• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ignition on a Honda Shadow VT1100C question

Reaction score
ac4ca5caff1c7a05bc5b15ef8443e9f1.jpg

This is the ignition set I got online for my 2006 Honda Shadow. Unfortunately, I got the wrong year, and this is 1996 ignition. Is there anyone out there that can help me wire this new set to work on my 2006 bike?

This one is the original off the 2006 bike.
a0ea9a90f7ca544e4b095025db3e3d62.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on the switch next to where the wires are soldered there is marking for what the wire is. batt=battery, ign= ignition

I will have to splice new set to original set.

:confused:

I'm not talking wires...I'm assuming the original problem is within the switch itself, not the wiring. If so, and you "wire" from the old harness to the new switch...will the thing even mount to the bike? It looks vastly different.

Looking at the schematics in my 97-98 service manual, the colors coming off the switch are
Red - BAT brings power from 30A main fuse
Blue/Orange - FAN sends power to Fuse A in the fuse block which powers the cooling fan
Red/Black - IGN sends power to the main bus in the fuse block

These look like they match your original switch wire colors.

As for the '96 switch, I don't have a wiring diagram for it but if you use a VOM and start with the red wire being equivalent to the BAT, then find one that goes hot when the key is on for IGN and one other that is continuously on for the FAN.

That's all I've got. Good luck!

Side note: what a difference in the quality of solder joints between the original switch and the replacement.

I was going to use the old connector and wires and splice to the new ignition set, just I have 2 extra wires. I spent $20 bucks on this from China, but I was just seeing if there's a way.

1-buy bottle of asprins or valium and take " as needed " .
2-order correct switch assembly
3-install new correct switch assembly
4-pray to proper deity you weren't foolish to try and use $20 mistake
Good luch with repair!

Back