• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Helmet questions

anyone else "cranially endowed" and have a helmet recommendation?

i presently have a Gmax helmet, it was the only helmet that fit, at 3xl. but its plain torture on my forehead after about an hour. i cant find anything else that fits though.

I'm a 7 7/8 in a hat and wear the 2XL Scorpion EXO-700. HOWEVER, I did have to do some slight shaving (about a 1/4" deep, 2" x 4") of the foam in the upper forehead area to eliminate the 2 hr+ pressure point.

I wanted a flip-up and bought the Shoei Multitec. I didn't want to spend $465 but it was the best fitting, most comfortable helmet I could find. I tried HJC, Scorpion, Arai but kept coming back to the Shoei. 2.5 yrs later it still fits and I can wear it all day.
The flip-up is a bonus when sitting at a traffic light.

Very good information on helmets. Buy a good helmet but by all means make sure it fits you. I have a XL Shoei RF1000 that is essentially a paperweight. It's a great helmet but just too large. I now wear a Large Arai Vector. Both great helmets but correct size makes all the differance in the world.

Very good information on helmets. Buy a good helmet but by all means make sure it fits you. I have a XL Shoei RF1000 that is essentially a paperweight. It's a great helmet but just too large. I now wear a Large Arai Vector. Both great helmets but correct size makes all the differance in the world.

Can't you get the LARGE pad for the Shoei and just switch them out?

Last edited:
Can't you get the LARGE pad for the Shoei and just them out?

Nope. The RF1000 has a fixed upper. It is not interchangable to other sizes. The cheekpads are removable/washable/interchangable, but the upper is permanent.

More often than not, when someone tells me they have an ill-fitting helmet, it has as much to do with the shape of the interior crown as the general size. Maybe they should be a L, but went to an XL to get enough forehead room, only to have a lot of slop after some forehead break-in. Because the forehead is the only area making solid contact, it then wobbles around like an egg in a cup - tighter in one direction/looser in the other.

I wear a Schuberth only because it fits my square head. Tried one on and it fit like a glove. Have not worn the others since.

Wow. Here we are, almost a year later and I am so glad I did a search on helmet reviews! I am in the market for a new helmet and will need to buy one by the end of the month. I have spent countless hours on the internet searching reviews and this, by far, was the best. Nathan, you rock.

Now, here is my delemma. I am going to have to order my helmet online. My hat size is a 7...BUT, I have a "long" head, or so I'm told. The choices of different brands in El Paso are few so I really don't have a lot to compare to. Saturday, I spent the day just trying on the different brands available here, just to get an idea of fit.

I tried on the Scorpian 400, 700 and 1000. The small 700 and 1000 series fit and I had to go to a medium for the 400 but they really didn't feel that comfy (well, at first try). I also tried on the Shoe RF1000 and the small fit ok...but felt a bit short where the medium fit better length wise but was way to big around.

I tried on the Icon's and they fit just like my old mainframe did. Size small fit the best..nothing new with this brand but I just don't feel safe in it as I had a few small incidents and I noticed some "movement" in the styrafoam shell.

I also tried on the HJC's and the IS16 was really uber comfy on my little skull. But, I am not sure I like the "auto visor" thing. One more moving part in the helmet makes me a bit nervous....

The helmet I am attracted to is the Arai profile flag helmet. Ok, well I like the british flag on it since I ride a Triumph, but more than the graphics, I have heard many good things about it. Unfortunately, There isn't one in El Paso for me to try on...and I hate messing with mail order retuns..

So I guess, when it comes to size and fit (not quality) how does the Arai Profile compare to the Icon Mainframe and HJC IS16? I don't have a person who cares enough about the correct fit to spend the time going from helmet to hemet and lining to lining.

Why don't you tell Nathan what you want and let him send you one. He can do that and he is a wealth of information. They ship stuff out all the time.

If you order from new enough and get the wrong size they make it pretty painless to do an exchange. I personally like the Scorpion exo-700 and think you can't go wrong with it. But that's just my opinion.

If you order from new enough and get the wrong size they make it pretty painless to do an exchange. I personally like the Scorpion exo-700 and think you can't go wrong with it. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks Wes. I tried on an EXO-700 at team yukko this past Saturday..in fact I tried on every model they had (which I think really infuriated the kid that was helping me). When I asked him what the difference was between the different kinds he said "They are all the same, they work the same, it's just what graphics you like!". :doh:

Out of everything I tried on, it is a tossup between the HJC IS16 and the Scorpian EXO-1000 or 700. Considering I also have to get a jacket, that is going to weigh in my helmet decision. I just wish we had more of a in store selection for me to try on so I could really make a good, educated decision.

It would probably be easier if I didn't have such a weird shaped head covered by a mop of hair....

One thing I learned on jackets, I tried a hi-vis Scorpion jacket and it stayed constantly dirty and ratty looking. The light colored textiles are so hard to maintain. I'm back to a dark colored tourmaster jacket. But I did really like the quality and fit of the Scorpion jacket. Their pants run really long and small though.

One thing I learned on jackets, I tried a hi-vis Scorpion jacket and it stayed constantly dirty and ratty looking. The light colored textiles are so hard to maintain. I'm back to a dark colored tourmaster jacket. But I did really like the quality and fit of the Scorpion jacket. Their pants run really long and small though.

Is your tourmaster a mesh jacket? What type of armour does it have in it? How does it breathe in the El Paso summer heat?

My new jacket is the Rincon Textile 3/4 length. It's great in the winter but I haven't used it in the heat. Is does have vents though. I have always used a textile with vents over a mesh so I'm not much help on mesh jackets. Sorry. My wife has one she likes. It's a Power trip mesh with flames.

2008_Power_Trip_Womens_Stiletto_Jacket_White_Leopard.jpg

What's better, quality and safety wise? Mesh or Textile? Poor Nathan, I have already pm'd him with all these questions. HE's gonna think I am crazy!! But, it gets so hot here in July and August..and even last June was pretty bad. I have been eyeing the powertrip jackets for quite some time. I had a TT a few years ago that I really liked, but it was way to big for me...I also wasn't to pleased with the foam padding in it....So, with a budget of $450, I need to get a good quality summer jacket, good helmet and better gloves...is it possible? I'm sure it is...

I rode from albuquerque to El Paso in the middle of July last year and I was the hottest I have ever been. It's the only time I would have traded for a mesh jacket. I was wearing the Scorpion Hi-vis. Textile will always be safer but you have to balance safety and comfort or you won't wear it.

As far as well made, I think tourmaster is right up there with olympia but with better looks.

As far as fashion my wife likes the Icon gear the best. it's just what you like the best. My wife has a textile Joe rocket that has held up really well and it's a few years old. My joe rockets didn't hold up so well. Also check Scorpion, they have some neat womens wear.

http://shopping.scorpionusa.com/F4BD78EED51D4762989F1184B1165B96.asp?cat_id=FBF05AC4DB8843C1B0FF76893F5540D5&pc_key=B87C029112F54899916DCA58FBC2395F&retpage=%2FF4BD78EED51D4762989F1184B1165B96.asp&nm=Women%27s%20Collection&spath=Home%20%3E%20Equipment%20%3E%20Women%27s%20Collection&path=Home%20%3E%20Equipment%20%3E%20Women%27s%20Collection&sc_id=04351AC5FCFC4BF3B6D56358E377DCA9&ie_key=A29FE63366B141958413959DD0873EF5

Here is a mesh Scorpion:

http://shopping.scorpionusa.com/C55D9C025BA44D11A3713BF0D546303C.asp?cat_id=FBF05AC4DB8843C1B0FF76893F5540D5&pcs_key=7CA27CBD3C0F4B89B81B74DBB3600CFC&retpage=%2FF4BD78EED51D4762989F1184B1165B96%2Easp&nm=Jewel+Jacket&spath=Home+%3E+Equipment+%3E+Women%27s+Collection&path=Home+%3E+Equipment+%3E+Women%27s+Collection&sc_id=04351AC5FCFC4BF3B6D56358E377DCA9

Why I wear an Arai XD3. Reason number one, at $450 it wasn't cheap, but it it did fit my long oval head better than any other brand. It has a plusher lining, better ventilation than cheaper brands and the jaw pads come in different thicknesses to tailor the fit. The liner is completely removable washable extending the life of the helmet several times over those that do not. I could have survived with a helmet half the price of the Arai, but the overall fit, feel and function and was worth the extra money to me. little to no wind noise "priceless"

Is your tourmaster a mesh jacket? What type of armour does it have in it? How does it breathe in the El Paso summer heat?

I have a tourmaster "intake" and I love it it has 2 liners, quilted and rain and it has armour they have made a new style that runs aroun 169 but if you can find an old one they are around 100, Hope this helps

Thanks On Off. I looked at the Arai and really liked them, but unfortunately, the one that fits my long head is $500+ dollars and my budget is $600..but that has to buy a lid for me, my husband and a summer jacket for me.

I called Nathan up this morning and bless his heart, he spent a good 30 to 45 mintues on the phone with me giving me some good advice. I am definately going to buy from him next week, when the tax return comes in. After a lengthy discussion about fit, quality, durability and comfort, we decided on the Alliance SSR for me and the HJC FS-15 for my hubby. HE could have easily talked about the Arai Profile (which is what I was drooling over) but it never would have fit my head comfortably. That's what was so impressive. It was all about what would fit my head frist, not about pricetag...pricing came in towards the end.

As for summer jacket, I think I decided on the Olympia Bonneville (afterall, it has Bonneville in the name so it has to be cool! ... just kidding). Second choice is the Shift Catalina and Third is the Scorpian NipTuck.

So, it all sounds good right now, on paper, but the proof will be in the pudding when it all gets here.

Thank you all for your comments in this article, even if there were almost a year ago...It just goes to show you that some threads deserve to be kept alive...you never know when someone else will need to learn something!

I tried on the Scorpian 400, 700 and 1000. The small 700 and 1000 series fit and I had to go to a medium for the 400 but they really didn't feel that comfy (well, at first try). I also tried on the Shoe RF1000 and the small fit ok...but felt a bit short where the medium fit better length wise but was way to big around.

Scorpions were my first helmets ... I had both 400 and 700. There is a noticible difference between the 2 ... the 700 is lighter and doesn't have the same lift problem that I had with the 400. I felt like I had to fight to keep my head attached to my neck from the lift on the 400. However, I found that, after a time, the Scorpion 700 didn't fit as comfortably as I would like.

The helmet I am attracted to is the Arai profile flag helmet. Ok, well I like the british flag on it since I ride a Triumph, but more than the graphics, I have heard many good things about it. Unfortunately, There isn't one in El Paso for me to try on...and I hate messing with mail order retuns..

I can't say how the Icon and HJC compare with the Arai. But ... to continue the saga that I started above ... since that Scorpion didn't fit as well as I would have liked, I decided that I should get a different helmet. So I went off to Motorcycles Unlimited here in Houston (sorry Nathan) with my heart set on a Shoei. (I had read a lot of reviews online and decided that's what I wanted.) Patrick had me sit down and then his wife (I can't remember her name right now) measured my head ... around, side to side, front to back. It turned out that, apparently, I had a "long oval" head and that's why the Scorpions didn't fit as well as I felt they should. While they would have sold me a Shoei if I really wanted it, they strongly recommended that I look at the Arai Profile. It was, without question, the best helmet purchase that I think I could have made. I only had that particular helmet for about 1 1/2 year (dropped it one too many times) but it was comfortable and snug, fit great, didn't 'lift' my head and was pretty light as well. So, when I had to retire that helmet from dropping it, I got myself another Arai Profile. I really, really, really like that helmet.
I know that I can't go into the details that Nathan does ... but, if you have the head shape that I have, then the Profile might be a good choice for you. And Arai is, AFAIK, the only helmet manufacturer that goes into detail with the helmet shapes. You can get more info on that here: http://software.mogistic.com/araipub/default.aspx?pageid=132. There's also a video on how to fit a helmet.

Back