• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cycle Gear tire changes

Necro post I know, but I had an experience with Cycle Gear yesterday regarding tire changes that fits this thread. About a year ago, maybe a little more, I purchased a new tire from them and them install it on my XT250. Yesterday, I went to that same location to have the same tire moved to a new rim I purchased for the bike. They refused to do it citing company policy regarding mounting used tires. They sent me to an indie that is actually a little closer to my house, who mounted it $10 cheaper than Cycle Gear charges. I had been buying my tires from them because it was just more convenient, and they charge less to mount their tires versus a tire purchased elsewhere.
To politely put it, I was not enthusiastic about the wasted trip there at 4pm with Friday afternoon traffic, only to be turned away. The Indie did the change out in about 15 minutes while I waited. Cycle Gear lost my tire business over this policy. I just ordered a rear tire for the same bike, and it is not coming from CG. I save a trivial amount (~$4.00) over CG by ordering it from Amazon, and I’ll have that same Indie install it for $25 instead of the $35 CG was charging.

I've found Cycle Gear to be a good place for tire purchase and mounting as they have a good road hazard warranty available. That said the last time I was there they were unable to mount tires on my GS's spoked wheels as they didn't have the correct attachment for the machine. I had to buy the tires at the dealership, the dealer didn't have the road hazard warranty (which I always buy at CG), and of course I nailed the new tire within 50 miles of brand new. Rinse, repeat, ouch.

I sure hope Cycle Gear gets that attachment in the next few months as baby is gonna need new shoes pretty soon.

Do you take the tire in or the whole bike? If you can pull the wheel it's worth learning how to use a set of spoons.
It harder to get the bike lifted and remove the wheel than to change the tire. I use the base of a harbor freight changer someone gave me for the bead breaker. Before that, I used the kickstand of another motorcycle to break the bead. Still using the same levers I have carried on the bike for 20 years.

It harder to get the bike lifted and remove the wheel than to change the tire.
Not for all of us. I can do it and do most of the time, because of distance to dealer. But it's ALWAYS a fight and not enjoyable. And I have decent setup tools and tire stand , just not my cup of tea.

I hear you. At my home shop I have a bunch of options for tire removal, and sometimes I still have to get creative.

Swingarm and fork/steering stem stands for bikes with fairings
Two different dirt bike lift stands
Hydraulic cruiser jack
Low scissor jack
Kendon Stand-up cruiser lift
Curse words

Probably doesn't help I don't do that many, thankfully. So lose some procedure memory. And now honestly not strong enough.

A client has two groms and is bringing me all the wheels this week.

Let's see how I feel after installing those little buggers.

I might just roll over to Cycle Gear...

Yep. I figure by the 4th one I'll have the technique mastered.

I'm pretty darn efficient with the spoons. I like de-mounting with a mojolever, but I haven't gotten good at mounting with it yet.

If I come up with any tricks I'll be sure to share.

Last edited:
If someone wants to bring a tubeless tire over to my place that needs changing and wants to hold a phone and record it, I will gladly walk through what I do with my little Harbor Freight changer. At this point I'm at hundreds of tires changes on that thing and with bikes like my Tenere, I can put the bike up on stands, pull the wheels, mount/balance new tires, and have the bike back together and off the lift in about an hour and ten minutes. The changing the tire part is the easiest part of the entire thing.

Now small wheels... those are a whoopin...

Necro post I know, but I had an experience with Cycle Gear yesterday regarding tire changes that fits this thread. About a year ago, maybe a little more, I purchased a new tire from them and them install it on my XT250. Yesterday, I went to that same location to have the same tire moved to a new rim I purchased for the bike. They refused to do it citing company policy regarding mounting used tires. They sent me to an indie that is actually a little closer to my house, who mounted it $10 cheaper than Cycle Gear charges. I had been buying my tires from them because it was just more convenient, and they charge less to mount their tires versus a tire purchased elsewhere.
To politely put it, I was not enthusiastic about the wasted trip there at 4pm with Friday afternoon traffic, only to be turned away. The Indie did the change out in about 15 minutes while I waited. Cycle Gear lost my tire business over this policy. I just ordered a rear tire for the same bike, and it is not coming from CG. I save a trivial amount (~$4.00) over CG by ordering it from Amazon, and I’ll have that same Indie install it for $25 instead of the $35 CG was charging.
I understand your frustration but I'll bet it should be directed at lawyers. Cos are under intense legal threat these days. And now you have a better option also! :thumb:

If someone wants to bring a tubeless tire over to my place that needs changing and wants to hold a phone and record it, I will gladly walk through what I do with my little Harbor Freight changer. At this point I'm at hundreds of tires changes on that thing and with bikes like my Tenere, I can put the bike up on stands, pull the wheels, mount/balance new tires, and have the bike back together and off the lift in about an hour and ten minutes. The changing the tire part is the easiest part of the entire thing.

Now small wheels... those are a whoopin...
Look forward to it!

They won’t mount small tires. Tried to have new tires mounted for my PCX. They replied the 14” wheels are too small for their equipment to handle

After swapping tires on my son's CRF50F I was glad when he outgrew it and I could sell it knowing I'd never have to change them again. New owner probably didn't fully appreciate getting a bike with almost brand new tires on it. ;)

If you buy tires in Texas you will pay a 3 dollar disposal fee , I'm still looking for the state disposal site to give them my tires , I really don't like having to dump them on the state highways .
the roadside trash cans are not wide enough to fit them in, and most of the good highway dump off points are already covered with tires. So who has the solution? I just wrap mine now in black plastic garbage bags and put them in my garbage can, one a week as needed. No complaints yet...

How did it go?

His shipping was delayed. The tire should have arrived yesterday. I hope to get them today.

I found my 10" ring for my changing stand, so that's a plus.

If you buy tires in Texas you will pay a 3 dollar disposal fee , I'm still looking for the state disposal site to give them my tires , I really don't like having to dump them on the state highways .
That, of course, would be highly illegal as well as irresponsible rider behavior. A better solution would be to find a neighbor that nobody likes, & toss them over his fence. :bigokay:

That, of course, would be highly illegal as well as irresponsible rider behavior. A better solution would be to find a neighbor that nobody likes, & toss them over his fence. :bigokay:

I wind up chunking motorcycle tires on these annual "Spring clean-up" days where the city will take all kinds of waste. Used motorcycle batteries, motor oil, bad gas, paint remnants, etc; all of that goes every year like this.

Back