• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Installing a fuel gauge on a KLR?

R

Red Brown

Yo Adrian,

Any way of installing a fuel gauge on a KLR? I don't want to guestimate every time how much is left...a quick scan would be great.

Redo

Two 90 degree fittings and a section of clear tubing would be functional. :-P

:tab Do you really ever run it out to the edge of your range? I usually hit reserve at about 180 or so depending on the riding I am doing. However, my bike is jetted pretty rich compared to a stock KLR. A fuel level guage is not really going to be very accurate because of the irregular geometry of the tank. Maybe a digital flow meter with the read out on the dash to indicate the amount consumed? That would be pretty cool from a geek perspective!

I have had several bikes with fuel guages but never a fuel guage that I would depend on to tell me honestly how much gas I had left.

Now, a bike without a trip meter would concern me, but a fuel guage just isn't that useful to me.

-

90% of the time I hit my reserve at 210 miles(depending on how hard I am flogging it). One day I decided to keep riding until my reserve was done, I was just curious to see exactly how far I could go until I was completely out of gas. Well I went 278 miles and ran out 300 yards from a gas station, I leaned the bike all the way to the right for the special reserve and made it to the gas station. So 278 miles on the stock KLR tank is just a good thing to know, so you have now worries about running out.:rider:

Back