• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tubliss tire system

I carry this stuff:

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0519 Although using the kickstand now seems easier.

:tab If you have the valve stem core out of the stem, most tires come off the bead fairly easily with the heel of your boot. Kickstand will work IF you have another bike to use. It can get dicey trying to use the kickstand of the bike missing a wheel ;-)

:tab These are neat, and there are other riders here that have them and love them. For me, it is a trade off on space versus convenience. Does the tool make the job easier to the point where it really justifies packing it? I am on the fence about this one, but I've never actually used one myself. That said, I've never really had that much trouble getting tires on or off the rim :shrug:

:tab Basically what I have, except mine is just the pump with the 12V cig plug. I don't have all those other power chords and fancy carry pouch. It is loud, gets hot, and takes a while, but it has always worked.

:tab Again, basically what I have and again I don't have the nice carry pouch :doh: :lol2: The nice thing about those strip plugs is that you can find them and the tools at almost ANY gas station. The Rubber cement tubes are almost ALWAYS punctured and bone dry when you need them. I have yet to figure out how to make one of those last for any length of time :shrug: Even a TINY hole in the tube will let the entire thing evaporate dry. That said, those strips have sticky stuff on them and I've never had one fail to work. The T handles are nice on the tools because sometimes it can take a good bit of effort to ream out the hole and get the strip in there.

:tab Nice. Some folks carry BIG tire irons. I say anything over 10-12" long is over kill. If you need that much leverage, you need to take a deep breath, step away for a few moments, and reconsider your method ;-) Two irons is my minimum. Three can make it easier, but if you are riding with a buddy, they will typically have another you can use.

:tab I have two of these.

Motion Pro Bead Buddy
https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0471-Bead-Buddy/dp/B0035UDHZ2/?tag=twowhetex-20

:tab If you are doing a tire alone, they can really help with keeping the bead down in the center of the rim, making it MUCH easier to get that last bit of the tire over the rim when you are reinstalling. They are small and light, so packing them isn't an issue.

:tab I also have one of these, because it will fit so many different bikes. I need it for the front tire of my 1200 GS, but I've used it for other people's bikes as well.

Motion Pro 08-0355 T6 Superlight Hex Axle Tool
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UKJ6QO/?tag=twowhetex-20

:tab This is a REAL knuckle/finger saver! It works great.

Stem puller
https://www.amazon.com/Tire-Valve-Stem-Fishing-Puller/dp/B01GT8FTRK/?tag=twowhetex-20

Ratchet strap around the middle of the tire?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The only thing I have seen that used for is attempting to get the tire bead to set against the rim. I've done it a few times in conjunction with a weak compressor/pump. I've also seen a tire inflated, holding pressure, but the beads would not seat. The rider went down the road slowly, gradually increasing speed, and somewhere around 30mph I could see the bead set on each side while riding behind him. I would not recommend that method, but at that point where were getting desperate...

The only thing I have seen that used for is attempting to get the tire bead to set against the rim. I've done it a few times in conjunction with a weak compressor/pump. I've also seen a tire inflated, holding pressure, but the beads would not seat. The rider went down the road slowly, gradually increasing speed, and somewhere around 30mph I could see the bead set on each side while riding behind him. I would not recommend that method, but at that point where were getting desperate...
I frequently use the ratchet strap around the center for tractor and atv tires for the ranch stuff. Figured it would be a good help for roadside tubeless tire repairs

If you have the valve stem core out of the stem, most tires come off the bead fairly easily with the heel of your boot.
Not in my limited experience. I've stood on the tire and watched others jump up and down on their tires. I wished it did though.

Kickstand will work IF you have another bike to use. It can get dicey trying to use the kickstand of the bike missing a wheel ;-)

I did it solo while my bike was on the center stand. Seemed easy enough to tip it over a bit :shrug:

Does the tool make the job easier to the point where it really justifies packing it?

It does and doesn't take up much room. I think I sold a couple on the side of the K-Trail :)

One other item to carry is a piece of sheet plastic or small tarp. Only needs to be a little bigger than the front tire. Cutting up a free Harbor Freight version works. It'll keep stuff like little pine cones, twigs and grass from getting between the rim and bead on the bottom side while your working on the top. And then there's also the dirt in the wheel bearing thing. Don't ask how I happen to know these little subtleties ... :lol2:

One other item to carry is a piece of sheet plastic or small tarp. Only needs to be a little bigger than the front tire. Cutting up a free Harbor Freight version works. It'll keep stuff like little pine cones, twigs and grass from getting between the rim and bead on the bottom side while your working on the top. And then there's also the dirt in the wheel bearing thing. Don't ask how I happen to know these little subtleties ... :lol2:

I forgot about that! I have a 4' X 4' piece of one of those rubberized table cloths. It folds up real small and flat. It also helps keep dirt out of your wheel bearings!

I also carry a pair of gloves and a small dish towel. The gloves help keep my hands/fingers from accidentally getting cut on something. The towel is to help with keeping things dry/clean. If you use SLIME, you might need a few beach towels :-P

I think y’all need to enlighten us with some pics. I’m trying to go light as possible on the xrl but also don’t care to walk home.

Seems like it would be a lot to carry on a XR.

I bought some red bags to carry tools in on here a while back when I had my (red) CRF250L. Not a perfect match, but close.

I'm not using them and would sell them to you if you wanted. $40 shipped?

The underside of the right one is a little toasty from exhaust heat, but otherwise fine.

37754082-10214282205822508-6497969877406449664-n.jpg

I usually ran without the tailbag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate it Jarrett but I’m thinking even lighter. I may try the backpack idea aspr had. I’m thinking if this bike gets more than 50 miles from home it will be on a trailer

No worries. I'm sure they'll be in the garage if you change your mind.

Thing about backpacks is to pack them with a get-off in mind. A tire tool through a rib cage would not be very pleasant. Just sayn...

That’s my worries. Plus they just seem like I’m putting more weight at a higher center of gravity... I’m sure I’m over thinking all this as I usually do 40-50 tops on my country roads

Thing about backpacks is to pack them with a get-off in mind. A tire tool through a rib cage would not be very pleasant. Just sayn...
Yes. That's why I keep soft stuff between me and the tools.

:tab I carry all my stuff on the KTM 530 EXC in soft side bags. They are Kriega Overlander 30s. They don't make them any more, but they still have something similar and better.

https://kriega.com/overlanders/

Mine don't have the part that straps to the bike independent of the bags. The straps are built into my bags. I like the newer version better.

:tab I put the tubes flat in the bottom of one side bag. I put the pump in the same bag. I put the tire irons and other tire related stuff in the same bag. All my other, and heavier, tools go in the right side bag. This fills up the bottom half of each bag (approximately). That is it for a day ride. I can just about disassemble the bike with the tools I carry.

:tab If I am camping off the 530, things like my chair, spare gloves, cooking stuff, etc,... go in the side bags. Tent, sleeping bag, and some clothes go in a Wolman medium dry bag across the tail of the bike. I try to keep that as light weight as possible!! I use a small Wolfman Enduro tankbag for other stuff, like JB weld putty, bailing wire, spare spark plug, tire gauge, and other small bits. I will wear a Kriega R20 backpack as well.

https://kriega.com/riderpacks/r20

Snacks, water, and clothing go in this. Again, I try to keep it light weight other than the water. For clothing, it is just socks, undies, a shirt or two, camp pants, and maybe a sweat shirt. My jacket liner and pants liner will go in the top bag on the back of bike if I am not wearing them.

:tab I do not use a front fender bag. I have tried them and do not like the weight on the fender. It makes the bike handle funny.

:tab On a typical ride on my GS, I just put my tools and tire stuff in the rear top hard bag. I leave the side bags off unless I am doing a multi day trip on the bike and need to pack clothes and such. I don't use a tank bag or back pack for the GS. I might use a Camel-Bak if we are going to be somewhere that we can't stop every 100 miles or so to take a break and get drinks or if it is just going to be really hot.

I love the open can of mineral spirits next to the flame!

Man I remember my "Camel" patch kit I used all the time. Remember getting sad when tubes had more than 10 patch's on them, meant we had to go find more soda bottles to return for cash!

Gas was $0.26 cents a gallon too.

I remember the .56 gal at the gulf station in 1970 something. But .26 ? Boy, your OLD !

Seems like it would be a lot to carry on a XR.

I bought some red bags to carry tools in on here a while back when I had my (red) CRF250L. Not a perfect match, but close.

I'm not using them and would sell them to you if you wanted. $40 shipped?

The underside of the right one is a little toasty from exhaust heat, but otherwise fine.

37754082-10214282205822508-6497969877406449664-n.jpg

I usually ran without the tailbag.

I might take you up on those in a few weeks if kirk doesn't. But seeing as he told me I apparently get to carry all the tools, maybe he should buy them to put on my bike lol

Last edited:
Back