• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help with stripped bolt

Goat10

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Vance
So I'm trying to remove the footpeg shifter from my ZRX and the stupid aluminium bolt stripped out as I tried to break it free. Any suggestions on tools or how I can get it out?

Thanks!

So I'm trying to remove the footpeg shifter from my ZRX and the stupid aluminium bolt stripped out as I tried to break it free. Any suggestions on tools or how I can get it out?

Thanks!

Picture please

I think your asking about the shifter pivot bolt? Which should be steel...
Foot_Peg_Install_1.jpg

Or is this a foot peg mount that "shifts" the position of the foot peg?

Last edited:
Is the head of the bolt stripped or are the threads of the bolt stripped?

Head: Use dermal to cut slot in head and use a flat blade screwdriver

Threads: Put a screwdriver behind the shift lever (between the shift lever and the frame of the bike) and put pressure on the lever outward. Have some one try to remove the bolt while you are prying the lever out.

It's the head of the bolt that holds the foot peg and shifter to the frame, it's aluminum unfortunately. I would gladly deal with additional weight for steel bolts! What is a dermal? Can't post pics, at work and out of time all weekend. Will try when I get back but I really appreciate the ideas!

It's the head of the bolt that holds the foot peg and shifter to the frame, it's aluminum unfortunately. I would gladly deal with additional weight for steel bolts! What is a dermal? Can't post pics, at work and out of time all weekend. Will try when I get back but I really appreciate the ideas!

A "dermal" is a typo :doh:. Should have been a Dremel.

I had a bolt with an allen head strip to where the wrench spun the flats out of the recess. I had to drill it with progressively larger bits until the head popped off, It was tight enough to strip out the wrench socket so a bolt extractor was just not biting hard enough to turn it either. Just drill deep enough to pop the head and when you remove the bracket you can grasp what is left of the bolt with pliers. One more tip is get a set of left twist bits at Harbor Freight or Northern Tools for this. Pretty affordable and I use mine infrequently enough that the cheap bits have worked so far so good. Sometimes the heat from drilling will free the bolt so the bit grabs it and turns it out for you,

An aluminum bolt probably wouldn't have been torqued very high, but I would bet it has some serious thread locker on it. Heat would help with that too.

+1 on the left handed drill bits. Sometimes you get lucky and the bolt comes right on out. They are handy to have in the tool box

Left hand drills work unless the fastener is mechanically locked in place ,,, but I start there cuz worst case is I now have the hole I need for the next step.

A down and dirty, ruin a tool trick is to find a double square or Torx bit, better if it is an impact bit (harder steel) and hammer it into the damaged socket head fastener. Now use the bit as a remover.

Looks like you could drill the head off, remove the lever, then grind a couple flats on the bolt, heat it, and remove it with a vice-grip.

Galvanic corrosion (dissimilar metals). Also apply penetrating oil and rap it a couple of times with a hammer.
Since the fastener is soft, it will not likely ruin a good quality Torx bit driven in. Personally, I've had limited success with this method, but I'd still try it.
Since the hole is pretty big, I'd try a bolt extractor next. Folks warn if you break one of those, then you really cry, but if it's not a small diameter extractor, it it less likely to break off.

Never heard of left hand drills but have a dremel, will try that and get the removal stuff from Craftsman. Thanks!

I will be around some tomorrow if you meet help and have a few of those shouldered bolts for after you get the bad one out

Did you ever do anything about tires or are you still interested in the ones I have here

Hi Bud. Sorry I was camping and didn't see this. I am still interested in the tires. I would like the help on this frustrating bolt, want to send this shifter for Jim's mod.

I was in Garner state park, beautiful and the TX hill country trail is a great road, definitely going back on the Rex!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back