• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone seen a ZX6R or similar upper on a ZR7?

Reaction score
I'm going to be swapping over some beefier showa forks and clip ons and the stock ZR7S fairing won't clear the bars. I'm looking at running a Ninja upper race fairing or possibly a full set, but curious if anyone's experienced heat issues when doing it.

Asking here because apparently people don't talk about bikes, or do things with them, on the dedicated Kawasaki forums.

Are you going with the clip ons because that is what you want or that is what the stock upper ZX triple clamp is set up for?

You can buy an upper triple with standard bar mounts if you want to keep your standard bars, or you can drill the zx triple and mount bar risers, I would suggest a plate to put under the riser as they are cast and not very thick in that area.

That is what I did on my ZRX when I converted it to ZX14 front suspension

A set of Heli bar risers may also give you enough up and back to clear the stock fairing if you are looking to keep it

As far a heat, that would be mostly rising from the engine and radiator and as long a you were not using the full lowers that would enclose those areas and allow heat to radiate up instead of having more airflow to dissipate I would see no issue.

Several ZRX guys went to the GPZ upper fairing for more wind protection and a different look over the standard fairing without going to the expense of buying all the parts for the Europe only but cool ZRX S type fairing

No I'm doing it because I want the better suspension/brakes and I prefer to ride with clip-ons. I just spend 20 minutes toying around the yard and up the road with bars and I just have a hard time coping with them.

The fairing, though, is more of a looks and wind protection thing. I never outgrew my poser-superbike-wannabe stage it seems.

I understand the desire for the better suspension and brakes, that is why I upgraded to ZX14 stuff on my bike. But I also like the more upright position of bars.

Maybe some of those drop style Z bars or flat drag bars would get you the clip on feeling and still give enough clearance

Last edited:
I understand the desire for the better suspension and brakes, that is why I upgraded to ZX14 stuff on my bike. But I also like the more upright position of bars.

Maybe some of those drop style Z bars or flat drag bars would get you the clip on feeling and still give enough clearance

This would be easier than a new fairing I bet. I am with Budrex some clubmans or Z-bars might work and be less of a hassle and expense. Clubmans are under $30 bucks.

Even clubmans won't clear the fairing. I really can't get but maybe an inch lower with the stock fairing.

It's fine...this seems to be new ground for this bike. I'll just have to work it out.:thumb::thumb:

Picture 338.jpg

Picture 339.jpgHang a set of flat tracker bars on that thing, then when your wailing into a turn you can grab her by the horns and bull dog it around the corner with out fear of running off the turn. Worked for me years ago when I converted my Triumph 750 flat tracker from racing trim to the street. The added leverage on the bars allowed me to wrestle that bike around roads like Lime Creek rd, back when no one else knew it was out there. Thats back when about the only person living out on that road was the famed Red Adair Wild Well fire fighter.

The above motorcycle as it sits there was weighed on a certified scale at the amount of 318 pounds with full gas and oil tank.

Last edited:
Back