta independent of road speed; they occur while sitting still and revving the engine but are worse while riding. I did the doo about 200 miles ago and had just mounted a set of Avon Trailriders. Other than a Sargent seat it’s farkle free.

Today I took off the left engine cover and pulled the rotor. The doo is fine, the balance chain is tight, I torqued the engine mounts. After buttoning it up I did a quick 70 mph test ride and, while better, there’s still a lot of buzz.

I’m now at a loss. I can still run around town but wouldn’t want to actually run a couple of hours at highway speed. Looking for ideas or suggestions.

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
Something just occurred to me. When I took off the rotor I didn't have to use the rotor puller; I just pulled it out with my hands. Is that normal? The rotor bolt was certainly tight as I torqued it at 145 ft/lbs after doing the doo.

Tighten all motor mounts and all bolts. My bike had a bad vibe, it was loose motor mount. Won't hurt to check. Axel bolts too.

I did the motor mounts today and the bottom mount was out of spec. I just did the wheels because I put on new tires. But that's a very good thought. I did improve things apparently by tightening the bottom mount so I guess it's time for a full on torque party.

Thanks for the idea. I'll get on it tomorrow and see.

Do you have a skid plate? If so remove it and see if the vibration goes away. I just add rubber to one that was resonating and causing a vibration on deceleration.

I have a stock skid plate. Though that's a thought I haven't had this problem before and I also live on a gravel road. I'll look into that.

Thanks

Back