• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SOLD: 2001 Triumph Sprint ST 955

Reaction score
SOLD
Finally ready to part with my beloved Sprint ST, a relaxed-fit sportbike.
Parked the bike 12 years ago due to health reasons, but couldn't bring myself to sell this gorgeous and fine ride. Now I'm into performance cars, don't have room for the bike and have come to grips with reality that my riding days are over.

2001 Sprint ST 955.
Less than 15,000 miles, IIRC.
Original owner.
Includes:
Saddle bags.
Corbin saddle. (Original seat included w sale.)
Factory performance exhaust. (Original exhaust included w sale.)
Heated handgrips.
Throttlemeister Cruise Control.
Progressive Suspension Front Springs.
Double Bubble windscreen.
Autocomm box, no headsets.
Tankbag.
Wireless radar detector.
Various spares, including some fairing/saddlebag parts.
Accessory plug for electric vest.

Ran fine when I parked it. Never wrecked, dropped once in a driveway.
Clean title.

This model Sprint ST was more comfortable than later versions. Comfortably eat up miles on the superslab and then have fun in the twisties.
Bike located in SW Houston.

Attachments

• 2001 Sprint ST.jpg
    2001 Sprint ST.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 425
  • Sprint ST 955i.jpg
    Sprint ST 955i.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Re: FS: 2001 Triumph Sprint ST 955

Great bikes, I loved mine..............until someone backed over it. Thankfully we were not on it.

Glws. Now you have to tell us about said performance car!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I had one of these exactly like this one, including same color and same seat. It was HUGE fun to ride. When it's revved up a little, that Triumph triple is a little rocketship for an old geezer like me.

I had one of these exactly like this one, including same color and same seat. It was HUGE fun to ride. When it's revved up a little, that Triumph triple is a little rocketship for an old geezer like me.

And they get fantastic gas mileage. Most of the guys I rode with that had them consistently got to 45-48 mpg even when banging around on the back roads with LOADS of heavy throttle inputs. It had the performance that the VFR 800s lacked. It even came with matching hard luggage, something Honda could never seem to make themselves do with the VFRs. A LOT of former VFR riders bought these. Had I been able to afford one back when these were coming out, I would have bought one. I got to do quite a bit of seat time on several of them, as well as the Sprint RS (partially faired version, and basically the same bike).

I sold my last VFR a while back but feel the itch for another sport tourer. Lemme ponder for a while.

Looks good. I have to assume after sitting for 12 years it’ll need some attention to be road worthy. Does it run, now? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good. I have to assume after sitting for 12 years it’ll need some attention to be road worthy. Does it run, now? Thanks.

Was running fine when I parked it. Can't imagine it needing more than new battery, fluids & rubber (i.e. gaskets and tires). No rust on bike. One footpeg feeler broke off. Rear turn signals have to be glued, not sure why both have sheared near the ends, maybe while sitting under a tarp?

Insurance companies classify the Sprint ST as a touring bike, so insurance is much less than sportbike. It's a sportbike with hard luggage, take the bags off and have fun.

The performance limits of this bike were beyond my own capabilities as a rider. The 955 3-cylinder gives the best of both worlds: Torque of a V-twin down low and smoothness of an inline 4 at higher rpm.

Last edited:

:tab For me, basic maintenance after that length of time sitting would include the following. Flush brake/clutch fluid (possibly replace hoses if any signs of dry rotting/cracking). This is easy to do on the Sprint and not real expensive even if the hoses do need replacing. Change oil. New battery if old one doesn't hold charge. I would do new tires no matter what, but that is a subjective thing, and I also have preferred tires for that kind of bike. Chain MIGHT need replacing just because the rubber o-rings will be old and potentially dry rotted. However, I would not mess with that right away unless it showed issues after I rode it a bit. New chain and sprockets are not real expensive and are easy to do. Oil in forks could probably stand to be replaced. This cheap and easy to do. I'd probably replace the radiator fluid. This is cheap but might take a bit of time even though it is not hard. I might change the plugs depending on how it seems to run/start, but that is not a high priority item. I would check the air filter.

:tab Those are all things that would need to be done to ANY bike, whether you are buying it you have had it yourself for a long time and want to start riding it again. I would not let those things deter me from buying a bike like this if I were in the market for one, although I might take some of that into account when deciding what to offer for it.

:tab I would show up with a fully charged battery for the bike just to make sure the FI system powers up and the bike cranks over. It should start, but you just never know when gas has been sitting in the system that long. The fact that it is fuel injected should help with stale gas issues. It would probably get a good idea to run some injector cleaner in the first few tanks of gas just for good measure.

:tab These really are great bikes. I prefer the styling on these to the more angular styling of the newer bikes. They are spec'd to make 108 HP and around 72 ft-lbs of torque. It is a broad torque curve as well, so the motors are like locomotives with great throttle response. The sound is fantastic! The motor just has to be experienced to be appreciated!

TL;DR: Thanks for the comments guys, especially from those who are familiar with one of the finest sport touring bikes ever made. Harley riders who dissed sportbikes would halt in mid-stride when they realized it’s a Trumpet, the original chopper. Not a rice burner, but a tea-sipper. Marlon Brando rode a Triumph in the Wild One. I rode one all over East and Central Texas, huge ratio of smiles per mile.

Howdy Ira :wave:
Howdy Scott! Long time no see. I think we first met just when you were starting this forum. Took me a very long time to come to grips with quitting riding. Sat on some display sportbikes at MotoGP at COTA this year, hadn't been in the saddle in years. It felt like home. My son chuckled telling me he noticed how I lingered and gently caressed each bike after I got off it, I wasn't even aware.
I had that 955 in a Tiger. My favorite motor so far.
This engine is amazing! Torque of a V-Twin at low RPM, smoothness of an inline four at cruising speeds. Was always in awe at the gas mileage this engine achieved, especially considering how eager it is to please the pilot.
Glws. Now you have to tell us about said performance car!
Car is Holden Commodore VF, aka Chevy SS. Built in Australia, only 12,000 left hand drive versions ever made and shipped to US. That's about 4 out every million cars on the road.
:tab The White Lion comes from the factory with a 415HP 6.2L V8, same LS3 as the C6 Corvette. Rear wheel drive, mag ride suspension settings from tour to track. Heads-up display. Available with a manual tranny, but I got the paddle shifting auto.
:tab Tremendous bang for the buck with this ride. Only two sedans have performed better at Streets of Willow Springs: MB C63 AMG and Porsche Panamera Twin Turbo, both of those are at least $100k more than the SS. At a two-day HPDE class at MSR Houston (2.4 miles, 17 turns), virtually every instructor and school owner sought me out to exclaim they'd never seen a sedan do on a track what mine did. They couldn't believe it was my first track school in a car, didn't tell them I'd been to 4 or 5 motorcycle track schools, hehe. (In one of the classroom sessions, instructor mentioned how much more difficult and how many more pilot actions are required to setup a motorcycle for a turn than a car.)
:tab Picture is of me painting a stripe all the way through a turn, I've seen 1.3 lateral gees in this car.
The LS3 begs for modifications. Mine now makes 690HP at the crank, putting down 580HP/555TQ at the rear wheel. Traction is overrated.

And yes, after riding high performance bikes most of my adult life, I'll never be one of those cagers.

Now, I need to sell the Trumpet. I still love just looking at it, but it's time to move on from that phase of life.

Attachments

• IMG_11455rs.jpg
    IMG_11455rs.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

Here's a picture of the Autocom box that comes with the Triumph.
Gonna have to move the bike to a different storage location if someone doesn't provide it a new home in the next 10 days. Make me an offer.

Attachments

• AutoCom.jpg
    AutoCom.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 195
Really interested. Trying to talk my wife into buying it. I’ll be in touch.
Keep working on her. I'm very motivated to sell THIS weekend.
Next week I have to move the bike to another storage location. After I relocate it, I may raise the price again as I won't be in a hurry to sell.

This bike is an absolute steal at that price. I owned one for a while and really enjoyed running it out in the Hill Country. Extremely capable. I am shocked it has not sold at this price. If I didn't have a garage full already I would pick it up.

GLWS

Last edited:
Did you ever go get a duplicate title?
How are these motors compared to the later 1050 on a 2007... Tiger.
I have the title in hand.
How do the motors differ? The 1050 is 95cc larger. That 3-cylinder motor may be the best I've had.

That 3-cylinder motor may be the best I've had.

I know someone in KY that has a similar model, just beat to heck, and over 100k miles, and the motor has never been touched, save regular maintenance. ridiculous someone hasn't parachuted in to buy this bike.

Back