• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Good news from Honda - CRF450L merged

Thanks for posting that, I'm glad to see that info. I'm still a bit surprised on the service intervals, but I think from their comments in the article that Trail Bosses and Tourmiesters philosophy on the KTM 500's service intervals would fit here too.

I'm 6 months to 2 years out from replacing the DRZ, I'm eager to see how this space develops.

I agree that the Honda will probably be just fine with extended service intervals. If I had a CRF450L I would likely change the oil every 1000 miles or so.

In all the years I've been riding I haven't been on many dirt oriented trips that have been even 1000 miles in length. I can only think of one that was longer than that. Heck, most of my pavement trips are less than 1000 miles but I likely wouldn't choose the CRF450L for a pavement only trip anyway.

Oil change intervals of 600 miles and valve checks of 1,800 make this bike less than suitable for long distance dual-sport adventure, in my opinion. It can be done but it is not very convenient.

At 40+ HP this bike will sell. I've ridden my DRZ back from Colorado and from Arkansas. Both times I have exceeded 600 miles in one day, so I'll have to stick with Suzuki just because I don't want to change oil while on vacation.

You know what I did to my old 450x? A big tank, a big alternator, led lights, and a three ring piston. It was the perfect bike for the way I rode, and I rode it all day long numerous times.

The aftermarket will have a decent-sized tank soon enough, and when you throw in 6 speed and FI... I'm as good as sold.

Back