• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Down Sleeping Bags.

Most quality bags come with a storage bag and a compression/stuff sack. You want to store in something huge and breathable or store it laid out flat. Mine seems to have lost a touch of loft from being stored in a hanging trash bag with the top propped open. So breathability seems to count.

My bag is over kill for Texas but I did not buy it for Texas. This thread made me dig out my down bag. It is -40 bag. Even damp I have stayed warm. I camped many times in the snow above timberline when I was young and it always did well.:chug:

Most quality bags come with a storage bag and a compression/stuff sack. You want to store in something huge and breathable or store it laid out flat. Mine seems to have lost a touch of loft from being stored in a hanging trash bag with the top propped open. So breathability seems to count.

I keep mine in the breathing bag but I need another compression sack. Mine was feeling a bit flat until I unrolled and hit it with compressed air:trust:

Here's a suggestion, get a 0-Degree or 10-Degree bag and a silk bag liner. The person that said the rating is for survival and not comfort is right. Under normal conditions you'll be in weather from +50 to +10-20 at night. You can sleep in the liner by itself if its warmer than 50 and when the temperature is 10-20, the liner and the bag together will keep you comfortable.

My experience is the silk liner is good for about 10-15 degrees of warmth, packs very small, and keeps the inside of your sleeping bag clean too.

Here's a suggestion, get a 0-Degree or 10-Degree bag and a silk bag liner. The person that said the rating is for survival and not comfort is right. Under normal conditions you'll be in weather from +50 to +10-20 at night. You can sleep in the liner by itself if its warmer than 50 and when the temperature is 10-20, the liner and the bag together will keep you comfortable.

My experience is the silk liner is good for about 10-15 degrees of warmth, packs very small, and keeps the inside of your sleeping bag clean too.

You are so right. I use a synthetic silk liner and sometimes its all you need and sleep on top of the bag.

Im working on going to Northern Canada for 3 months though. Might get good and cold.

I went and bought a bag from Cabelas called Alaskan Guide in a 20 degree model. On sale for $100. Real goose down (treated )on top and sides and synthetic on the bottom for more compressability they say. Will try it out this weekend at the fish fry campout.

Back