• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire question for the new Africa Twin

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
Gang, my new toy is going to need some new tires soon and I am running into a problem. It appears many of the tires I would like to try are only available as tubeless tires in the sizes I need.

Front is 90/90-R21
Rear is 150/70-R18

One of the tires I am pondering is the Pirelli MT90AT. They have a tube type front, but not a rear. Should I go to a different size, or find something else...

Thanks, Mike

I've heard Triumph Tiger riders say they run tires marked tubeless, with tubes, and have no problems.

Yeah, I'm sure someone will interject, but you're probably fine putting a tube in a tubeless tire.

Of course you saw the rear tire I was riding on at the RMR, so, my opinion means little. Haha

Bead seat designs on motorcycle wheels are designed differently for tube and tubeless tires. Use a different kind of tire and the beads may or may not lock even with a tube pushing the bead against the bead seat. The speed and load ratings are null and void too because the friction between tire and tube now allows the tire to heat to an unknown level, decreasing the contact patch and increasing pressure to potential blow-out pressures.

I'd find a different tire, personally.

Mike, I'm looking at the Mitas E07s, but don't know if they are tube or tubeless. Several AT's are running them and they seem to have decent reviews for a 50/50 tire. I'm going put more miles on my slicks for now.

I'll put in my 2 cents...about all its worth ;-)

A lot of Supermoto guys run tubes in tubeless street tires. I ran Bridgestone BT-016 tires which are tube less. I ran tubeless in the rear and a tube in the front and never had any issues. Put between 6000-7000 miles on that set-up when I sold it.

But X1's response seems to have a good point. And the weight difference between a Sumo and the Africa Twin is almost double.

Also a lot of the Sumo guys seal the spoke holes and make a spoked tube type rim able to run tubeless. You basically put silicone on the inside of the rim at the spoke nipple. Let it start to set up and dry then put down a couple layers of Gorilla tape over the silicone to push it down and have it seal. Worked pretty good, and mine held air with no issues.

Also I would look on ADV rider, those guys will have a lot of knowledge and experience on which tires are out there for tubeless and running a tube in a tubeless.

Gang, my new toy is going to need some new tires soon and I am running into a problem. It appears many of the tires I would like to try are only available as tubeless tires in the sizes I need.

Front is 90/90-R21
Rear is 150/70-R18

One of the tires I am pondering is the Pirelli MT90AT. They have a tube type front, but not a rear. Should I go to a different size, or find something else...

Thanks, Mike

Mike,
Those exact tires were stock OEM from the factory for the KTM 950/990 Adventures for nearly 10 years. KTMs have tube type wheels just like your AT.

Yes, the rear Pirelli in the 150/70-18 is marked tubeless. It works perfectly. I understand the speed ratings may go down with a tube--makes little difference on an Adventure bike. As far as the bead being different and not seating, I have not seen that and I know tubeless tires that fit on my KTM will work on our style rims.

You didn't ask, but some unsolicited advice from someone that rides a similar bike pretty hard off road--real off road not gravel roads or dirt roads you can drive a car down. The hybrid 50/50 tires like the Pirellis or even the Conti TKC's are slightly better than your stock Dunlops or say , Trail Attacks, but stepping up to REAL knobs is the only way you will feel a real difference off road. This is even more true as the conditions become more severe--specifically deep sand or mud.

There are very few options for real knobbies in our sizes, the Dunlop 908 is one. They are not practical for long stretches of pavement and they wear fast, but they transform the bike off road. Not trying to talk you into super-aggressive tires, just fyi.

Anyway, the Pirelli tires you are looking at are a very good overall tire for these big bikes. I think you will be happy with them.

Last edited:
I spent a lot of time last night reading a lot of posts and youtubes about going tubeless with tube type rims. I really like the idea, but I am a bit scared to try it on a bike that will do 100 MPH.

We did this ALL the time with mountain bikes and I would never own another bike with tubes again, it is that much better. I really wish Honda had designed the AT with tubeless rims.

I have read enough stories of guys running tubeless tires on tube rims with tubs that I am not afraid of that setup. Heck it appears even KTM sells their 990's with tubeless tires on tube type rims with tubes, so if the factory is willing to sell the setup I guess it should be ok for me.

But I really like the idea of tubeless.

JohnF3, thanks that is perfect input. I agree these are not true dirt tires, but I am pleasantly surprised how well the stock Dunlop's did on the sandy and gravel roads I have tried in the hill country. I think the Pirelli's should be a step better without losing the great road feel that is so fun compared to the XR650L on D606's. Truly a night and day experience to hope on and off each bike.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a spare set of wheels to switch out, one with some TKC 80's and one with the Pirelli's !!!

from dunlop:
Do not fit tubes in radial motorcycle tyres, nor fit radials on rims requiring tubes, unless the tubes bear matching size and radial (R) markings.

from motorcycle news:
You can fit tubeless tyres with tubes, but there are caveats. The first is that the rim has to be an MT-type rim. If it is marked as a WM-type rim you can only fit tubed tyres. If the inside of the tyre is ribbed, that can chafe against the tube, generating heat and wear.

So ideally you want a tyre with a smooth interior, or get the tyre fitters to use loads of French chalk to ‘lubricate’ the tube/tyre.

Be aware that fitting a tube reduces the speed rating of the tyre, so a W-rated tyre that’s good for 167mph, becomes an H-rated tyre that has a maximum rating of 130mph.

from Maxxis:
In many cases, it is possible to run a tubeless tire with a tube. Most tubeless tires can be used for both applications. It is not possible to eliminate the need to use a tube by installing a tubeless tire if your motorcycle wheel/rim originally required a tube.

Tube-type tires must have a tube. When replacing tube-type tires, be sure to replace the inner tubes. Stretched inner tubes can crease and fail due to the thinning of the inner tube rubber. Make sure that the inner tube size matches the tire size. Consult your motorcycle dealer for correct rim band replacement.

JohnF3, thanks that is perfect input. I agree these are not true dirt tires, but I am pleasantly surprised how well the stock Dunlop's did on the sandy and gravel roads I have tried in the hill country. I think the Pirelli's should be a step better without losing the great road feel that is so fun compared to the XR650L on D606's. Truly a night and day experience to hope on and off each bike.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a spare set of wheels to switch out, one with some TKC 80's and one with the Pirelli's !!!

Yes, my riding buddy has spare wheels with true knobs mounted up and ready to go. I can change tires fast so I don't mind making a quick switch. My "street" tires on my 950 are currently Pirelli Trail Attacks, which seem similar to the stock Dunlops on your AT. I just spent two days in Cloudcroft (in premium conditions I admit--no mud) and the others in my group were shocked at how well those tires did. They are nicked up and scarred from the extreme rocky conditions, but I was riding in areas where most wouldn't consider taking a big Adventure bike, and I had a complete blast. So much fun riding these bikes like this.

Back