• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mexico/Guatemala/Belize FEB/MAR 2017

1 off of CA1 for Panajachel is the road I spoke of, but 14 off of CA1 is your choice for the less touristy towns direct. You can access all lake points by hired boat from Panajachel.

DO NOT transit 14 around the bottom of the lake, below Volcán San Pedro. Confirmed reports of bandit activity even though no reports very recently.

Panajachel is photo lower left on Lago Atitlán. I took this photo on Hwy 1 off of CA1 decending into Panajachel:

i-xSjqJ7n-L.jpg

Route that me, Skizzman and Bob Crooks (now deceased) took from San Cristóbal to Lago Atitlán:

i-fhwRbbj-L.jpg

Atitlán lake taxis are everywhere:

i-Gw8pBL2-L.jpg

i-njPQQGn-L.jpg

Three GS Adventures in the stable in Panajachel:

i-dKZLJjz-L.jpg

Directly in the foreground, center photo, is Volcán Tolimán, behind it is Volcán de Atitlán. To the right is Volcán San Pedro (not the eroding cone on the lake, the volcano in the distance at the far right edge of the photo). The view in the photo is looking south. You do not want to ride 14 around these volcanoes without security, which can be arranged with the various police agencies dotting the lake. I personally do not, and have not heard from others, of any other security concerns in Guatemala. Subcomm on this forum lived in Antigua not too long ago and is another source of information on this forum. Subcomm and I took our bikes to Mahahual in Mexico and went scuba diving. But that's another tale.

i-MXP2Q5w-L.jpg

In addition to my own visit, I partially sponsored Bonzai Becky and Andrea on their Motoventuring tour. They have a ride report on ADV and also about 100 videos on YouTube. They stayed at San Pedro La Laguna and visited Antigua; here is one of their videos:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMhnc4ddUN0"]Motoventuring Ep 35 - Lake Atitlan and Antigua Guatemala - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. I was looking at the S. Route around the lago. Good to know about that area.
Neat picture. Route 1 looks like a good elevation change as you come down to the lake.
Appreciate the info.

No problemo Doug

Tip: riders transiting Guatemala City from the west (from Antigua) to head to Tikal are advised to use the "Taxi Trick"

On the outskirts of the city you will see a taxi stand with at least 20 taxis waiting. You'll want to negotiate a guide taxi to lead you through the city to the other end. I think I paid 75Q which today is about 10 bucks.

If you attempt this on your own and get lost in Guate City, you are not doomed but you will feel like it :sun:

I have been looking for one of those, but not a Lithium Ion. After our experience with the 950 battery catching fire, I've been leery of Lithium Ion batteries. Have you seen any non Lithium Ion units?

I have not, doubt if one is made as they would be too large. That kind of kills the attractiveness of these. Maybe just search for smallest case size AGM and mount it to bike. Add a SAE pigtail and use a USB adaptor to charge devices. When you need to charge it attach to main battery via SAE cable.

Battery Tender USB Charger - RevZilla https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/battery-tender-usb-charger

Attachments

• battery_tender_usb_charger.jpg
    battery_tender_usb_charger.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 177
If you attempt this on your own and get lost in Guate City, you are not doomed but you will feel like it :sun:
Agreed, Guate City is quite the cluster. I had to recruit a local motorcyclist to help me get through it.

What do you all currently thinking/recommendation as far as moto insurance?

Mexadventure?

I read the guide, but not sure if time has changed the recommendation...

Should one up their liability amount to 300k to cover each state?

...Should one up their liability amount to 300k to cover each state?

I thought 300K is the new minimum requirement by law. Doubt if you could even buy a policy with less.

As far as what to buy after minimum liability coverage it's a personal decision. What's right or best for one person might not be right or best for you or me. Research and make your decision. 3rd party opinions will turn into an oil debate.

_

I thought 300K is the new minimum requirement by law. Doubt if you could even buy a policy with less.

As far as what to buy after minimum liability coverage it's a personal decision. What's right or best for one person might not be right or best for you or me. Research and make your decision. 3rd party opinions will turn into an oil debate.

_

Yeah, I get that. The site has a drop down box and defaulted to 100k, hence the question.

Plus it’s not something they taught us in school...was just interested in recommendations/experiences with companies, and if the 300k was still the minimum.

I imagine I’ll go up a bit like most, doesn’t make a huge dent in the policy cost.

Thanks for the insight for sure! it’s true...that could open up quite a debate.

let me rephrase:

What company, by experience, would one recommend for MX moto insurance?

Last edited:
Takin notes over here.....
I've used Mexadventure in the past. I am not familiar with crossing over into the other two countries.

What company, by experience, would one recommend for MX moto insurance?

Read my "Insurance for Mexico" opinion that's part of this post

I've included a liability limit chart - but know the USD equivalents have changed due to the exchange rate.

Coahuila and the entire Yucatán have the highest liability limits in Mexico, far in excess of 300K USD. Be forewarned.

I stick with Mexadventure mostly because I have come to know the staff there over the years, having posed questions to them on behalf of riders who are searching for information on how best to get and stay protected.

Baja Bound is another example of a reputable company, and there are a few more I would recommend.

If you want detailed, down and dirty detailed information on Mexico insurance, I'm a phone call away :sun:

Of course, you're in San Antonio, so you can just as easily come over to Casa Tricepilot for questions and mapping ideas. Just a suggestion. :sun:

I've used Mexadventure, Ace Seguros, and HDI in the past. Last Summer, I had to file a claim with Ace Seguros due to an accident in Coahuila, and although not perfect, my experience with them was good enough that I would buy another policy from them in the future.

I've used Mexadventure, Ace Seguros, and HDI in the past.

Mexadventure is a policy broker only, as is Baja Bound

ACE and HDI Seguros are the actual insurance underwriters for policies sold through brokers

A good broker can make or break a situation when things literally go south and you're in a jam. They also handle the host of additional benefits found in the small print. The actual insurance underwriter is indifferent at best, and a at worst, inclined not to pay out.

Good point. I never did have any significant communications with the brokers themselves, and in the case of Ace Seguros did deal with them directly, which was hit or miss, but ultimately did work out to my satisfaction.

My favorite Mexico insurance stories to tell are stories that having nothing to do with a motorcycle that is stolen, or a motorcycle that is involved in an accident.

The best stories involve turning the key on a bike somewhere in Chiapas or Nayarit, and the bike refuses to start.

Few people realize that Mexico insurance sold through Baja Bound or Mexadventure is just waiting to save the day in those situations. It's one of the biggest reasons I tell people to not skip on Mexico insurance (even though it's legally required anyway).

Of course, you're in San Antonio, so you can just as easily come over to Casa Tricepilot for questions and mapping ideas. Just a suggestion. :sun:

Man, that sounds great! Let's get together, lunch, cervezas, Lo que sea por su tiempo y invaluable info...I'll PM you in a bit when I'm back near a computer...

I've used Mexadventure, Ace Seguros, and HDI in the past. Last Summer, I had to file a claim with Ace Seguros due to an accident in Coahuila, and although not perfect, my experience with them was good enough that I would buy another policy from them in the future.

Wealth of info... reading your ride report... impressed to say the least...

Wealth of info... reading your ride report... impressed to say the least...
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! My biggest recommendation is to give yourself enough time. My trip to Guatemala was exactly five weeks, and I could have easily used another two weeks to keep myself from being in a constant state of exhaustion. :giveup:

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! My biggest recommendation is to give yourself enough time. My trip to Guatemala was exactly five weeks, and I could have easily used another two weeks to keep myself from being in a constant state of exhaustion. :giveup:

yeah, looking at the mileage realistically, and from what's been said...it definitely appears that way...

Re: November Mexico trip anyone?

Any chance of joining? looks like two so far...maybe a third for part...

Still have a full month to plan...
wow kojote n doug fyi if pancho joins u on this trip, u got urselves a veteran moto adv exguide that is a legend amongst da border riders, me n danny met n rode with him last nov for a sunday mornin bfast, he should b a great asset to ur ride n boy does he have alot stories to tell...

Re: November Mexico trip anyone?

wow kojote n doug fyi if pancho joins u on this trip, u got urselves a veteran moto adv exguide that is a legend amongst da border riders, me n danny met n rode with him last nov for a sunday mornin bfast, he should b a great asset to ur ride n boy does he have alot stories to tell...

I bet, definitely a wealth of knowledge and experience on this site...though asking is probably more wishful thinking than anything else...

he chimed in on the original message back in November.

i-vHtgpjW-L.jpg

I took that photograph of Pancho at La Bufa, on the original road to Batopilas, way before it got paved.

Substitute actual horses for iron horses, and put a six shooter on his hip, and you have a Wild West movie.

Back