• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FS - 2003 KLX 400 (DRZ 400)

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
2003 KLX400, $3200, Austin, TX

Several years ago I bought a KLX 400 (a Suzuki DR-Z400S rebadged by Kawasaki as the KLX 400) with the intent of determining if it could be significantly improved as a lightweight dual sport adventure bike. I detailed the build here.

The complete build included:
440 cc big bore kit
ACT wide ratio transmission
new motor bearings
Seat Concepts seat
IMS 4 gallon gas tank
Bar risers
Front stainless steel brake line
Lynx fairing
Rear rack
Dirt bagz side racks
Cycra hand guards
Changed plastic from Kawasaki green to Suzuki DRZ 400 blue

Here is how it looked, packed and ready for a trip to Mexico (luggage not included with sale)
DRZ-4-XL.jpg

Eric Marquez, who specializes in DRZs (and is a member here on TWT) did the motor build, in case you want to ask him about it.

I put 1500 miles on the bike after the build bringing the odometer to about 10,900.

Then I did what I always do - I sold the bike and moved on to something else. In this case, Steve, my long-time, trusted auto mechanic, bought my KLX/DRZ with the intent of starting dual sport adventure riding. However, that didn't happen, so the bike has been sitting in his shop for the past 2 years unridden. I think he put a total of 100 miles on the bike since buying it from me.

I went to see Steve today to have my car worked on and he mentioned that he would like to sell the DRZ. I was tempted to buy it back from him, but since I just acquired a KTM 500 I had to pass.

Steve and I have been friends a long time. He isn't a member here on TWT he asked me if I could help him sell the bike.

If you have been thinking about buying a DRZ for dual sport adventure riding, I recommend taking a long look at this bike. The big bore kit and wide ratio transmission transform the DRZ in a very positive way.

If you are interested, you can contact me for details about the bike. I know more about the recent history of the bike than does Steve.

Or feel free to call Steve directly at his shop, STB Automotive, at 512-292-3519. His shop is located in south Austin.

Last edited:
Back