• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend - March 22-25, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy Friends,

I'm going to do this 'Round the Bend a little different. Friday will be a Ride 'n Hike - I've wanted to see Mariscal Canyon for too long! Trailhead is at the 'Talley' campground, about 6 miles south of River Road, then about 7 miles round-trip of hiking, with a 1700 foot ascent. I'll be getting kinda a late start, due to starting my morning in Alpine, so my whole plan is something like this:.

Interested.

hikingproject.com has a description of the hike which might be helpful

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7009929/mariscal-canyon-rim-trail

My Ride 'n Hike plan for Saturday is this:

Leave Starlight: 8:00 am
Head towards Big Bend Ranch
Closed Canyon Hike start: 9:00am (2 miles round trip)
Arrive at BBR HQ at Sauceda: 12:30pm
Lunch & drop unneeded gear
Arrive at Chorro Vista Trail Head: 1:30pm
Hike Chorro Vista Loop & Madrid Falls: 3hrs (4 mile loop) (PDF)
Arrive back at Sauceda HQ: 5:00pm

From here, I might head north up Casa Pierdra to Marfa, then Alpine. Others could head back to Terlingua. Either way, it's a good, long ride to end the day.

If time looks tight, we skip Closed Canyon. If time STILL looks tight, we ride to the Road to Nowhere or just do a quick out-and-back hike at Madrid Falls.

The roads here are FAR more difficult than anything in the National Park. There will only be 5 to 10 miles of difficult roads in this plan, but those have very loose rocks, steep ups and downs, at least class 3, maybe class 4 for short stretches. This is ~ 200 miles without a gas stop. If you NEED gas, you can detour into Presidio for gas + lunch, then head to Sauceda for a 1pm departure on the second part.

Last edited:
I’m coming in Thursday night with my wife and riding buddy. She’s a newby on a crf and he’s got some experience. I’d like to spend friday with her on something beginner friendly and also make the most of the trip by riding the best of what big bend has to offer on Saturday. Any recommendations on dirt road riding destinations for a new dual
Sport rider and an idea of what I should comsider riding Saturday? Looking for suggestions.

I'd plan on doing Old Maverick and River Road in the NP on Friday. Its an easy ride for the most part, and the 250 should make it from Study Butte to RGV no problem on a tank of gas. Then you can head back on asphalt, and maybe head down some side roads as time and inclination permit. Then head into the state park on Saturday, for something more technical.

https://goo.gl/maps/JgJ6kCfW5MQ2

I’m coming in Thursday night with my wife and riding buddy. She’s a newby on a crf and he’s got some experience. I’d like to spend friday with her on something beginner friendly and also make the most of the trip by riding the best of what big bend has to offer on Saturday. Any recommendations on dirt road riding destinations for a new dual
Sport rider and an idea of what I should comsider riding Saturday? Looking for suggestions.

Join us on our Friday ride, pace is pretty relaxed & no one gets left behind. We intersect the highway a few times so people can bail.

Thanks for the ideas and invite y’all! I’m proud and excited that my wife got the nerve up to register and ride her new crf. I’m nervous as **** shes actually doing it. Slow and easy I guess.

Thanks for the ideas and invite y’all! I’m proud and excited that my wife got the nerve up to register and ride her new crf. I’m nervous as **** shes actually doing it. Slow and easy I guess.

FYI. The rocks can be sharp and gnarly and you can also get into some deep sand/gravel. Make sure she is geared up to the hilt - spare no expense. I wear every bit of gear/armor I have out there. Others here may know of a good trek for a beginner. The paved roads are a great option.

I HAVE A ROOM BOOKED AT BIG BEND RESORT FOR THURSDAY, FRIDAY AND SAT NIGHTS WITH 2 BEDS. ANYBODY NEED A BED AND WANTS TO SPLIT THE ROOM?

Is this the route where there is a big drop about 3-4 feet?

If so, are we riding in the direction of the drop and not going up? On my 1200GSA, I could do the drop but not the climb.

I did that some 12 years ago but don't remember which direction we were riding.

I'd plan on doing Old Maverick and River Road in the NP on Friday. Its an easy ride for the most part, and the 250 should make it from Study Butte to RGV no problem on a tank of gas. Then you can head back on asphalt, and maybe head down some side roads as time and inclination permit. Then head into the state park on Saturday, for something more technical.

https://goo.gl/maps/JgJ6kCfW5MQ2

Is this the route where there is a big drop about 3-4 feet?

If so, are we riding in the direction of the drop and not going up? On my 1200GSA, I could do the drop but not the climb.

I did that some 12 years ago but don't remember which direction we were riding.

I believe you are thinking about Black Gap. However, that ledge was built up when I was there last year to where just about anyone can negotiate it either way.

Join us on our Friday ride, pace is pretty relaxed & no one gets left behind. We intersect the highway a few times so people can bail.

Philip this sounds like my kind of ride. Should I just look for the Husky 501 at the resort Friday morning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice!!!! In that case, I am in :rider:

I believe you are thinking about Black Gap. However, that ledge was built up when I was there last year to where just about anyone can negotiate it either way.

I will be pitching a tent in one of the camp sites. Anyone knows which camp sites have a communal shower/bathrooms? Power outlet would be a plus too

I'm camping at Big Bend RV Park. I'll PM my cell

I'll only have limited days down there so I don't think I can invest more than one day to go over the border so Peguis Canyon sounds like a more doable plan.

I agree. Text me your phone. We will be arriving in Terlingua on Thursday no later than 5pm.

We have 2 riders(possibly 3) riding out from Austin on 22nd Thr a.m. Feel free to tag along if you can't find anyone riding from DFW.

Me and a buddy are meeting at the Exxon on 46 and IH10 in Boerne at 8:30am on Thursday. We are going to head to Bandera and then down 173 to Hondo where we will hook a right on 90 and head to BB. If you want to meet up let me know.

OK folks, maybe this has been covered previously in the thread & if so it's worth repeating anyway. Some critical needs for riding in the BB area;

1) Water - lots of it. I carry a 32oz Camelback full. If you breakdown it may be sometime before you can be extracted, it will be hot & windy & dehydration happens fast in these conditions.

2) Tires - carry a spare tube, patches, tire tools and a means to air up. Also the correct tools required to remove the front & back wheels. If you're riding in a group & are unsure about flat repair people are always willing to help, just make sure you have the right stuff with you.

3) Gas - there is gas available at Study Butte and Panther Junction, be sure and know how much you'll need for the trip you're planning and if needed, carry extra. If you're planning on riding the Ranch fuel options are even more limited so plan accordingly.

4) Maintenance - I can 100% guarantee that if something is wrong with your bike it will fail completely as far as possible from the pavement as it can! In other words, if you know about an issue or problem get it fixed before riding the park.

5) Protection (the Bike) - No bash plate = a hole in your crankcase. Simple as that.

6) Protection (You) - Aside from the obvious (helmet, real boots & gloves) I recommend some basic riding armor. No one plans to crash but lack of good protection can change a simple tip over from a good laugh to something serious. At a minimum, protect your chest because some pretty vital stuff resides in there. I also wear knee & shin protectors because I'm rather fond of those bodyparts too!

In the words of Sergeant Phil Esterhaus "let's be safe out there."

OK folks, maybe this has been covered previously in the thread & if so it's worth repeating anyway. Some critical needs for riding in the BB area;

1) Water - lots of it. I carry a 32oz Camelback full. If you breakdown it may be sometime before you can be extracted, it will be hot & windy & dehydration happens fast in these conditions.

2) Tires - carry a spare tube, patches, tire tools and a means to air up. Also the correct tools required to remove the front & back wheels. If you're riding in a group & are unsure about flat repair people are always willing to help, just make sure you have the right stuff with you.

3) Gas - there is gas available at Study Butte and Panther Junction, be sure and know how much you'll need for the trip you're planning and if needed, carry extra. If you're planning on riding the Ranch fuel options are even more limited so plan accordingly.

4) Maintenance - I can 100% guarantee that if something is wrong with your bike it will fail completely as far as possible from the pavement as it can! In other words, if you know about an issue or problem get it fixed before riding the park.

5) Protection (the Bike) - No bash plate = a hole in your crankcase. Simple as that.

6) Protection (You) - Aside from the obvious (helmet, real boots & gloves) I recommend some basic riding armor. No one plans to crash but lack of good protection can change a simple tip over from a good laugh to something serious. At a minimum, protect your chest because some pretty vital stuff resides in there. I also wear knee & shin protectors because I'm rather fond of those bodyparts too!

In the words of Sergeant Phil Esterhaus "let's be safe out there."

Great list. I was just starting my pre-trip checklist. I would also add a Spot/Inreach device if you have it and plan to ride alone. You don't want to breakdown in remote areas of Big Bend (i.e. most areas) without a riding buddy or some means of summoning help.

In case anyone's interested here's my tire kit.

IMG_20180320_092914-L.jpg

I run a Tubliss system hence the plug tool but I also carry a tube in case of a failure plus a patch kit for the complete Belt n' Braces approach. The electric pump is the Slime unit removed from it's oversize plastic housing, the hotel shampoo is to ease a tire back onto the rim and give a nice peppermint air to the whole process ;-)

The rest of my kit...

IMG_20180320_093100-L.jpg

The Husky comes with a nice toolkit, I highly recommend using only your proposed traveling kit to do some maintenance on the bike at home. You'll be surprised at what may be missing or unneeded dead weight.

Backup GPS is a cheap unit I bought from an inmate at ADVRider plus a good old fashioned compass because in the desert it's easy to get turned around. The rest is pretty obvious, as LeanderADV said above, it's good to have a SPOT if you're riding alone, I carry one with me at all times but if you're in a group you should be fine as it's quite an expense if you only plan to use once a year.

Oh yeah...and fuses!

Going to be a hot one this year. Bring plenty of H2O with you!

Going to be a hot one this year. Bring plenty of H2O with you!
I second that! 1st day last year I went through 3L of water from my camel pack and carried another liter for emergency.
Be prepared!!!

I found this video of the road, looks great:

[ame="https://youtu.be/OQhrFjBb4QI"]Honda Africa Twin PART 3 BLACK GAP Road - YouTube[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back