• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1st time lay down on Edwards Road..All ok

Reaction score
Ok. I am still getting the hang of riding off the pavement. Just got new kicks for the Tiger 1050 and have been enjoying the new found spaces off the main roads.

Today I was in and around Glen Rose on the lesser unpaved county roads. I was a happy man celebrating Father's Day as God intended, on motorized two wheels.

So, having beaten twists and gravel and stared down a bull, a couple of cows and a small calf or two on these open, only guarded by cow gate roads, I was feeling pretty good. In fact, I was having a great ride. Following my route down a road I'd not been on yet, I travelled on and turned off HWY 51 just north of Paluxy on to Edwards Rd. Paved county road mostly with some lovely turns and scenery and then you get to the water crossing.

Water crossing - I mean, it's only a little water and if I go slow, it should be fine, right....right? Turns out no. You see, when low water only trickles over the road and the sun warms the water, you get algae and moss. Algae and moss so frictionless that it should be used instead of ice on hockey rinks. I only discover this amazing substance though after the back tire has swung out under the bike as I blithely rode over the crossing.

I was in second gear doing about 10 - 12 mph and one moment I was up and then I was sliding along the moss and the cool water with my bike just ahead of me. The only thought then running through me head was - How do you get a bike out of a river? See, the one side of the low water crossing was still just low water. The other side was actually pretty deep. i know this because I slid right past a guy standing in the creek who was up to his waist fishing. The look on his face is a priceless memory that I am happy I can laugh at now.

So anyway, still sliding on the moss,algae water and coming to a stop. Quick check - I'm wet, I have algae all on one side but that's it. I am in all my gear and was cushioned, padded and swaddled. In fact, other than gently dropping the bike on to a cloud of cotton, this was probably the softest lay down possible.

I'm still on the crossing, taking off helmet and looking at the bike and asking myself - it's slick as oil on ice so how I am going to get any grip on my shoes as I lift the bike? I mean, it was slick just standing there. This is when Texas steps in and takes care of her own.

On the side of the road that has low water, a family in their truck pull up and pile out. They are locals and live up the road and know all about it. The Dad gets out, comes over, asks all the right questions to me and helps me lift the bike.

It's lifted and we are baby stepping it over the slick, oil, ice, algae, moss God forbidden lack of any friction substance. The shakes have kicked in and the Dad is complimenting my falling style and together we get the bike back on dry ground. He gets back in the truck and they drive off. I am forever grateful for Texans helping Texans and for them specifically today.

I get my gear from where I left it and, other than a very wet jacket, it's all in good shape. I walk around the bike, dreading what I might see - nothing. No scratches, dents, dings, bug bites - nothing. The Hepco & Becker crash bars did their job and took the beating while the bike was sheltered.

Brakes, clutch, mirrors, tires, motor - everything else was good - I got a bruise on the knee and more adrenalin pumping thru my body than I needed but I'm in one piece. A few more minutes to collect myself and then I put on the gear, start the bike, mount up and head for home. You bet I took it easy all the way back until I got my confidence back.

Sure - I did stupid today. That's one lesson. The other is that I got help from some nice people, I minimized the damage with the riding gear and the preventative hardware on the bike and I'll be back doing it again next weekend..but without any water crossings.

Some pics as well just to give context.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 252
That stuff is evil. Always freaked me out running over it. So much so, that I'd walk them first looking for the best path and then at least make sure to run in the tracks left by four wheeled vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, happy you're okay. Second, glad the bike is okay.

But - well put together words, too. You're a good writer.

I do that crossing all the time and it was slicker than it's ever been today. I was all over the place and that's with the sidecar. Glad you survived.

I've made it safely over all the ones I ridden except for one...cracked ribs and a tweaked shoulder. Happens fast, doesn't it?

Thank you to all for the kind words and advice. Cleatus - I believe we saw each other coming off the north side of CR 104. Love the sidecar.

Looking forward to more off road adventures and when something is interesting, I'll post it.

Thank you to all for the kind words and advice. Cleatus - I believe we saw each other coming off the north side of CR 104. Love the sidecar.

Looking forward to more off road adventures and when something is interesting, I'll post it.

Heck, no! Be like the rest of us and post the crap, too. ;) I'll see you out there when I get something/anything operable.

Back