• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Why I Don't Ride Angeles Crest Hwy On The Weekends

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Wells III
This video sums up why i usually only go riding to certain areas during the week days... Dangerous Road if not respected. Too many cars and motorcycles treating the place like a race track and lots of clueless cagers too busy looking at the scenery than the road. This is the same road that i just posted my ride from thursday. Angeles Crest Hwy ( CA-2 )

[ame="https://youtu.be/hwoR_CPqPHY"]Eventful Angeles Crest Highway Ride - YouTube[/ame]

Those guys were idiots to still be standing there after the second bike went off....

Those guys were idiots to still be standing there after the second bike went off....

Yep, But plenty of them go there..... Every video i post as I'm going up that road i always talk about having to look out for sand on that road....Now you see why...:eek2::eek2:

Mulholland is exactly the same including photographers who set up on the special corners to catch the wrecks.

Mulholland is exactly the same including photographers who set up on the special corners to catch the wrecks.

Yes Sir...That a place i avoid now adays. I will go up to Neptunes Net to eat and to get some nice ocean views....

17629174845_f494b636e0_h.jpg
Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

17442887159_6039525a11_h.jpg
Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Last edited:
Spent many years in s.f. Valley girls iding both angeles crest, and mulholland. Never had a problem, thirty years ago.
Even today in south texas you will see the same stupidity as in this video.
The three sisters is a good example. Saw a harley go down on a sweeper, guy had no gear.

Unless it was a weekday I never went to any of those places. Going on a weekend was asking for getting hassled by the police mistaking you for a squid or being involved in a bad accident.

I was close to Palomar and I'd go up there every once in a blue moon on the weekend to watch the motorcycles go by but I'd go up the "backway" via Nate Harrison Grade which was a well maintained gravel road.

Same for Muholland Dr, go up on a weekday. Lucky for me my job at the time gave me a few weekdays off a month and I could go out and enjoy the awesome roads in SOCAL without getting taken out by a lowsided GSXR.

Unless it was a weekday I never went to any of those places. Going on a weekend was asking for getting hassled by the police mistaking you for a squid or being involved in a bad accident.

:tab It is exactly the same for places like Deal's Gap, the Cherohala Skyway (near Deal's Gap) and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Visit on a weekend and there will be TONS of other bikers doing stupid stuff. There will be a heavy LEO presence as well. Ride them on most weekdays and you are likely to have them to your self. This is also one reason why I like dual sport riding. I seek out the lesser traveled roads.

It's great to be retired. I keep my pleasure riding to week days, when traffic is light.

Just a couple of observations here:

1) At 0:20, I saw a helicopter on the left side of the road. Was he there for an accident that had already happened, or one they were assuming would inevitably happen later? Either way doesn't bode well.

2) Having watched these guys passing in blind no-passing zones as well as passing on the right hand shoulder, do I note these guys - around 3:00 - yelling at other riders for doing exactly what they would have been doing, had they not pulled over? Just wondering.

Last edited:
A female rider just died on Ortega Hwy Saturday... She rides with a group of people that use that road as a race track. Its a dangerous road that a lot of people don't respect until its too late...http://www.myvalleynews.com/story/2...list-killed-in-mountain-road-crash/60264.html

Ortega Highway | SoCal Ride - YouTube

Ortega has some pretty wild drop offs if you overshoot some of those corners and there's not guardrails in a lot of them. Not uncommon to hear of folks going off the side.

I1) At 0:20, I saw a helicopter on the left side of the road. Was he there for an accident that had already happened, or one they were assuming would inevitably happen later? Either way doesn't bode well.

Right after that around the corner was a truck winching something up a cliff. I was guessing the helicopter was there for that accident and right around the corner was the closest place to land.

A riding buddy that is also a police officer in that area sent me this...I just happened to drive by after it happened. Highway Patrol was already there. Reports said she was doing 70-80. That area had the yellow 30mph signs. I watched some of her YouTube videos. Too bad, tragic to say the least, but very preventable. On a side note, I rode up to Crystal Lake today via Azusa. Never been up there, nice ride.

He said she shot off the side of the mountain and dropped well over 50ft to the rocks below...

A female rider just died on Ortega Hwy Saturday... She rides with a group of people that use that road as a race track. Its a dangerous road that a lot of people don't respect until its too late...http://www.myvalleynews.com/story/2...list-killed-in-mountain-road-crash/60264.html

Ortega Highway | SoCal Ride - YouTube

Annette Carrion (sp)RIP. It took me a while to realize the woman that crashed is the one that has the YouTube videos of her riding the twisters.

...On a side note, I rode up to Crystal Lake today via Azusa. Never been up there, nice ride...

Yep one of my favorite roads. Rode the bike up there after Thanksgiving and camped and hiked with my kids. Has Hwy 39 past Crystal Lake opened up thru to Angeles Crest yet?

_

I like Weljo2001's tag line. Neil DeGrasse Tyson famously said "The universe is trying to kill you." I guess the reason I've become an old man in a world where men (and women) die young is I have a very healthy respect for the universe, and I avoid playing chicken with physics.

I wouldn't go out and ride that road on a bet, not with those crazy people on it.

True dat. Although, to tell the truth, I feel exactly the same way about I-35 between Ft Worth and San Antonio on any weekend or holiday. Different sort of craziness, but craziness nevertheless. :duck:

I like Weljo2001's tag line. Neil DeGrasse Tyson famously said "The universe is trying to kill you." I guess the reason I've become an old man in a world where men (and women) die young is I have a very healthy respect for the universe, and I avoid playing chicken with physics.

For our kids, we call that "reality discipline". With Mom and Dad discipline, you might catch a break. With reality discipline, you don't always get a second chance...

Yep one of my favorite roads. Rode the bike up there after Thanksgiving and camped and hiked with my kids. Has Hwy 39 past Crystal Lake opened up thru to Angeles Crest yet?

_

Not sure. The only road not opened the day of my ride was to Azusa...

Back