• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Head Reconditioning

Reaction score
I called myself searching but didn't come up with anything. I've got a 2004 KTM 450 EXC I'm doing a top end on. I'd like to go ahead and have the head reworked. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Asking out of ignorance, and assuming you mean something more than freshing-up valves & etc., what would reworking the head accomplish that those Hi-Buck KTM Engineers couldn't? To paraphrase a line out of a little (old) booklet on hopping up iron-head Sportsters, "Don't whip out your Dremel and pretend you're Jerry Branch . . . unless, of course, you are Jerry Branch."

Just bringing back up to factory specs. I didn't do a leak down test but the top end has almost 500 hours on it and it's never been gone into. The valves and seats have to be worn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is nothing special about that particular KTM head, but I am not local to your region so I do not know the shops that do that in your area. However, there is a guy in Washington State who has built an entire business around re-building KTM RFS heads. His name is Dave Hopkins.

Here is a link. http://www.djhcyclesport.com/ It would be very easy to pack up your head and send it to him. He has done hundreds of them.

These particular heads can be made bullet-proof. The key part is using Kibblewhite Stainless Steel valves, especially on the intake side. The stock intake valves from KTM are soft and I guarantee yours are cupped out sharp enough to shave with. The fact that you got 500 hours out of them indicate a fairly easy life--you probably used your bike for dual sport and in relatively non-dusty conditions.

Even if you do not send the head to Dave, make sure your rebuilder uses Kibblewhite valves and not KTM stock valves.

Thanks. That's exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. That's exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are welcome. If you have any questions about any other top end parts or procedures, holler. I have owned and maintained a 2001 520 exc that I bought brand new and still have, so I do have some experience with these engines.

Back