• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I need your help!

Even half of $8450 is a very large profit margin for the dealer to fix that.
You can get a good complete running engine shipped to your front door off eBay for a quarter of that half off price.
They are not being nice cutting you a deal, they are playing you for a sucker.

Get your bike out of there, they are ripping you off.

Id ask you to go to an on line BMW parts site, put all the items needed to disassemble, then assemble a GS800 with all new bearings, piston, rod, crank, and just for giggles only 1/2 the transmission gears, even though it likely needs more than that,,,, add that up and see if you have the same opinion.

Id love to see the shop invoice for the estimated repair.. Id bet dollars to bearings, once the hard parts at OEM replacement costs are added up, and 10/12 hours labor at the shops going labor rate.. the numbers will amaze you.

Ive done the same thing a few times with both Kawasaki and Honda...out of boredom... Add up EVERY part in a single or 4 cylinder motor.... and see what the number ends up and thats without labor to dissemble, clean, inspect and reassemble.... Hint, you can buy the bike almost for what piecing together the motor costs.

All that said......Id rather see him get a "Good Used" motor from a crashed bike and get some help swapping it out........ There are not a lot of Dealer Techs Id trust to do a full engine build, and I can count on one hand the number Id be willing to pay money to.

Last edited:
Sounds like they're perfectly within their rights. That said, a little bad publicity can go a long way. I'd suggest contacting Channel 5, Ft Worth. They've kind of taken over the role as the area "consumer advocate" TV station, and they have a department full of people who help with consumer issues. There's nothing to be lost by giving them a call.

I can get a fresh engine for a BMW 760i (6 liter V-12) for $5128
A new crate engine for the 800gs from BMW is $11,207
I very seriously doubt it cost much more than $500 for them to build it.
You can get Ducati multistrada 1200 engine for what the 800gs engine brings on eBay.
The profit margin BMW is getting is crazy

You can buy a motor on ebay for $1435.00 and just put it in. But a little advise from a old man don't take street bikes to Red River. Like I told you before. The sand and water is corrosive on your bike and hard on the motor. If you buy a motor get with me and I will help you put it in. if you can get the bike to Waco.

I very seriously doubt it cost much more than $500 for them to build it.

I seriously doubt you took any time at all to look up the cost of parts..:giveup: Not to mention the number of hours it takes to pull the engine, tear down, clean, inspect, and rebuild.
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2013-bmw-f800gs/o/m155281

Look up the parts yourself.....
Are you willing to do it for $500?, warranty your work? Use only factory parts? Use only Factory authorized service tools? And put your name behind the build?

The OP is a serious crappy deal.....
BMW OWES him NOTHING, yet I'd love to see them make a customer good will decision and cover it.

That said some here are seriously unrealistic on what the work to be performed is worth, never mind what it costs.

Last edited:
You are not listening, I doubt it cost them $500 to build that engine, they throw over 2000% mark up on the parts because it is a motorcycle

Here's what I understand from the OPs postings so far: Less than 1K miles since purchased used, less than a year ago.

If true, and services (if required) were performed properly, fluids maintained, wouldn't you think the dealer might bear some brunt of the repair? If BMW came out and said it was a factory failure, is there no warranty at all on used bikes from that dealer? We're talking a couple months past warranty, not 10 years. I would think some sort of good-will fix would (or should) be in the cards. From my experience, all you need for some sort of good will to kick in is proof that it was a factory failure, and not yours. Seems like he has that.

I'd suspect the dealer is as culpable as BMW. That's assuming that they sold the bike as "almost no mileage, as good as brand new" rather than we've had this sitting around for a couple of years or it's a problem bike and we need to get rid of it. Just a guess, but I'm sure the salesperson painted as rosy a picture as he could. That is why I contacted the dealer, not BMW. If this is a true BMW product fault the dealer should have been a strong advocate for the OP.

Bottom line is: the ship has sailed. Whether anyone sees BMW's willingness to pay for half of an out of warranty repair is fair or not, the OP has decided to put in a salvage engine from a private source and will be selling or trading the bike.

Most importantly, there is a lesson in this about buying low mileage bikes from a dealer. There are a lot of low mileage bikes that have been in indefinite storage out there, some good some bad. The question should be why has it been sitting?

well in a Ideal world yes, some manufactures just don't like the American market or they are tired of the people here always trying to get something for nothing. I don't know.

it's not just BMW, Suzuki has extremely high prices on their parts.
they had a issue with the first year SV1000, many of them had a knock at idle due to crank shafts being machined improperly and having to much clearance.

in Europe, Suzuki fixed them, it involved tear down and replacement of the crank bearings with special bearings to compensate for the crank shafts that were machined too small. in the American Market Suzuki refused to fix them, you couldn't even get the special over sized bearing, if you didn't like the "normal knock" you had to buy a new crank shaft your self.

then there was the issue with the Bandit sucking down oil like a two stroke, the pistons were machined incorrectly, it took geat deal of pressure to get Suzuki to grudgingly do something about it.
sadly its not just motorcycle companies milking the American Market for everything they can and its not just imported ones doing it either.
remember the drug companies cranking up prices for fun?
I have had to replace a side window on a car (ford focus) and it was cheaper to order it from Australia Ford Dealer and pay the shipping cost than to buy it from the dealer here in America.

The parts market is less elastic than the motorcycle market. Once a customer selects a brand, that manufacturer has close to a monopoly on many parts. That is not to say they have a free hand with pricing parts. Smart customers - to the benefit of not so smart customers - are looking at life cycle cost. How much will this cost me in the long haul compared to the value I get from it?

BMW is pretty sophisticated. They understand their position in the market and their competition. They understand their costs to buy and to deliver. They balance the cost of outsourcing against the cost to make in house, both in terms of price and quality. And they understand the net net value of customer good will to their brand. There is always a need to interpret the math, but I'd be surprised to learn that BMW management is pricing based on how much they "like" a market rather than the math behind what it takes to do a profitable business there. Getting emotional about a business deal is a quick way to screw up. That's why dealers often sell to the emotional motivations of the buyer.

There is always a need to interpret the math, but I'd be surprised to learn that BMW management is pricing based on how much they "like" a market rather than the math behind what it takes to do a profitable business there. Getting emotional about a business deal is a quick way to screw up. That's why dealers often sell to the emotional motivations of the buyer.

In fact, that would be very uncharacteristic of the German way of doing business.

ok I just did some parts listing and converting and cross checking.
adjusted for conversion rates in place as of 1pm today central time.

crankshaft, crankshaft bearing halves(X8) (BMW sells them separately not in pairs)(who needs half a crank bearing!) rods (X2) and rod bearing halves (X4)

bought in the USA total is $2364.46(USD) bought in the UK total is $1581.82(USD) for a saving of $782.64 USD

radiator for a Freightliner Cascadia tractor $575
radiator for a suzuki SV1000 motorcycle $721

:tab You should submit a report to NHTSA. Given the nature of the failure and the potential for causing a fatality, they should take it seriously. IF enough similar reports roll in, BMW may have to issue a recall. In that case, you can actually recover some of your expense if you can prove how much you paid to get it fixed.

:tab The rear wheel hub on many 1200 boxer shaft drive bikes had a factory defect in the lugs where the brake rotor bolts threaded into the hub. The lugs would snap off, allowing the rear brake rotor to flop around. Mine did this on my 2005 1200 GS and it destroyed my rear brake and final drive in the process. My bike was WAY out of warranty, both in years and mileage!! I got the usual, "Wow, we've NEVER seen that!" from the dealer. Then I found out this was a relatively common problem once I poked around on the net. I also found out that BMW had quietly reworked the part on newer bikes, more than once! After some haggling back and forth, I did eventually get BMW to send me a brand new final drive. In the end, I basically paid for the labor to fix the bike. I was okay with that because it was not that bad considering they did some extra work for me while they had the bike. Six months later a recall was issued based on that failure. Lots of folks on Advrider were sending in paperwork to BMW proving they'd paid for the repair prior to the recall and BMW was cutting them checks for it.

:tab So I am not sour on BMW, yet... Yes, I had to go round and round with them a bit. But I LOVE my 1200 GS. I did eventually sell that 05, and having a brand new final drive on it actually helped me sell it since it had 60K miles on it. I replaced it with an 07 1200 GS and had the recall work done on it since it too had the defective hub. Other than the hub failure, which admittedly could have been REALLY ugly had I been moving at any serious speed, I've had no other issues with the bikes.

:tab I remember with the 1150 series of shaft drive boxers that final drive bearing failures were pretty common. My 02 1150 GS blew out the bearing at 28K miles. It was out of factory warranty because of age, but I bought the extended warranty and it was covered. Again, that was the only issue I had with that bike, and it DID go out at high speed in a corner! I still don't know how I got that stopped without crashing. I can't remember if a recall was ever issued for those, but I know a LOT of people stayed away from BMW because of that particular issue. BMW would not admit there was a problem. However, they made a big deal out of the new final drives on the 1200's when they first came out, especially the, "sealed for life" thing. It did not take long before that got changed back to changing the fluid on a regular interval.

:tab I had a KLR too. No problems with it. However, we ALL know about the doohickey issue. That was a known issue FOREVER with the KLRs and it could destroy the engine. Yet, Kawasaki never did anything to fix the problem in over 20 years of production of that bike. I don't know if they made a change when the newer models started appearing in 2008. For many years in the late 90s and early 2000s, Honda was having all kinds of issues with their regulator/rectifiers going out and frying the battery/stator in the process. It was particularly bad on VFR 750/800s. There was much howling about it on the emailing lists and forums. Honda never issued a recall. I think they did finally start making a different/newer reg/rec on new bikes, but never admitted there might have been a problem. MANY riders, myself included, got stranded in the middle of nowhere with a dead bike during that time.

:tab Every time we see a thread like this, people swear they will never buy X brand of bike again. Usually, it gets pointed out every time that ALL of the brands have issues. Sometimes they take care of it, sometimes they don't. The reality is that for most failures, the number of units affected is typically a small percentage of the total built and sold, NOT ALWAYS, but most of the time. Someone mentioned the new Bandits consuming oil like crazy, and I think the newer KLRs had a similar issue when they first came out. KTM's 1190/1290 bikes had some air box issues in the last few years that allowed crap to get in the engine. In the end, you'd be hard pressed to buy a brand that never had problems. I think the best you can do is buy the bike you want. Then hope you are not so unlucky as to be one of the people in that small percentage that might have a problem, or hope that if you do have a problem, it is one that affects everyone and has a better chance of seeing a recall.

:tab In the end, I don't think it is realistic to expect manufacturers to fix everything that pops up on bikes that are out of warranty, even if it is a defect or design flaw. As was pointed out, there is a reason why warranties expire. If they did not, we would be paying for it in higher prices up front. Engineers aren't all knowing. They do the best they can with the knowledge they have. They learn from experience and try to do better on the next design. Big problems usually affect a lot of people all at once and show up pretty quickly. Those usually get resolved. Problems that affect only a small number of people may show up much later and one can only hope the manufacturer sees it as being in THEIR best interest to take care of it. Whether or not they get resolved is often hit or miss. This is part of the risk we take in purchasing ANY product. It just really sucks when we happen to be one of the people that get stuck with a big bill when it doesn't get taken care of.

If true, and services (if required) were performed properly, fluids maintained, wouldn't you think the dealer might bear some brunt of the repair?

I'm not sure I'd stand by this one, and I'm not a huge fan of dealers in general. A dealer can only check so much on a used bike and checking for defective bearings inside the engine is a bit much to expect on every used bike coming through. Suppose this bike had been traded in at a Suzuki dealer and was running find when traded in (as it appears to have been according to the OP when he bought it)? Would the Suzuki dealer be responsible for repairs? I wouldn't put it on them.

I would hold the manufacturer responsible for a screw up though as is the case with defective parts. Arguing that a small number of owners should suck it up doesn't make sense. The manufacturer fixing a small number of owners bikes makes more sense. It's pretty much crap for a manufacturer to say "Oh yea, we screwed up on that one. Botched that one up pretty good, and look, it pretty much destroyed your engine. Sucks to be you!"

Of course, to add on to this, hey Yamaha, when are we getting a beefier subframe on the FJR? :rofl:

So I asked a buddy about situations like this. He said, Use social media to let as many people know.

Problem is, social media to me is a cup of coffee at the post office. Is there a service available to the public that can blast this kind of thing onto SM, for a price of course? Anybody ever heard of something like that. Might be a new business idea eh!

Is there a service available to the public that can blast this kind of thing onto SM, for a price of course? Anybody ever heard of something like that. Might be a new business idea eh!
Sure...it's called CNN, NBC or CBS. There are a slew of others that don't rise to that level of cost, but love to talk crap about anything or anyone.

So I asked a buddy about situations like this. He said, Use social media to let as many people know.

Problem is, social media to me is a cup of coffee at the post office. Is there a service available to the public that can blast this kind of thing onto SM, for a price of course? Anybody ever heard of something like that. Might be a new business idea eh!

Most advertising and marketing firms have social media divisions. Most are going to be industry specific. ninefiftyone.com is an example, but I doubt that they would take up this kind of client. The cost from a professional organization would probably be more than the motorcycle, much less the fix. One of the freelance exchanges would be the best bet.

Back