• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What to do with old tires?

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
So I decided to change my own tires, and was successful :clap:,
but now I have the old tires and don't know what to do with them.

I don't want to just toss them in the trash (don't think they would take them anyway), and am guessing I will have to pay to have them disposed of?
Don't know of any other use for them (maybe see if my brother in law wants them to hang on his pier at the lake?).

So for those that change their own tires, what do you do with the old tires?
Looking for a free (and legal) option if possible.
I know that the Waller County Recycle Center near me will take them, but heard they charge per tire.

Last edited:
[ame="https://youtu.be/D3eHAu8E60Y"]Earthship Construction - YouTube[/ame]

You can do this above if you have enough or recycle them.

Take them to the local tire place they will charge you to recycle them or wait till your town has a clean up day where they will take them for free.

Tire swings are cool also.

Last edited:
The Kerrville WalMart takes them for a small charge. Totally worth it to ensure proper disposal. (I hope.)

Better yet save them for next Roll The Bones bon fire...:rider::rider::eek2:

Last edited:
I have taken the tires to Sam's Club.
No charge.
You can try a Walmart too.

Burn them at night. ������������

Or dump-em down a county road throw them over the side of a bridge in the creek :mrgreen: just kidding I hate that and would call the law if I ever saw someone doing it.
Seriously is it legal to cut them in small pieces and put in trash collection? Talking about small scale.

Honestly I would just take them to the nearest, cheapest place that would dispose of them . I do know some landowners that use them to fight erosion.

.... Seriously is it legal to cut them in small pieces and put in trash collection? Talking about small scale.
See https://www.tceq.texas.gov/tires/tires-disposal:

"Municipal Solid Waste Landfills

You may dispose of scrap tires in an active, permitted landfill if the tires have been split, quartered, or shredded. Contact the landfill to confirm if it accepts whole tires or tire pieces."

You need to ask your trash collection company - they may have more restrictive policies for a variety of reasons including permit terms or policies of the receiving landfill they use.

Last edited:
My WalMart won't but my local used tire shop takes them and charges me $3 per tire. I'm happy to pay it.

They make excellent fire starters for large piles of tree trunks and brush.

Or dump-em down a county road throw them over the side of a bridge in the creek :mrgreen: just kidding I hate that and would call the law if I ever saw someone doing it.
Seriously is it legal to cut them in small pieces and put in trash collection? Talking about small scale.

I was going to mention the same... sarcastically speaking. I always say those tires you see on the side of the road really have a high rate of reproduction. You will see one, then the next day 3,...5, ...8 and so on.

Discount tire does as well. I just haul mine to the nearest one and they do it for a small reasonable fee.

OK, thanks for all the info.

I have Waste Management for trash pickup, and their site says no tires.
I could probably get by with cutting them up into quarters or smaller and toss them in with regular trash a few pieces at a time, but that is a lot of effort and probably not legal either.

I found out the Waller County recycle place only charges $2 per tire, and I ride out that way on occasion, so I will just bring them out there.
I thought it was like $10 per tire or something like that, so $4 total is not bad at all.
I saved 20x that doing it myself, so not a big deal.

And I know everyone was joking about tossing them on the side of the road, and agree that somehow the tires multiply once just one is tossed.

I know a company that bought property that had a motocross track on it . When they went to flatten it out there were tires under all the jumps :eek2:

Well, I finally got around to dropping them off at the Waller County recycle center.
$4 and they are legally and properly disposed of.

I had checked a few other places, some would not take them at all and others wanted $5-8/tire to take them since I did not buy or have the tires done there.

I am sure I looked a little odd with 2 tires strapped to the back of my bike with some bungee cords.

The City of Dallas takes them at the waste transfer station that's a few miles from my home. They have a dedicated dump box for the old tires.

Make friends with whomever does your car/truck tires and take them there. Where I get all my car/truck/trailer/other trailer tires, they know me and every so often I have a few tires in the bed of the truck that they don't mind taking off my hands for free.

Back