• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Warning RE: Travel in Mexico

I'd think you'd wanna go for the poor gringo touristy look.

Ride a beat up TW200--the Mexicans will feel sorry for you and give you money.

I don't get your thinking here, did you imagine all those beheaded people were Canadians?
Very good point. There are quite a few on here that say white folks are the safest group of all. So why would you want to go down there and maybe look like you were someone that you weren't? Quite a silly thing to do if you ask me.

Is 200cc enough for Mexican highways? I'd want more displacement to outrun narco goons.
If they are after you, then you won't outrun them, period. So any worry of the sort is a pointless one.

So how do you stay inconspicuous in Mex? What bike do you ride? How do you dress? I was often mistaken for being Mexican when I was working as a bus boy. So I think I might be able to pass under the narco radar.

wear a pair of this ones and don't worry Mexicans will be able to sleep even if the didn't kill a gringo that day:rider:

PRESS RELEASES

:rofl::patriot:

Last edited:
This one is pretty close to home. Lockhart Man Missing.

SAN MARCOS — Carl Jonathan Wiegand tried to come home, but the bridge over Falcon Lake, along the Mexico border, was dark.

After visiting family in Monterrey, Nuevo León, the Lockhart resident called friends in McAllen on March 10 to say the Lake Falcon Dam International Crossing between Mexico and Texas seemed to be closed. Wiegand said he had to find another way into the United States.

That was the last anyone heard from him, his sister said.

"Devastation is really the only word I have to describe how it feels when you have a family member missing," Gretchen Wiegand Mayo said.

Mayo said the family has alerted multiple state and federal agencies, including the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office and the U.S. Consulate in Monterrey. But so far, more than two weeks since Wiegand contacted anyone stateside, they don't know much, Mayo said.

Wiegand, 35, is a soft-spoken graphic designer and artist, Mayo said.

"The kind of person that would give the shirt off of his back to help someone else in need," she said. "He would go out of his way to help other people."

He was last known to be driving southeast on Mexico Route 2 in a 1998 maroon Chevrolet Blazer with Texas plates: CC8-G299.

The family is offering a reward for helping to find him and asking anyone with information to call 512-230-1377 .

No telling if this is cartel related, too soon. I hope he gets home safely.

Why would you ******* go across Falcon Lake Dam at night? This escapes me.

:shrug: Trying to stretch his trip and went too long? With family in Monterrey it's possible he had grown complacent with several safe passages; got too comfortable with his route.

Last edited:
:shrug: Trying to stretch his trip and went too long? With family in Monterrey it's possible he had grown complacent with several sage passages; got too comfortable with his route.
Yep. That's the conclusions I'm coming to also. Complacency, comfortable with route.
Dang. So sorry this stuff has to happen. Devastating.

Possibly whoever was right in the middle of doing whatever they were doing and saw him use his cell phone.
The vehicle doesn't sound all that much of a prize.

A couple of weeks ago I talked with Rufus Maxfield from the San Antonio area. He told me about their last trip in Mexico in March. They were coming into El Fuerte where they had some problems. One person robbed and 3 of them ended up with bullet holes in a windshield, gas tank and saddlebag. Fortunately no one got hit and they got away. There were 5 of them in a group. All very experienced Mexico riders.

A couple of weeks ago I talked with Rufus Maxfield from the San Antonio area. He told me about their last trip in Mexico in March. They were coming into El Fuerte where they had some problems. One person robbed and 3 of them ended up with bullet holes in a windshield, gas tank and saddlebag. Fortunately no one got hit and they got away. There were 5 of them in a group. All very experienced Mexico riders.

:eek2: not good....

Were they riding and shot at or did they come out to find their bikes with the holes in the shields.

Were they riding and shot at or did they come out to find their bikes with the holes in the shields.

They were riding. I think Rufus told me they were headed to El Fuerte when they ran into the roadblock. I think it was Priscilla who stopped and possibly got robbed. The others ran the roadblock and that's when the shooting started.
He also wrote a letter to the BMWMOA and it's in this month's issue. I'll see if I can't get them to write up a more detailed report.

Back