• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding jeans: not for fat guys

Scorch

Reaction score
A few years ago I was able to buy a couple pair of AVG cargo pants for $90, which is a fair amount of money, in my world. I have (ahem) outgrown them, and I cannot find this brand now. I found an odd pair here and there but they are usually size 28 or 34.

I searched far and wide for something that would do the trick, I am finding the following issues:

• Not cargo pants - I really want the extra pockets, they carry a phone well. I cannot see the standard type jeans providing the utility of cargo pants. Also, I want to be ready in case the '80s return.
  • Not my size - 40 or 42 waist, depending on the fit. A lot of stuff runs smaller than the stated size. I have found decent candidates but size 38 is as high as most go. Am I going to have to actually diet for this?? :eat:
  • Not a good value. I cannot see spending more than $200 for a pair of pants unless the fabric is unicorn hide. I have a 401K to feed. I'm not going to p$$ away hundred of dollars for pants.
  • Not actually kevlar-lined. I tried the Bull-it SR6, lord those things are heavy and bulky, like wearing a Depends and three pair pf pants. And $170.

Alas, I am thinking about buying a couple yards of heavy duty fabric and kevlar material and making my own. Won't be pretty. :lol2:

Found these, they may do the trick
https://www.511tactical.com/stryke-motor-pants.html

74412_019_01.jpg

FEATURES DETAILS
6.76 oz. Flex-Tac® ripstop fabric
Self- adjusting tunnel waistband
Riding gusset
Articulated knees
DuPont Kevlar® reinforcements at the seat, hips, and knees
Low- profile cargo pockets accessible while seated
Adjustable elastic stirrups
Tough, comfortable riding pants for mounted police
Reinforced for protection against road rash and injury
Extra pockets sized and placed for mounted use
Teflon® finish
Imported

Lol, figgers cops' pants go up to size 48 :) Yay for doughnuts

Last edited:
Hey! I used to take offense to that ! [emoji1345]*[emoji3603]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Duluth Trading (Firehouse pants), or Carhart.

Check out Duluth Trading (Firehouse pants), or Carhart.

Thx, I went through the Duluth catalog, I'll check out Carhart too.

:clap: I'll let you know how they work out, I went ahead and ordered a pair. As gear -oriented as law enforcement officers are, I expect these to be top notch for MC riding.

Check out these on eBay:
Tru-Spec 24/7 Series Poly/Cotton Rip-Stop Xpedition Pants W/FREE Knife

This one dealer has them for $59.00 everyone else is $95.00. This is what I was wearing at RTB IX. I had them over Thor knee guards and Forma Terra Evo boots and they were tight but fit over the boots. I love them, I bought several different colors.
I normally wear size 34/32 but the 32/32 fit me best. They have an expandable waist.

Dog

I would love that. Where did you read it? Edit: ok, here https://www.dickies.com/dickiesmoto/ Hmmm, something's wrong with this picture, I smell hipster.
Edit edit: apparently you can get them now https://www.jpcycles.com/product/181-3090/dickies-moto-men-s-iron-ride-easy-fit-black-denim-pants (But not for fat guy)

Well, the 5.11 Motor cop pants came in. They fit great, with a button and snap waist fasteners. The waist also has one of those elastic panels that will give a little when pulled. The pants leg has a nice elastic loop to keep the pants leg pulled down. The fabric has a "Teflon" coating, so the labels say, for better wear. The seat, hips and knee section have the typical yellow Kevlar lining. The pants look ok, not very stiff, I guess that's what they are going for. How much help is a single Kevlar lining? Cargo and rear pockets have velcro fasterners. Made in Vietnam.

I'll keep these, and if 5.11 ever has a decent sale, maybe buy another pair.

Last edited:

Me too [emoji601]

And....how in the **** is Dickies going to have a relaxed fit jean quitting at a 36” waist. Those peckerheads must be thinking they are in Europe.

A few years ago I was able to buy a couple pair of AVG cargo pants for $90, which is a fair amount of money, in my world. I have (ahem) outgrown them, and I cannot find this brand now. I found an odd pair here and there but they are usually size 28 or 34.

I searched far and wide for something that would do the trick, I am finding the following issues:

• Not cargo pants - I really want the extra pockets, they carry a phone well. I cannot see the standard type jeans providing the utility of cargo pants. Also, I want to be ready in case the '80s return.
  • Not my size - 40 or 42 waist, depending on the fit. A lot of stuff runs smaller than the stated size. I have found decent candidates but size 38 is as high as most go. Am I going to have to actually diet for this?? :eat:
  • Not a good value. I cannot see spending more than $200 for a pair of pants unless the fabric is unicorn hide. I have a 401K to feed. I'm not going to p$$ away hundred of dollars for pants.
  • Not actually kevlar-lined. I tried the Bull-it SR6, lord those things are heavy and bulky, like wearing a Depends and three pair pf pants. And $170.

Alas, I am thinking about buying a couple yards of heavy duty fabric and kevlar material and making my own. Won't be pretty. :lol2:

I was able to pick up a pair of the Street n Steel jeans for $89 on sale on Cycle Gear. I got the black jeans, as they go with everything. I have been wanting to get a pair of riding jeans for a long time, but didn't want to spend the money, but I went ahead and splurged for the Lone Star Rally 2018 last year.

My opinion is you will need to go try them on. Good luck going by any of the sizes as padding, and fit with these are not going to be exactly like regular jeans. Also, all of them come in monster long lengths, like 36 or 38 inches, and have to be hemmed, and I believe they are sold to be hemmed as no company seems to be offering them in pre-cut lengths, only waist sizes at Cycle Gear.

I paid a seamstress $20 to hem them. I love them! They fit great, look good, but inside the Cycle Gear shop I literally had to try on every single pair that was 34" and 36" waste, knowing they will still need to be hemmed so I just went with the best fit, and be sure and sit allot with them on, to test what you will be doing in them allot. If you buy these new, expect to goto a seamstress for adjustments.

Here is the link to what I bought.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/street-steel-oakland-jeans

You might look at Caterpillar pants, they are well made with lots of pockets, with pockets for knee pads, I use for laying floor or on my knees, a lot and I haven't worn the knees out they call the material C2X it's pretty tough

Back