TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2018, 10:55 PM   #21
gixxerjasen

Re: Super Duke disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
I bought the bike about a month ago with 1,721 miles on it, it now has around 2,500 miles.
Geez, I would be throwing up. Ugh. Hope it all gets made right for you and you have miles and miles of smiles on it.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #22
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird710 View Post
Sorry to hear about the SD. Hope KTM does the replacement for you.

I changed the oil in my AT last week and got bit by the old oil filter gasket sticking to the engine. I have only changed the oil once before and, when I saw the black ring where the filter screwed on, I couldn't remember if it was there on the first change. I wiped it off fairly hard and it didn't move so I thought it was supposed to be there. Needless to say, once I got everything back together with the new oil in it and cranked it up, 4 of the 4.3 quarts ended up on the skid plate and the garage floor. After a lengthy cleanup session, removal of the old gasket, and 4 new quarts of oil, everything is back to normal. Glad I didn't try to ride it before checking things out. Good thing is my garage floor will never rust.
I did that in a minivan once and wife didn't catch it till too late. Got a pretty good knock, mechanic said to try some (can't remember for sure) Miracle 50??, anyway it worked till we got rid of it a few years later, very lucky.
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #23
Hotboot
Forum Supporter

Low mile bike, purchased from a dealer who did the maintenance for resale. Install the new engine asap and get this owner back on the road. Option 2 is to get another SD of the same mileage and year for him. Option 3 is a full refund and / or credit towards a new KTM.
I hope this goes the right way for you man, fun bikes.
2015 FJ-09 - traded
2016 R1200RS - boxerphilia sehr gut
Hotboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:42 AM   #24
jfink
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird710 View Post
Sorry to hear about the SD. Hope KTM does the replacement for you.

I changed the oil in my AT last week and got bit by the old oil filter gasket sticking to the engine. I have only changed the oil once before and, when I saw the black ring where the filter screwed on, I couldn't remember if it was there on the first change. I wiped it off fairly hard and it didn't move so I thought it was supposed to be there. Needless to say, once I got everything back together with the new oil in it and cranked it up, 4 of the 4.3 quarts ended up on the skid plate and the garage floor. After a lengthy cleanup session, removal of the old gasket, and 4 new quarts of oil, everything is back to normal. Glad I didn't try to ride it before checking things out. Good thing is my garage floor will never rust.
Sounds messy Jay. That's odd, based on my Honda experiences with the Wing, which I have not any trouble with oil changes. It's also an automotive type filter with a rubber ring. Messy oil problems are some of the worst. I save cardboard boxes from motorcycle parts I order and put them under the bike when I change my oil. I seldom manage to change oil without ruining the box. 4 quarts though would have run off the box.

Didn't you have an issue on your Harley on a ride once where it lost some oil as well after a side cover came loose? I actually had a little oil leak Sunday on the Wing on the way to Orlando. I noticed the left foot peg was wet, but much more slippery that water. The right peg was dry? Stopped and noticed there was oil on the shift lever and a little on my boot. When I checked the valves last week, I didn't get the cover back on precisely. There is enough slop in the installation that it can leave a little gap at the top. I loosened the valve cover bolts, moved the cover may be a quarter inch and all was well.

I checked the oil a couple times on the SD within the five or six hundred miles I rode it. There is a handy sight glass for checking, as well as, low oil pressure and low oil level sensors. There is also an oil temperature sensor and I noticed that the oil temperature was running about 190, which I wondered if that was right or a little high.

'04 Goldwing (ich bin eine Deutschlander) (US States and Canadian Provinces)
'11 KTM 990 Dakar (all 23 countries in South, Central and North America)
'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:36 AM   #25
Dahveed

Quote:
There is also an oil temperature sensor and I noticed that the oil temperature was running about 190, which I wondered if that was right or a little high.
190 sounds about right to me. The oil temp should be similar to the water temp in a water cooled engine. My water boxer's engine temp is 184 when running down the road. Fan kicks on at about 209. I assume "engine temp" is water temp, but I'm not really sure how BMW measures it to be honest.

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Dahveed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #26
SL350
Forum Supporter

I am sorry to hear that such a large investment has these kind of problems.

If it was started by the spark plug, could it be metal fatigue from someone setting the gap multiple times? I have never seen an engine blown over a plug but anything is possible. You might contact the plug manufacturer and see if there is an issue with this plug and force a recall. Again, I don't know it is the plug but it might save others.

Old Man Time

Mike
Honda CT90, SL350
SL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #27
jbird710

Quote:
Didn't you have an issue on your Harley on a ride once where it lost some oil as well after a side cover came loose? .
Not exactly, the primary cover (that had been put on with Loctite) fell off on old 90 near Deavers after a trip up to the Pickett House. It lost some primary oil as well; that's how I noticed it due to the smoke from it baking on the exhaust. Jim and Michelle went to the Harley shop in Beaumont, picked up a cover, bolts, and oil, and I replaced it on the side of the road. When I got home and after another extensive cleanup, I put Loctite on the new bolts. I've always said, the only bolts you need to Loctite on a Harley are the ones you want to keep on it. Turns out that probably should be the only bolts you hope to keep on it. We never found the original cover that day, but Jerry and Barb went back the next day and found it on the other side of the road. I told him that if it wanted off the bike that bad, he could keep it.

Don't you know about the Bird?

7 Hondas, a Harley, and a basket case Suzuki
"The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect"
jbird710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #28
aggie81

Would someone please state what MTC stands for?
aggie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #29
mitchntx
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie81 View Post
Would someone please state what MTC stands for?
https://blog.ktm.com/ktm-tech-video-...ction-control/
Old 03-17-2018, 08:05 AM   #30
jfink
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
Thanks for that link. While the MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control) doesn't have anything to do with my failure, it is apparently a general indication for ba lot of problems.

'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden
Old 03-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #31
aggie81

Thank you!

A couple of thoughts. What bent the spark plug? Clearly an impact, but with what? Whatever it was, it may have gone out the exhaust valve. Did they look in the exhaust system for any debris? The piston appears to be relatively intact, despite the damage, but the oil control ring looks incomplete.

The only other time I have seen cylinder scoring like that was due to loss of oil pressure. Very odd indeed. I understand your frustration completely. I rode the same bike last week. Quite a machine, but the seating position was just not quite what I was looking for. Hope you're back on the road soon.
aggie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #32
jfink
Forum Supporter

Well, the news is back from KTM. They don't have a "crate motor" per se, and they aren't going to give me a new bike, so ... Cycle Shack plans to rebuild the engine. They are getting a parts list together, will order and rebuild. I have had a chance to talk to and gain trust in the mechanic who is doing the work. He has several decades of experience rebuilding motors. I am a little concerned that we were not able to discern the problem that created this mess. So, now it's wait and see ...

'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden
Old 03-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #33
jredford

I would continue to press them for a new motor. I do not see a rebuild ending well given he amount of loose metal and the time it has circulated.

I have a 2016 SA and my warranty just ran out, I am slightly nervous to say the least.

1290 SA
Ninja 300 track bike

Last edited by jredford; 03-17-2018 at 09:16 PM.
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:39 PM   #34
jfink
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredford View Post
I would continue to press them for a new motor. I do not see a rebuild ending well given he amount of loose metal and the time it has circulated.

I have a 2016 SA and my warranty just ran out, I am slightly nervous to say the least.
I have pressed, but you know how dealing with a dealer can be sometimes. I do believe they have pressed it with KTM. He has mentioned several times, that he has passed my comments and desires along to KTM. At this point, I might get my way, if I pressed for a new engine, but then it will be sitting in the shop all summer waiting for said engine, while the warranty ticks away.

I do know of several people who don't keep their bikes beyond the warranty period, because of the reliability concern. I will have to wait and see how this turns out and how I feel about it to know where I will go.

I have said that I am sure there will be the normal break-in, after the rebuild, but after that I plan to give it a good thrashing.

'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden
Old 03-18-2018, 03:06 AM   #35
Dahveed

Quote:
I have pressed, but you know how dealing with a dealer can be sometimes. I do believe they have pressed it with KTM. He has mentioned several times, that he has passed my comments and desires along to KTM. At this point, I might get my way, if I pressed for a new engine, but then it will be sitting in the shop all summer waiting for said engine, while the warranty ticks away.

I do know of several people who don't keep their bikes beyond the warranty period, because of the reliability concern. I will have to wait and see how this turns out and how I feel about it to know where I will go.

I have said that I am sure there will be the normal break-in, after the rebuild, but after that I plan to give it a good thrashing.

Perhaps the extended warranty on this bike is looking like a good investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Dahveed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #36
jfink
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Perhaps the extended warranty on this bike is looking like a good investment.
Not a bad idea.

'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden
Old 03-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #37
Smoky14

IMHO having thirty+ years in the business, the piece of spark plug is the result of the problem not the cause. This looks like detonation either caused by pre-ignition or other causes. With computer controlled spark way too many things come into play to make long range trouble shooting possible.
The piston damage appears to be caused by explosion forces in the cylinder which could have blown the ground wire off the plug or physical contact with the piston, I'd need a closer look to make an educated guess.
A local rebuild should not be a problem IF you are dealing with a skilled mechanic. FINDING THE CAUSE will require someone with knowledge.

Wish I could be of more help.

Smoky
Old 03-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #38
LaserDave
Forum Supporter

decades away in technology, but the pictures remind me of my old iron head Sportster when it wrecked the pistons. turned out to be the stock ignition wasn't doing it's thing, and advancing/retarding spark properly. I also wondered if someone tried to tune the ECU.
2004 KTM SX450 (Orange Crush)
1996 SeaDooSPI (Funky Guppy)
past bikes WAAAAAAY too numerous to list.
LaserDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #39
Kidder

Quote:
Not a bad idea.
They (KTM or the dealer - both) should throw this in for free. You should try and negotiate this as part of good faith since the motor is rebuilt at such a low mileage.

-----------------------------
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:10 AM   #40
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Any update?
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!