• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Couple o' years ago I stayed in NB for an Overseas Brats convention. I set up a route that runs west to Kerrville, up 16 to Fredericksburg, then followed country roads back east through Blanco & south to Canyon Lake. From Canyon, I picked up the "River Road", a nice curvy little boulevard that perfectly follows the Guadalupe River back south. It has low speed limits - mostly 45mph - but that was fast enough to just enjoy riding the curves while watching the river roll by, and almost all in the shade of a treed canopy extending over the road. It was a perfect riding day.

Besides that route, every little county road out around Kerrville, Fredericksburg, Llano, Bandera, Blanco, Inks Lake, etc, is its own picturesque adventure. So yeah, lots of great riding that begins literally minutes west of NB. Definitely take the bike.

You'll be too late for the Bluebonnets, but the Indian Paintbrush may still be out, and the Firewheels will just be getting warmed up. So you may find a good floral show along those roads.

Jarrett, do yourself a favor and send Mr2mch an PM and buy yourself a Butler map of the Texas Hill Country. It only covers as far north as Burnet County but is great for what you want to do.

I assume you don't know what these are and why you need one but they highlight roads you want to ride but would take many many weekends to find on your own. They have different colors based on three different degrees of ride-ability. They have a nice coating on them and hold up very well.

In the meantime you can ride over and check out mine. I think they're a game changer for planning rides.

Obviously, anything is better than I-35. Me, I usually cut west & take either 281 or 16. They're longer in miles (and probably in time), but you won't be in bumper to bumper scary traffic - although, 281 is getting pretty busy these days around weekends. Beyond that, open Google Maps, look for squiggly county or smaller state roads, & build any of a dozen routes that will take you all day, but blissfully so. If you want to get into the REAL goat paths, Mr2Mch knows them all intimately and can probably get you point to point while spending as much time as you desire on dirt - or at least crumbly old asphalt.

And +1 to MacDaddy's suggestion. If you like curvy roads, the Butler Map of the Hill Country is your best friend once you're in the area. But it won't cover getting there.

Ha! Just did a loop yesterday which included River Rd.

Anyway, if you want to get dirty, hit me up when you're here, and I can show you some dual sport routes I ride, east of I35. I know a lot of the unpaved areas around Caldwell/Bastrop/Guadalupe counties. FYI- I prefer to ride during the week, but can rally for the weekends if need be.

Or hit me up when you get to town, I have a few nice local street rides I take from the house. If I am in town I would be happy to take you on a street ride

Forget River Road if it is the weekend the tourists and tubers are already showing up and with that comes the river road crawl as you will be behind tube busses and folks looking for the campsite and the every 20 minute sherriff patrol keeping and eye out for idiots

Bring the zero and a truck and come try it offroad at my ranch. Only 40 minutes south

This is technically a "family" trip, not a "motorcycle" trip, of which I've taken several of lately.

I might be pushing it if I took the truck and the bike and left them stuck at the river all day.

Yall will have fun on the river.

I always did

My exploration up in New Branfels-land is limited but I like to go for the wind down at night. I do these on the TTR125 so I prefer the small roads if I can.
I vary my route depending in my time, the weather etc but the roads I normally cruise around on are: Evans, 2252, Shoenthal, 482, 3009, 1863, 46, 311, 3159, 2722. I this area a lot of the small ranch roads are quick dead ends and private.

I'd launch my kayak at Jacobs creek and hit S Cranes Mill to the park... so I've driven a lot of 306, 2673.

Off 306 there's a road called Purgatory, suppose to be historic and haunted (play Twilight Zone music here). I've read 32 and 12 are nice too but I have not drive/ridden any of them. My coworker likes to go ride with her husband up those roads.

If you go at Night watch out for deer. There's a lot but have never had an incident. If you go during the day, watch out for aggressive drivers and rock hauler 18wheelers. I trust the deer most.

ASPR, I’m in San Marcos and would happily meet up with you to ride. I don’t fear mud but know some places prefer no riding when wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monica hit some of the best ones, one word of caution is that the local sheriff has decided purgatory road is prime for catching speeders.

1863 is a nice ride some good scenery along there Rebecca Creek is also a fun road its out of town a bit over close to 281 but is a cool little ride with lots of turns and hills

Not sure what my work schedule will be like next week but if I am around I can slip out for a morning ride before I get back to emails.

NB'er here. Yes, be careful on Purgatory, it begs to go faster and the sheriff knows it. Second Rebecca Creek Road for some hills and curves.

If you can get away for a few hours, here's a paved loop..River Road out to 2673, turn right to 306, left on Purgatory, right on 32 then left on 12. This takes you to Wimberly. Just before Wimberly, go right on 3237...take it about 8 miles, stop at Hays City Store at the intersection of 150 for any refreshments. Take 150 north to Driftwood, then a left on Elder Hill Road. It winds back and take a left on 12, which then takes you back to Wimberly. You can retrace your route to River Road, or when you hit 306, turn left and take it to Hunter Road, thru Gruene, and then back to River Road.

By the way, are you camping? Which campground? I'm spending the weekend at K&L in our travel trailer. Going to be wet. Probably not much tubing.

Last edited:
Back